Fined for not having license

MrEnigma

My wife keeps her license on the sun visor, so it is always available.

Well tell your wife to move it, as if it's a Thai credit card type, the heat in car over time causes the ink on the license to fade, learned this one first hand and had to get a new Thai 5 year DL issued as they original one became illegible

My friend and I on our M/Cs stopped on Beach road outside the Police station for licence check.

No problem as we both have 5 year licences bit it wasn't tea money they were after outside the Bobby shop it was just "revenue"

Things must be slow in Pattaya these days for everyone including the city.

OP Just curious does your home country allow you to not have a lic on you when driving? You usually get a ride down to the cop shop in the states for no ID till they clear you have not committed a crime & you are cleared after a healthy fine after proving you have a Lic. to drive . Same in 8 countries I lived at No lic means you are busted & technically you are supposed to have a passport on you although a Thai Lic. always suffices. Just curious under what situation besides losing your LIC.(And you would have a copy of the police report on you) Why you would feel privileged to not need proper ID ? I can see a lot of things to complain about but you were definitely in the wrong as it does state on your initial driver licensing papers when you first got your LIC. You are obligated to carry necessary documentation for

Driving privileges as in every country

OP Just curious does your home country allow you to not have a lic on you when driving? You usually get a ride down to the cop shop in the states for no ID till they clear you have not committed a crime & you are cleared after a healthy fine after proving you have a Lic. to drive . Same in 8 countries I lived at No lic means you are busted & technically you are supposed to have a passport on you although a Thai Lic. always suffices. Just curious under what situation besides losing your LIC.(And you would have a copy of the police report on you) Why you would feel privileged to not need proper ID ? I can see a lot of things to complain about but you were definitely in the wrong as it does state on your initial driver licensing papers when you first got your LIC. You are obligated to carry necessary documentation for

Cannot argue with a person that is right but and its a big but.

We are not talking about any Western type country where the law is observed and enforced fairly are we?

Whilst Rob and I were being "checked" earlier today, there were multiple Thais on M/cs with no crash helmets going passed the same policemen who had stopped us.

If the police had stopped us from a sense of making sure that we were properly insured, properly licensed and that our machine was in a roadworthy condition, like they do in most of the Western Countries that Farangs come from and also to ensure that we were complying with the law and ergo public safety......OK no problem!

Do I really need to spell it all out?

The only way that the BIB today were in any way helpful to the many farangs that they were taking money from in the way of proper and genuine tickets for breaking the law was by at least doing it outside the local cop shop and thereby not causing the eveil lawbreakers to have to get a m/c taxi to go and pay the fine.

Did you get a ticket?

If so it should tell you where to produce your documents and pay the fine.

If you decide to ignore same you may have problems renewing you road tax next time.

If no ticket, nothing to do.

Been through that already. You'll be asked to pay the fine at the cop station before you can renew. It was about 200 baht more and a quick trip to the station.

eg: It's OK in Victoria (Australia) and you have 7 days to produce it provided you're over 26 and have an open licence. In NSW it'll cost you $99.

This is why you do not live there anymore, stupid... rules !

Good job by the traffic cops. Anyone should carry their driving license.

In my country you would have to leave your car behind and you will be fined 200 .

Stupid rules? So for you people who don't have a driver license should just be allowed to carry on, right?

Too be honest, it aint the no license that bothers me.

As one who drives in Pattaya, do these tawats actually have any valid insurance?

I really dont care about back o nowhere Boise Idaho or Tasmania or in your country, TIT, get legal or get shafted.

• Like 1

Ya that is the problem Most of the people driving without licenses can have revoked licenses in their country. <deleted> do you do if you have an accident & god forbid you don't have a lic for the heat . Your gonna go to jail in any country regardless. You guys are lucky in Oz land I think it is now a $390.00 fine for not carrying a license

And for sure you can expect to be taken down to the cop shop while they run every possible way to find out who you are. And then there is the impound fee. You don't get a free pass like here. You do not get to drive the car home .Either a passenger that has a valid lic. will be able to drive the car down to the cop shop while you get it all sorted, If the cars credentials are all paid up no outstanding warrants parking tickets & unpaid fees or registration & they will need to see your insurance current. there is no - But I left it at home unless the officer is your cousin.While I don't really care for authority figures. The drivers lic. law is actually a good thing & protects everyone (pretty much) from skaters that are gaming the system & don't carry insurance because they have no lic.

Now If you forgot your wallet & everyone of us has done that before (most likely) . That is a valid reason but if you feel privileged to drive in any country without proper credentials, You need to get a clue. No one is that special or all of us would say fck off & that would justify all the losers that never get a lic. or ins & then can't pay for a wreck or injury. So in short bitching about being foolish is a mute point Next!coffee1.gif

• Like 1