Has anyone cycled along Rama II?

taony

Hello,

I see in my strava account when looking at routes that a lot of people ride along Rama II to Samut Songkram. Now I ride in traffic all the time, but that seems a bit too dangerous. Plus, I doubt the road is in great shape, and how enjoyable could it be with all the noise and dirt from speeding cars? Has anyone here tried this? I assume the people using the route on strava are riding in the dark, but I do most of my riding in the daytime.

I am still getting back to speed after a long lay off, but hope to try the little bit at the end of Samut Sakhorn one of these days (maybe one way on the return trip - from the river to Ekachai Road).

There are a few long distance bikers, mostly foreigners, who cycle on Rama II Road when heading to southern Thailand, but the vast majority are road biking clubs who travel in large groups from Bangkok. I live in the Maeklong area, and last weekend there were hundreds of bikers heading to Suan Phung Ratchaburi, but came off Rama II Road into Samutsongkhram, then cut across the province to take the shortest route to Ratchaburi city.

There have also been yearly organized charity rides (although I don't think that the ride has happened yet, or will happen, since there has been no media about it) from Bangkok to Huahin (180 km) with as many as 700 riders participating. Many of the riders in groups are Strava users.

I don't recommend riding it alone.

• Like 1

What an utterly dull and boring road to cycle on. Flat, dusty, noisy, traffic, is there anything to recommend for this cycle route? I suppose the only attraction is the buzz one might get by being passed by crazy road users and not getting knocked off?

Thanks. No, I don't plan on riding it. It just seems unavoidable to get through the area. And then I see that people do it. They must be riding in the middle of the night or something, although I doubt its much safer. I may do a ride out to Mae Klong one of these days. My sister in law's parents live there and we go once in a while. I think I found a route or two, minimizing the life threatening situations. Its insane how there are no other roads through the area, only Rama II. I may try it out in a week or two. One route for going, one for coming back. I try to avoid do the u-turn nonsense and going over huge overpasses. Its tough to find good routes. I have no car, so all my rides need to begin and end in BKK. Today I did 80km along Ekachai road and down Bang Khun Tien road then back up I turned right and used Pracha Uthit and Suk Sawat roads over to Prapa Daeng and the small ferry across the river.

Edited by taony

Thanks. No, I don't plan on riding it. It just seems unavoidable to get through the area. And then I see that people do it. They must be riding in the middle of the night or something, although I doubt its much safer. I may do a ride out to Mae Klong one of these days. My sister in law's parents live there and we go once in a while. I think I found a route or two, minimizing the life threatening situations. Its insane how there are no other roads through the area, only Rama II. I may try it out in a week or two. One route for going, one for coming back. I try to avoid do the u-turn nonsense and going over huge overpasses. Its tough to find good routes. I have no car, so all my rides need to begin and end in BKK. Today I did 80km along Ekachai road and down Bang Khun Tien road then back up I turned right and used Pracha Uthit and Suk Sawat roads over to Prapa Daeng and the small ferry across the river.

You'll get used to finding routes where you can minimise crossing other traffic

If you can stay on the left, you're biggest worry will be people riding the wrong way

SC

If you are willing to take a very indirect route, you can ride down Thanon Bangkhuntian Chatale and continue to Mahachai via Thanon Kimjanee. The road through wetland area is safer, a little more scenic and even has bike lanes.

You would still need to find a route between Tha Chin and Mae Klong but if it's probably a good option since you are already riding to the Ekechai-Bangkhuntian intersection.

Edit: It's possible that I'm misreading your posts and you already doing this?

Edited by erobando
  • Like 1

I was out that way once before. Most times i turn around at the end of thanon bangkhuntian (once went east but there is a long stretch if dirt road so not recommended for road bikes). One time i went further west but not all the way to Kimjanee . I turned right at the road right before, route 2004 and did a loop on that back to route 4008 and bangkhuntian.

For next weekend i was contemplating going that way and then on to the uturn under rama ii at the river to the north side for a short distance to setakit road and over to ekachai. That would let me investigate part of the route to mae khlong, which i think i can do entirely north of rama ii.

Another option would be to gi halfway to mae khlong to see how it is. Or take it easy and ride out to the green line and do a few loops. I like to travel when i ride though, so that's third choice!

I was out that way once before. Most times i turn around at the end of thanon bangkhuntian (once went east but there is a long stretch if dirt road so not recommended for road bikes). One time i went further west but not all the way to Kimjanee . I turned right at the road right before, route 2004 and did a loop on that back to route 4008 and bangkhuntian.

For next weekend i was contemplating going that way and then on to the uturn under rama ii at the river to the north side for a short distance to setakit road and over to ekachai. That would let me investigate part of the route to mae khlong, which i think i can do entirely north of rama ii.

Another option would be to gi halfway to mae khlong to see how it is. Or take it easy and ride out to the green line and do a few loops. I like to travel when i ride though, so that's third choice!

I love exploring on my bike. On Saturday I was looking for an alternate, less-traffic route back from the local airport - I'd misread the map, and the route never existed. But I found a very peaceful lake, a live-firing range and cycled along the power transmission line reserve for a few kilometres till I eventually found my way back on to the tarmac via an organic farm. Suburban cycling at it's best...

SC

Sounds nice. My problem is just getting to and from the suburbs takes up most of my energy. I just plotted a course, about 105km from Lumpini round trip. It takes into account the "to" Mae Khlong route i was thinking about then going south and using the "from" route that i would use if i couldnt get a ride back. So by going almost halfway, i can check out the more difficult parts. This round trip is about 10km longer than the one way i had plotted. I will try to post a screen shot of it tomorrow.