US envoys call off trip to Isaan

webfact

US envoys call off trip
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- US DIPLOMATS in Thailand have called off their plan to meet political groups in the northeastern region following reports that the Prayut government is uneasy about the move, Pheu Thai Party sources said yesterday.

The US embassy officials had scheduled to meet not only the red shirts but other village groups to gather opinions in the northeast last weekend. Such activity was not unprecedented, as the US embassy staff under then US ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney had also made visits there during her term, the source said.

Former Pheu Thai Party MPs said the MPs and red-shirt leaders had been warned by security officials against giving press interviews that cast a bad light on the government and the National Council for Peace and Order.

"We are ready to comply with the order for the sake of peace in the country. Our words have fallen on deaf ears [anyway] because the NCPO says it has its own road map for democracy,'' he said.

National Reform Council members can present their opinions and points of view to the US representatives on a personal basis - but not as NRC members, legal and justice reform chairman Seri Suwanpanont said yesterday.

Seri was referring to some NRC members seeking to gather signatures in protest against US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia Daniel Russel's call for Thailand to lift martial law and remark that the impeachment of ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra was politically motivated. Some reformers believed the remarks interfered in Thailand's internal affairs.

Seri said the NRC members had the right to express their opinions - but the council did not have a role in foreign relations. Although he personally supported the protest, he called on members wanting to express their views to do so on personal basis only.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/US-envoys-call-off-trip-30253156.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-02

To be truthful the very act of meeting with the Red Shirt leadership smacks of American subterfuge in another sovereign states affairs, the American involvement in installing their brand of ''democracy'' around the world has been somewhat spectacular in its results with enormous death tolls immense collateral damage and an upsurge in terrorism in general.

The C.I.A. track record over the years exposes the fact that the powers that be in that organisation are intent on destroying any country or anyone who disagrees with their aims.

The involvement of the C.I.A.In the Indo China region alone since the 1950's has indeed been a disaster for those nations that the C.I.A leprous hands touched.Let alone the rest of the world

Perhaps if those Americans intent on bringing ''democracy'' as they view it to other sovereign states actually looked inward at their own nation they may well find that their own house is in need of massive repairs before starting on other sovereign states issues.

Beware the industrial military complex

It was more likely the ACORN or SEIU reps making the trip. Don't discount the capability of a community organizer.

The US and it's allies should re-think their position on Thailand and weigh up the pluses and minuses , with the advent of the inclusion of the Chinese in Cobra even if in a small way, never the less China now has a foot in the door, old traditions and rules no longer apply, a new realistic strategic plan needs to be adopted fella's.coffee1.gif

The Thai government tells the world that the US does not understand Thailand and the Thai people, but when they go out to meet a range of people who are not just government spokespersons the government gets all upset.

Thainess at it's best.

It is a good way to get a real understanding of Thailand and her people by getting out and mixing with people from all social demographics of the country. You will never get an understanding and have absolutely no idea if you just speak to one person or read about it in the papers. The U.S needs to get out amongst the real people and educate themselves.

• Like 1

The US and it's allies should re-think their position on Thailand and weigh up the pluses and minuses , with the advent of the inclusion of the Chinese in Cobra even if in a small way, never the less China now has a foot in the door, old traditions and rules no longer apply, a new realistic strategic plan needs to be adopted fella's.coffee1.gif

Yes china please come in take the place of a long ally and mutual relationship with the USA. See how that works out after a few years, With the cold war over and the focus on the middle east what is the strategic interest now in Thailand for the USA?

I think the Philippine congress tried this and now there is an island being build off their coast with Chinese airplanes going to land on it soon. Now all of the sudden they want someone to stand up to china?

I would think that a military man like Prayut would understand the long game better. This should tell you if he really cares about the future of Thailand and the Thai people.

• Like 2

To be truthful the very act of meeting with the Red Shirt leadership smacks of American subterfuge in another sovereign states affairs, the American involvement in installing their brand of ''democracy'' around the world has been somewhat spectacular in its results with enormous death tolls immense collateral damage and an upsurge in terrorism in general.

The C.I.A. track record over the years exposes the fact that the powers that be in that organisation are intent on destroying any country or anyone who disagrees with their aims.

The involvement of the C.I.A.In the Indo China region alone since the 1950's has indeed been a disaster for those nations that the C.I.A leprous hands touched.Let alone the rest of the world

Perhaps if those Americans intent on bringing ''democracy'' as they view it to other sovereign states actually looked inward at their own nation they may well find that their own house is in need of massive repairs before starting on other sovereign states issues.

The CIA didn't advertise it's meetings as far as I can recall.

The Thai government tells the world that the US does not understand Thailand and the Thai people, but when they go out to meet a range of people who are not just government spokespersons the government gets all upset.

Thainess at it's best.

Now just guess what would happen if we sent envoys all over the US to meet with all the opposition.

• Like 2

Well, their brand of Democracy?

Mubarak

Saddam

Pinochet

Pol Pot

Saudi Arabia

They only insist on Democracy if they don't like the current government. If the current government is fully supporting them they don't care about democracy.

And how is that different from almost any other Western country????

The US has NO business at all stirring up the red menace. Mind your own business USA!!!!

Just goes to show that they don't really care about a countries stability and tells me that they had Taksin in their back pocket and that they don't mind supporting a tyrant that was responsible for thousands of crimes against humanity and extrajudicial killings. As long as USA can make more money then go ahead.

• Like 2

The US has NO business at all stirring up the red menace. Mind your own business USA!!!!

Just goes to show that they don't really care about a countries stability and tells me that they had Taksin in their back pocket and that they don't mind supporting a tyrant that was responsible for thousands of crimes against humanity and extrajudicial killings. As long as USA can make more money then go ahead.

"Red menace" ??? You'll be calling them "commies" next.

I find it sad when I see that some people still are so shortsighted as to be taken in by the Takhsin "boogie man" idea. If you think that is what this is all aboutbyou really need to get some of that "attitude adjustment" the govt is handing out.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I would say that the US is fully aware that if and when any kind of real democracy returns , they won't be dealing with the people who are in office now.

I don't recall a big hoo ha from the Junta when Thaksin and Yingluck had a meeting with Chinese a few months ago , P-Man went over there a week later

There is a huge difference between the opposition visiting a foreign government in that particular country, and a foreign government visiting the opposition in their country.

This sounds more like CIA tactics. What's the next? US providing weapons to the red shirts?

• Like 2

+1 You are absolute right but Thailand was a supporter of the US war in Indochina until the very last end.

Thailand will not be afraid of US, because most productions are for Japanese companies. Japanese prefer not to work with China and Korea, and that make windfall profits for Thailand by using cheap migrant labors from Cambodia and Myanmar. Only method for US to put economic sanctions, that will limit Thailand exports to Europe and US. They will rock the food price market in Thailand will bring them to democracy. With 32.5/$ and when oil price is $50 US cannot do anything except keep mouth closed or keep begging Thailand for elections.