US envoys call off trip to Isaan

webfact

I don't think the US government would have a problem with anyone speaking with Republicans and Democrats. The point is there is now NO freedom of speech here.

The US government isn't in a state of 'martial law' because of a corrupt and incompetent government killing it's own citizens.

'The point is' you still have the freedom to post your misleading tripe here on ThaiVisa

• Like 2

It is a good way to get a real understanding of Thailand and her people by getting out and mixing with people from all social demographics of the country. You will never get an understanding and have absolutely no idea if you just speak to one person or read about it in the papers. The U.S needs to get out amongst the real people and educate themselves.

Oh okay, so does that apply to all of the World's governments? Or merely the sole preserve of the US, again?

WOW! The yanks are listening, for a change! w00t.gif

Sadly enough, the Yanks did listen to the cries for help from Europeans when Hitler invaded the whole of Europe with relative ease.

If they had not listened, nowadays Sauerkraut would be the main staple from Lisbon to Warsaw and from Oslo to Palermo..

• Like 1

All I saw was US guys scared to go to Issan...Sounds like me.

I don't mind Issan at all, (kinda boring - kinda enjoy it), it's the nail-biting 7 hour drive to go 200 miles (320 km).

I average 30 mph (48 kph) and it's the scariest place in the world to drive or be a passenger.

I would say that the US is fully aware that if and when any kind of real democracy returns , they won't be dealing with the people who are in office now.

I don't recall a big hoo ha from the Junta when Thaksin and Yingluck had a meeting with Chinese a few months ago , P-Man went over there a week later

There is a huge difference between the opposition visiting a foreign government in that particular country, and a foreign government visiting the opposition in their country.

This sounds more like CIA tactics. What's the next? US providing weapons to the red shirts?

There is no elected government. The country is run by the military. So, no opposition. I don't think this was a good call by the US, considering the situation we are now in. But if they were meeting with leaders of the former government, then that kinda makes sense. Elections will happen again and these former leaders will probably be prominent players again. Best to keep in touch with them. Nothing nefarious about this. Unless of course you hate the US.whistling.gif

I would say that the US is fully aware that if and when any kind of real democracy returns , they won't be dealing with the people who are in office now.

I don't recall a big hoo ha from the Junta when Thaksin and Yingluck had a meeting with Chinese a few months ago , P-Man went over there a week later

Dont forget. The red shirts are obamas kind of people. You give em an obamaphone you get their vote for life.

To be truthful the very act of meeting with the Red Shirt leadership smacks of American subterfuge in another sovereign states affairs, the American involvement in installing their brand of ''democracy'' around the world has been somewhat spectacular in its results with enormous death tolls immense collateral damage and an upsurge in terrorism in general.

The C.I.A. track record over the years exposes the fact that the powers that be in that organisation are intent on destroying any country or anyone who disagrees with their aims.

The involvement of the C.I.A.In the Indo China region alone since the 1950's has indeed been a disaster for those nations that the C.I.A leprous hands touched.Let alone the rest of the world

Perhaps if those Americans intent on bringing ''democracy'' as they view it to other sovereign states actually looked inward at their own nation they may well find that their own house is in need of massive repairs before starting on other sovereign states issues.

Beware the industrial military complex

Some interesting points. The types of activities that were mentioned are not limited to the USA. There are several other players that have also played and are playing the same "game".

When getting on my soap box, I try to keep my audience in focus and struggle not to forget other important points. I often forget my glasses and my vision is blurred as a result.

"Former Pheu Thai Party MPs said the MPs and red-shirt leaders had been warned by security officials against giving press interviews that cast a bad light on the government and the National Council for Peace and Order."

What casts a bad light on the government is that it got where it is by force, and it is scared of its population speaking out.

Population speaking out? The red shirt leaders are all on Thaksin's payroll and will only work for Thaksin and what is best for the Shin clan.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

To be truthful the very act of meeting with the Red Shirt leadership smacks of American subterfuge in another sovereign states affairs, the American involvement in installing their brand of ''democracy'' around the world has been somewhat spectacular in its results with enormous death tolls immense collateral damage and an upsurge in terrorism in general.

The C.I.A. track record over the years exposes the fact that the powers that be in that organisation are intent on destroying any country or anyone who disagrees with their aims.

The involvement of the C.I.A.In the Indo China region alone since the 1950's has indeed been a disaster for those nations that the C.I.A leprous hands touched.Let alone the rest of the world

Perhaps if those Americans intent on bringing ''democracy'' as they view it to other sovereign states actually looked inward at their own nation they may well find that their own house is in need of massive repairs before starting on other sovereign states issues.

Beware the industrial military complex

Well, their brand of Democracy?

Mubarak

Saddam

Pinochet

Pol Pot

Saudi Arabia

They only insist on Democracy if they don't like the current government. If the current government is fully supporting them they don't care about democracy.

You make a valid point , however which do you prefer as a friend , totalitarian Communist China or the US, your call, it's a free world even though if you are in Thailand if you have to weigh up where the free part actually start. have a good week..

Diplomats will tell you that are no "friends" in international relations, only interests (or strategic alliances). Moreover, why must such a choice be made in the first place?... it's no more than an assessment of "lesser evil". That's exactly why the non-aligned movement emerged in the first place.

Dont forget. The red shirts are obamas kind of people. You give em an obamaphone you get their vote for life.

It is possibly far more frivolous than this. The lame duck US president would have probably liked to have returned to Thailand, as he has mentioned earlier. Under the current situation, that would not be possible.

Sadly enough, the Yanks did listen to the cries for help from Europeans when Hitler invaded the whole of Europe with relative ease.

If they had not listened, nowadays Sauerkraut would be the main staple from Lisbon to Warsaw and from Oslo to Palermo..

The whole of Europe?

Are you sure?

They need to close the door on China's foot and tell the US to mind their own business.

If you want to trade with someone who does not plan on taking over and has some class, trade with Japan. They also know how to build railroads.

It was wrong for Russell to meet with either group alone. Who the H ask him to stick his nose in, Kerry ?? or Dubai Dudes friends.

I think The Dude envisions himself someday riding into Thailand on a Donkey on Palm Sunday, get the jest ??

"Former Pheu Thai Party MPs said the MPs and red-shirt leaders had been warned by security officials against giving press interviews that cast a bad light on the government and the National Council for Peace and Order."

What casts a bad light on the government is that it got where it is by force, and it is scared of its population speaking out.

Population speaking out? The red shirt leaders are all on Thaksin's payroll and will only work for Thaksin and what is best for the Shin clan.

And the minority that seized the streets of Bangkok to dispose of a democratically elected government? They were thinking of Thailand as a whole or their own, self interests ?

It is always interesting that somebody has to show their hatred for the popularly government and it's supporters, as if that is some sort of great explanation for meriting martial law and the quashing of free speech.

• Like 1

The Thai government tells the world that the US does not understand Thailand and the Thai people, but when they go out to meet a range of people who are not just government spokespersons the government gets all upset.

Thainess at it's best.

The question is if they really want to gather information and opinions, why don't they invite relevant people to come to the embassy instead of making a public drum roll about it? Maybe some of the informants even get through the checkpoints along the way...

And the minority that seized the streets of Bangkok to dispose of a democratically elected government? They were thinking of Thailand as a whole or their own, self interests ?

It is always interesting that somebody has to show their hatred for the popularly government and it's supporters, as if that is some sort of great explanation for meriting martial law and the quashing of free speech.

Don't even bother to explain to such feeble mind. The yellow shirts are also on someone payroll and will only act on the command of someone and what's best for that someone probably from the establishment.

The red shirts are a product of Thaksin. They are financed by Thaksin to fight for him. That's it.

No need to start talking about free speech etc. Unfortunately the ones that have something to say are not heard as long as billionaires control them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sure about that?

• Like 1

There is a huge difference between the opposition visiting a foreign government in that particular country, and a foreign government visiting the opposition in their country.

This sounds more like CIA tactics. What's the next? US providing weapons to the red shirts?

There is no elected government. The country is run by the military. So, no opposition. I don't think this was a good call by the US, considering the situation we are now in. But if they were meeting with leaders of the former government, then that kinda makes sense. Elections will happen again and these former leaders will probably be prominent players again. Best to keep in touch with them. Nothing nefarious about this. Unless of course you hate the US.whistling.gif

You may be right...if Prayut said that he will not run for PM in a future election..or creates a new party...But..he didn't...and he may get Royal suppor in doing that. To relax and wait may be the best attitude..

To get into any trouble with him now is not a right move...in my opinion.

The red shirts are a product of Thaksin. They are financed by Thaksin to fight for him. That's it.

No need to start talking about free speech etc. Unfortunately the ones that have something to say are not heard as long as billionaires control them.

Spoken with infatic authority without compromise. As long as you hate Thaksin you can do no wrong. Also blaming everything on Thaksin and the billionaires is far too easy. One only has to look in the mirror to where the problems start.

What is it that you don't understand in the word 'former'?

I doubt that the former leader will be a prominent player in the next election, after she was impeached.

The US has NO business at all stirring up the red menace. Mind your own business USA!!!!

Just goes to show that they don't really care about a countries stability and tells me that they had Taksin in their back pocket and that they don't mind supporting a tyrant that was responsible for thousands of crimes against humanity and extrajudicial killings. As long as USA can make more money then go ahead.

from another thread

US meeting with a deposed and disgraced ex PM is hardly diplomatic genius and then planning to meet with what amounts to a home grown terror group was just the icing on the cake

I have also said that Prayth's response was not stellar either

I believe that there is more to this than we know about and just maybe the US is unhappy with Thailand's current growing relations with China, and if anyone thinks that there has been no none public back chatter going on between the two countries and officials for a considerable time then you don't have a clue how stuff really works

The relationship is obviously strained but the US brought it into the public eye and in my opinion that was an error of judgment

I do honestly believe this whole diplomatic spat is about Thailand and China and the current administration forming relations that the US do not approve with China and quite frankly I have to agree

• Like 1

Yes they supported the "free" world in 2 world wars against aggressive German regimes bent on domination of Europe. In both wars they entered late, at a point of time they decided on, and after lending money and supplies to the "allies" they eventually joined. (Italy was an ally of Germany btw in WW2). The Japanese allies of Germany brought them into WW2 after attacking Peal Harbor whilst in pursuit of their won Asian Pacific goals.

America politically was driven by financial and defense motivations, and especially by future aspirations. Nothing wrong in that, every country is. But no need to try to dress it up as some sort of crusaders for democracy, freedom and justice. Easter Europe was happily ignored and allowed to fall under Soviet dictatorship when required.

This in no way detracts from many millions of brave US service people who gave their lives in a number of wars whilst serving their country.

Don't even bother to explain to such feeble mind. The yellow shirts are also on someone payroll and will only act on the command of someone and what's best for that someone probably from the establishment.

That may well be true Eric. But glad to see you acknowledge that the red shirts and their self appointed non democratic non elected leaders are owned and controlled lock, stock and barrel by the non elected criminal fugitive Thaksin and only act when instructed and in his interests.

• Like 2

<quote> Former Pheu Thai Party MPs said the MPs and red-shirt leaders had been warned by security officials against giving press interviews that cast a bad light on the government and the National Council for Peace and Order.

That should convince the USA that Thailand is a free & democratic country... I remember when we were in Romania in the early 90's and groups of more than 4 were illegal and people actually had to have their curtains open in their homes! Who else prohibited free speech and freedom of it's citizens to say what they wanted to listen to what they wanted? Let me think..... Good job Thailand is a democracy (it must be, there's an 'elected' PM, right?)

• Like 2

A Man City supporter speaks?

• Like 1