Poll About Ip-star Satellite Broadband Internet

Guest Reimar

IP-Star: usefull or useless?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Reimar

In the past more than 3 month we faced lot problems with IP-Star from CS-Loxinfo.

The first and on beginning the biggest problem was: to REACH SOME ONE FROM THE TECHNICAL SERVICE. For a period of more than 2 1/2 weeks nobody was answering the calls. Every time the speech of the voice mail told that no agent available for service and they will transfer the call to the next agent. One day I counted: more than 5 1/2 hour on voicemail system with one (1) CALL!! And this from a mobile phone!

After I send a message to the service that I will stop all payments with immediate effect I was able to get someone on the phone who told me to calling back within latest 1/2 hour. That was all and never listen anything from this person again.

2 weeks on I enter the office of CS-Loxinfo in BKK and came to someone titled: Assistant Managing Director Sales and Marketing. I was talking about the situation, show the print outs from the testing’s and he was agree with me that this is a situation where no one can work.

OK, he promised to solve the problems within a few days, maybe one week. WOW!! Within the next few weeks I get a lot of different stories to listen. True or not, I never got anything else’s as NOTHING!!

I already stopped the payments for June until and include today. Also I submitted a "nice" report to Bangkok Post, The Nation and Thai Day including publishing this report on the Internet.

This report I also submitted to CS-Loxinfo and that was the day when the service getting much more reliable: They started to do something! Or better: They try to do something’s since that day!

First was changing the Modem and the Receiver in front of the Dish. Then they change the channel (pipe).

The main problems until today are: 1. Corrupt data packets; 2. Upload speed slow; 3. VoIP Telephone from CAT useless while “dirty” noise; 4. Remote connection for service useless because of too long delay time.

After I forced CS-Loxinfo many times, on next coming Tuesday engineers from CS-Loxinfo and from THAICOM Satellite want do a dual test simultan from my office to THAICOM and back. To prepare myself for this test I started to download 26 files, completely 1.8 GByte several times with Netgain disabled and Netgain enabled. This I have done today with a download speed of ~ 64 KBps and will do tomorrow the same again while within Office hour the speed drops rapidly and the packets corrupt much more.

We doing service for Networks, LAN and WAN and and Web-Hosting. And as our customers paying to us we paying for services we get and not for the one we do NOT get. I explained that facts to the people of the management of CS-Loxinfo and promised to them that we will start to pay if we get a service we can use with a minimum of 90% clean downloads. I also promised to them that we will NOT pay for the time we do not get the service! As we running a Service Company by our self which is fully legal registered in Thailand and under Thai Law we expect the same clean service from other companies as we giving to them. And we also have to explain to the Revenue Department while we paying for a service we do not get!

I know that a lot other subscribers of the IP-Star service from various companies have the same problems. So I start this Poll to find out what are the most problems. And I do believe that many of us will profit from this information.

Thanks to all of you.

Guest Reimar

Hi,

I like to get as much votes as possible until tomorrow at noon and even later on from subscriber of all IP-Star ISP's. But it will be have some effect if I can show the Guy's from CS-Loxinfo and Thaicom the result.

Last night the connection to the Internet broken and I have to start the downloads in the morning again.

Tomorrow I will have some questionair to the guy's from CS-Loxinfo and THAICOM. One of this question will by: Why the lable on the receiver in front of the dish showing Input DC power 15 - 30 V and there is not any power connection on the dish and the cable running to the dish are just Coaxial cable!

Just in the moment the download connection broke many times already and I have to resume the downloads manually with DAP.

In a short while I have to leave to BKK but will be back in the later afternoon to my office and will start to check the completed downloads.

The sresults from today I will post this evening.

Thanks

Silly question but how do you vote for only the options that apply to myself and not those that do not apply. In my case I think it is useful, but have no problems, and there is not a "none of the above" button?

If I select only useful and none of the other options the poll comes back with an error when I post it.

On the issue of "Tomorrow I will have some questionair to the guy's from CS-Loxinfo and THAICOM. One of this question will by: Why the lable on the receiver in front of the dish showing Input DC power 15 - 30 V and there is not any power connection on the dish and the cable running to the dish are just Coaxial cable!"

You answered your question, it is in the coax (ODU/LN-A/B polarity switch) feed from the ODU to the ISU.

Edited by jsat

Hi Reimar, I will of course fill out the questionnaire, yet is it possible to select multiple answers per question? Too late now I guess, but in some cases, it would be helpful!

Good luck tomorrow Reimar,

and I am hooking up a battery to my receiver right now Jsat :-)

erm ... Is it supposed to start communicating using smoke signals now LOL

Reimar,

I have nearly all the problems. But can only check one.

Good luck maybe they give you a more professional package without telling you and it will work for you.

I expect my buddy internet tomorrow maybe it is better and I can stop IPStar

Guest Reimar
Silly question but how do you vote for only the options that apply to myself and not those that do not apply. In my case I think it is useful, but have no problems, and there is not a "none of the above" button?

If I select only useful and none of the other options the poll comes back with an error when I post it.

On the issue of "Tomorrow I will have some questionair to the guy's from CS-Loxinfo and THAICOM. One of this question will by: Why the lable on the receiver in front of the dish showing Input DC power 15 - 30 V and there is not any power connection on the dish and the cable running to the dish are just Coaxial cable!"

You answered your question, it is in the coax (ODU/LN-A/B polarity switch) feed from the ODU to the ISU.

Hi,

maybe everybody excuse me but I've post this yesterday at midnight and I was really tierd! Unfortnunatly the options for a poll limited, or I don't know yet. I've 3 different questions only and I don't know how to deal with multiple answers! But I'll try my best to do it better the next time.

And JSAT, you're right: I forgot to plase the ALL or NOT answers as well.

For info to all: From 26 downloads today with Netgain disabled 22 are canceled and I just try to start them again!

Guest Reimar

Hi,

as of right now:

The IP-Star system keeps rebooting the whole day! :D

Downloads nearly impossible, only some with download accelerator goes true! :o

The Gateway was changed several times from the engineer! :D

All settings of the Box was changed many times as well! :D

Result: Nothings works so that we able to use the IP-Star just for basic things! :D

Let see they get it to work today??!!

This is the 6. time I try to send this post!

reimar:

I don´t want to troll, and don´t take it serious...

I just got buddy internet and it is something I forgot already in 4 hours I download 1.6 GB

after some time IPStar you think that web is working sometimes is already a good service.

But I tell you there is different world...

Keep on fighting and if you need a specific dl let me know and I do it and send you a CD.

(IPSTar since Jan)

Hi,

as of right now:

Result: Nothings works so that we able to use the IP-Star just for basic things! :D

I have had very few problems with Ipstar and have stated so in the past. Lately (as in the last week) I have had to turn the modem on/off 2-3 times before it will connect. But once the connection is made no problems at all. BTW, just from talking to a few friends that have problems with Ipstar they invariably have the cheaper package. I'm paying 4,280 baht a month and although this is high by Thai standards it beats not having an internet connection.

How about adding to the poll to show what package (cost) the user has?

BTW I've had Ipstar since December of 2005.

I know GaryA loves Ipstar! :o

Guest Reimar
reimar:

I don´t want to troll, and don´t take it serious...

I just got buddy internet and it is something I forgot already in 4 hours I download 1.6 GB

after some time IPStar you think that web is working sometimes is already a good service.

But I tell you there is different world...

Keep on fighting and if you need a specific dl let me know and I do it and send you a CD.

(IPSTar since Jan)

Hi,

as of right now:

Hi h90,

finally that guy get something to work: after THAICOM changed the physical Gateway Server!!

Now: down 60+ KBps and up 21+ KBps which both is qiuiet OK!!

But I have ADSL from (UN)True in my old house: 2. Mbps down and 512 kbps up. Just in the moment local down at 1.7 Mbps down an inter 50 - 90 kbps down and up with 350 kbps

Thats real funny: upload 4 to 6 times faster than download!!

But anyway thanks you so much for your generous offer while I download in my old house over night 12 GByte withn 7 hour!! Thats really bad!! The truiths is that I can do that with the IDA (Internet Download Accelerator) only. Normal downloads with Firefox or IE6 is done with max 70 KBps.

By the way KBps stands for Kilo Byte per second and kbps for kilo bits per second

Hi,

as of right now:

Hi Reimer,

I have been experiencing very similar problems as you have suffered over the last few days and a few more. The CSLOXINFO service centre is a pain in the neck !!! Getting to actually talk to someone who can actually assist is very rare. I have done some additional work to the Shin decoder in terms of cooling it - this appears to have helped - if you are on email I can let you have details and pictures.

suandaao

Guest Reimar

Hi,

as of right now:

Downloads nearly impossible, only some with download accelerator goes true! :D

Hi Reimer,

I have been experiencing very similar problems as you have suffered over the last few days and a few more. The CSLOXINFO service centre is a pain in the neck !!! Getting to actually talk to someone who can actually assist is very rare. I have done some additional work to the Shin decoder in terms of cooling it - this appears to have helped - if you are on email I can let you have details and pictures.

suandaao

Hi,

thanks for your replay suandaao.

I have this problems since 25. April 2006!! But within the last 3 weeks a lot of things was changed.

First at all they change the Modem and the Receiver and after that I was able to get much better speed. :o Than they changed the channel (pipe) and the speed get even better. After that I found out that outside of office hour everythings was going true!! WOW!! :D:D But within Office hour 90+% data corrupt.!! :D

And the Modem startet to reboot very often! :D

Yesterday the engineer from CS-LOXINFO was getting headache because the modem was rebooting every few minutes, sometimes seconds!! He have also to use my mobile for calling because his 2 phones running out of battery power after several hour of callings to the head office!! Fianally he get it work in coop with THAICOM.

The problems are with THAICOM. As the engineer told me, they do not have several Backup Gateway Server. If this is true than it is a shame!! He also told that the last few month, since May 2006 the problems occurs and thet they do not get it to work!

Today I will keep testing downloads and uploads with different settings.

By the way I have to pay about THB 5,000.00 per month incl. 5 static IP's. The signup is don for my company and not private. I also cool down the Modem 24/7 and a thermometer is attached to the box while the temperature never exceed 35 Celsius! Cool enough I do believe! The modem even have the own UPS with Stabilizer and nothing else is connected to that UPS. What more I can do?

Anyway, My e-mail address is public open in my profile. It would be fine if you can send me your info.

Thanks a lot.

Guest Reimar

Update to the service of IP-Star[/font=Arial Black]

Today in the morning the Modem starts rebooting every few minutes. Not any download can taken normal.

The problems are by THAICOM. They know since May 2006 but do not solve or can not or don't want to solve the problems!!??

Is this a Shin Policy to start up problems but not solve? See IP-Star, or AIS (Network busy) or Thailands S....??

Guest Reimar

For update the situation at our IP-Star:

Nothin works include e-mail.

I wrotye a complain to CS-LOXINFO and send from my good old (UN)TRUER ADSL.

Take look at it, but I xxxx the names:

Dear Khun xxxxxxxxx and Khun xxxxxx!

Take a look on the pics I send as attachment.

You will see different things:

1. The speed varies from high speed up to over 100 Kbyte/s (for a very short time) down to 0 Kbyte/s

2. Speed goes to 0 and all downloads stops until total disconnection

3. Box reboots

Today on daytime the box was rebooting every few minutes until around 17.00 h.

After 17.00 h the cycle of rebooting extends and as I sit right now here within the last 30 minutes the box rebooted twice and it is 21.00 h night time.

To finish even a single download without to sit on the computer the whole time and restart the download many times, is not possible. To send a e-mail with attachment needed today 12 time restarting of the sent procedure and than for 800 Kbyte 1 1/2 hour!

Same was happen on Monday on the Daytime but in the evening and night not any rebooting and continuous downloading. After Khun xxxxxx and THAICOM changed the Gateway yesterday to a new "much better" one, the system gets much worst!

Under these circumstances this system is totally to 100% unusable for us. It is now nearly 4 (four) month (25. April until today) the service from IP-Star is unusable for normal daily work.

As a customer we do expect that we get the service we need and have to pay for! If our supplier expects that we pay for a service he can not give us we do believe we have the right to cancel all payments for that time being while our supplier is unable to service us. And with cancel all payments we mean that we will not pay anything for that time we did not get the service.

As costumer we’re also not responsible for any system testing or Beta-Testing at all. But if we do so that means that we servicing our supplier to help him to get him faulty system to work.

The hours I personally spend for down- and upload test and Speed test and so on summarize already in much more than 150 hour over a period of more than 3 month, time we will charge our costumers for if we do such working for him! Also the many hours on the mobile Telephone we will charge our costumers for specialty if we have to take calls and waiting on Voice Mail System for a lot of hour and nobody pick up the call!

Same as of today: from my calls to CS-LOXINFO include your No. Khun xxxxxxxxx an 7171, nobody was pickup the call. That is meaning 24/7? Excuse me but this is boring! Cost our time and our money because I have to call from a mobile phone while in this office is not any telephone line! 1 minute 3 Baht for calls from mobile phones and your company expect that the costumers have to wait as long as your people want or forever?!

Excuse but I’m angry for three (3) days of loosing time until right now this week only, not to tell from the last nearly 4 month!

Now I do expect that I will get a solution from your site how to solve the existing problems and within which time.

Dear Khun Narumol and Khun Suwat!

Take a look on the pics I send as attachment.

You will see different things:

1. The speed varies from high speed up to over 100 Kbyte/s (for a very short time) down to 0 Kbyte/s

2. Speed goes to 0 and all downloads stops until total disconnection

3. Box reboots

Today on daytime the box was rebooting every few minutes until around 17.00 h.

After 17.00 h the cycle of rebooting extends and as I sit right now here within the last 30 minutes the box rebooted twice and it is 21.00 h night time.

To finish even a single download without to sit on the computer the whole time and restart the download many times, is not possible. To send a e-mail with attachment needed today 12 time restarting of the sent procedure and than for 800 Kbyte 1 1/2 hour!

Same was happen on Monday on the Daytime but in the evening and night not any rebooting and continuous downloading. After Khun Direk and THAICOM changed the Gateway yesterday to a new "much better" one, the system gets much worst!

Under these circumstances this system is totally to 100% unusable for us. It is now nearly 4 (four) month (25. April until today) the service from IP-Star is unusable for normal daily work.

As a customer we do expect that we get the service we need and have to pay for! If our supplier expects that we pay for a service he can not give us we do believe we have the right to cancel all payments for that time being while our supplier is unable to service us. And with cancel all payments we mean that we will not pay anything for that time we did not get the service.

As costumer we’re also not responsible for any system testing or Beta-Testing at all. But if we do so that means that we servicing our supplier to help him to get him faulty system to work.

The hours I personally spend for down- and upload test and Speed test and so on summarize already in much more than 150 hour over a period of more than 3 month, time we will charge our costumers for if we do such working for him! Also the many hours on the mobile Telephone we will charge our costumers for specialty if we have to take calls and waiting on Voice Mail System for a lot of hour and nobody pick up the call!

Same as of today: from my calls to CS-LOXINFO include your No. Khun Narumol an 7171, nobody was pickup the call. That is meaning 24/7? Excuse me but this is boring! Cost our time and our money because I have to call from a mobile phone while in this office is not any telephone line! 1 minute 3 Baht for calls from mobile phones and your company expect that the costumers have to wait as long as your people want or forever?!

Excuse but I’m angry for three (3) days of loosing time until right now this week only, not to tell from the last nearly 4 month!

Now I do expect that I will get a solution from your site how to solve the existing problems and within which time.

Thanks and best regards

Reimar Engellage

Dir. PC-INFO Service Co., Ltd.

Thats the latest New from me.

Guest Reimar

New Update on our IP-Star

Today the system works until right now fine!

Maybe the e-mail from last night has some effect??

All downloads complete and OK, none CRC errors!

The Box wasn't rebooting one time!

The download speed right now 50+ KByte/s

Will start to download a huge archieve of files to check.

I will keep posting the results.

I have had very few problems with Ipstar and have stated so in the past. Lately (as in the last week) I have had to turn the modem on/off 2-3 times before it will connect. But once the connection is made no problems at all. BTW, just from talking to a few friends that have problems with Ipstar they invariably have the cheaper package. I'm paying 4,280 baht a month and although this is high by Thai standards it beats not having an internet connection.

Interesting observation. I am on the 2,900 B per month package, that is not cheap by any standards for the shitty service I get. And I have seen it bounce up and down a lot over the past week or two. Get connected, then lose it, then back. Sometimes switch it off and back on most of the time it justs comes back itself in a few minutes.

Something definitely wrong with their services.

Guest Reimar

Interesting observation. I am on the 2,900 B per month package, that is not cheap by any standards for the shitty service I get. And I have seen it bounce up and down a lot over the past week or two. Get connected, then lose it, then back. Sometimes switch it off and back on most of the time it justs comes back itself in a few minutes.

Something definitely wrong with their services.

Not only smething: A LOT!!

But since yesterday mornig is quiet OK but with disabled Netgain and Multicast only. So yhe speed is realy down! Tha downloads are ok in the moment. Not any rebooting of the modem also.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Ipstar for 2 years. Unfortunately I live in a region where no DSL or ADSL is available. I am paying for an unlimited (!) 512/256 package 4'700 BHT/month which NEVER fulfilled the terms of agreement. Not only have they had troubles with their international gateway (did not buy enough bandwidth from TOT for the amount of customers they sold their "service" to), they are incapable of setting up their "new" satellite too, after all their technical knowledge seems to be not existent. Finally they limited my bandwidth to 5 (!) KB/sec per connection and they did not want me to use bittorent. Finally, their so called "netgain" which they claim should speed up (compress) the files u/d is rubbish. What it does is limiting the maximum number of concurrent connection to 5, besides most of the files are anyway compressed - an absolute nonsense which shows their incompetence. BTW: my last month phonebill (only connecting to their "customer" service) was over 4'500 BHT and they of course did not solve any of the problems I have.

Summary: Although IPSTAR is selling an UNLIMITED ammount of up/download they limit the bandwith of customers who are taking advantage of their offer.

I strongly recommend not using this ISP if you are trying to go further than your 56k modem speed and expect to have more than a couple of GBs transfer/month.

PS: If you also do not have any means for an internet connection than via satellite: STAR CONNECT was recommended to me today; does anybody have any experience with them?

Edited by axl

I have been using Ipstar for 2 years. Unfortunately I live in a region where no DSL or ADSL is available. I am paying for an unlimited (!) 512/256 package 4'700 BHT/month which NEVER fulfilled the terms of agreement. Not only have they had troubles with their international gateway (did not buy enough bandwidth from TOT for the amount of customers they sold their "service" to), they are incapable of setting up their "new" satellite too, after all their technical knowledge seems to be not existent. Finally they limited my bandwidth to 5 (!) KB/sec per connection and they did not want me to use bittorent. Finally, their so called "netgain" which they claim should speed up (compress) the files u/d is rubbish. What it does is limiting the maximum number of concurrent connection to 5, besides most of the files are anyway compressed - an absolute nonsense which shows their incompetence. BTW: my last month phonebill (only connecting to their "customer" service) was over 4'500 BHT and they of course did not solve any of the problems I have.

Summary: Although IPSTAR is selling an UNLIMITED ammount of up/download they limit the bandwith of customers who are taking advantage of their offer.

I strongly recommend not using this ISP if you are trying to go further than your 56k modem speed and expect to have more than a couple of GBs transfer/month.

PS: If you also do not have any means for an internet connection than via satellite: STAR CONNECT was recommended to me today; does anybody have any experience with them?

It sounds like you are using Loxinfo Ipstar. Loxinfo SUCKS! I recently changed to TOT Ipstar. The problem apparently is not with Ipstar but the provider. I don't know anything about Star Connect. I DO know that my 512/256 TOT Ipstar is 2,200 baht per month. The TOT Ipstar is fast enough but it too is not perfect by any means. I have no complaint at all about the speed BUT most of my larger downloads are corrupted.