Anti Virus For Windows 8.1

chiangrai

I've got Windows 8.1 which came with McAfee antivirus already installed.

Should I leave it there or is there a better Antivirus.

Is it best to use a free program or spend some money and buy a program.

I'm using a 10 inch laptop mostly on my personal internet conection.

O.k,I will go with Chicog's advice.

So any advice on how to go about it.

Do I activate the 3 prograns and then delete Mckafee

or is there any thig I should know before I start.

If you plan to swap to another AV vendor, the normal approach is to:

download the installer from the new software

go OFFLINE (disable/disconnect from the Internet)

uninstall the old AV vendor software

reboot

make sure you are still OFFLINE

install the new AV vendor software

reboot

go ONLINE and check for New AV vendor update

do a COMPLETE DISK(s) scan

run the other programs (if you use the free versions) and do a complete disk review,

or install the pay versions, do one complete disk review, then set them set to automatic

• Like 1

Windows Defender seems to be turned on.

Anti-explois is in the startup folder and it says runing when I open the program

but it has no settings button.

Anti-malware has lots of settings,in advanced settings it says start with windows.

It also has an option to set scedualed scans.

Basicaly,my question is....am I protected.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I use WIndows Defender and free Malwarebytes Antimalware and Antiexploit.

I use Windows Defender, Kaspersky 2015, Malwarebyte, AVG Tune up 2015 for the other tasks and I'm really more than satisfied.

Once you've got your system optimized, ( try UninStaller pro to get rid off all junk, etc.) then a full scan and create a back up with Acronis. True Image.

Should anything happen, you'll have your system back where it was in about 25 minutes, depending on how many programs you're running.

I hope you can swim in the Bay well enough not to drown immediately. wai.gif

P.S. I was never impressed with Mc Affee at all.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Most AntiVirus is a pile of sheet.

Mcaffee spot 41% of recent viruses..

https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats

Chicog has the right idea..

Kinda surprised to see Windows Defender fair so well "in comparison" to all the other anti-virus products. Guess Microsoft does put some real effort in keeping Defender and probably Microsoft Security Essentials up to date.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me old fashion and maybe i am at risk but ms defender requires you to keep windows autoupdate ON.

I guess most people don't mind that, but i find it interfering.

The free antivrus programs seem to be getting worse not better and getting larger, giving you less control on your system, hogging resources and not catching anything suspicious.

Some programs put processes in and on that you can not turn off, or if you do, cant turn back on.

After MUCH research i am still unsure what are the best programs without their own malware or adware, either free or for a cost.

But yes i use multiple apps like others here.

Edited by infinity11

Call me old fashion and maybe i am at risk but ms defender requires you to keep windows autoupdate ON.

That's because updates to the program and definitions are delivered by WU.

If you want to do it manually, change the settings.

Interestingly, I read an article today that mentions how useless AV software is, and it mentioned the iGuardian that I backed on Kickstarter a while back, among others.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/decrypt-one-box-rule/

https://nodal.net/numa/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2852252/bitdefender-security-appliance-for-home-networks-seeks-to-replace-endpoint-antivirus.html

https://itusnetworks.com/

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

When I got my new computer first thing I Uninstalled was McAfee. I just use Windows Defender and Malwarebyte. My HP computer comes with automatic tune up.

I never liked Norton or McAfree.

Got Windows 8.1 with touch screen desk top and its fantastic.

I use IE10 , Chrome & Firefox.

Given that Kaspersky is the only vendor really out there discovering the BIG exploits, and are clearly not being influenced by certain big security agencies, they should probably be at the top of your list.

Outside of that, Malwarebytes gets a very strong recommendation.

• Like 1

So I have installed Malwarebytes anti Malware ,Malwarebytes Anti Exploits and turned on windows defender.

Now I am getting little notices in the top right hand corner saying that my trial period has run out and that I am no longer protectrd.

I can't remember if it was Malware anti exploit or anti malware that sent the messages but does anybody know what I should do about them.

So I have installed Malwarebytes anti Malware ,Malwarebytes Anti Exploits and turned on windows defender.

Now I am getting little notices in the top right hand corner saying that my trial period has run out and that I am no longer protectrd.

I can't remember if it was Malware anti exploit or anti malware that sent the messages but does anybody know what I should do about them.

Click the "buy" button? :)

• Like 2

Who is 'they'?

Some of the programs you've installed probably are the type that have several 'tiers' or modes of operation.

Anywhere from...

Manual Mode (no automatic operations, nor automatic protection) -- licence: free for personal use

Automatic Mode (launched at startup, automatic protection and update) -- licence: one time fee

Full Automatic Protection (launched at startup, automatic protection, extended coverage and features, quick updates -- licence: ongoing fee

Tell us what programs are nagging you, and what they're saying to make you question your protection status?

Malwarebytes Anti Malware is saying that my free trail has expired and that I am not protected.

Malwarebytes antiExploit is saying that my free trial is over and that the program is running.

Anti Malware is the one sending the messages,Anti Exploit isn't sending me any messages.

I presume that all I have to do is to set these programs to "don't show icon or messages"

in the taskbar and the programs will run the free version which is good enough for what I'm

doing on my notebook.

I just want to be absolutly sure before I set and forget.

I don't mind having to pay 20USD or so to purchase a program

Thanks for all the help so far

To understand what you have, it's best to take a look at the vendor product feature list

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free vs Anti-Exploit PREMIUM

The 'free' version came with a 14-day trial of PREMIUM. If you can live without the PREMIUM feature on each product then you're good.

FREE products usually don't automatically check for new updates, nor do they auto-download and install, so it's best to verify what each product does and doesn't do, or how it's kept up to day. If you go with the FREE version and regularly and consistently check for and download updates, while also regularly and consistently making/managing FULL SYSTEM BACKUP of your system with the COPIES KEPT OFFLINE then you should be fine. I think that's the way most professionals would do it. The rest of the folks who don't like to read manuals of keep up with changes in security probably would be better off going the PREMIUM route, and keeping an ear out for changes.