Malaysia border - Start 2nd 60 day tourist visa overland

I have a pre-booked a return flight Bangkok/Hat Tai (time and date is set for return) on the premise I could go to Malaysia border Sadao and turn straight around come back to Thailand - same day for my return flight.

1. I am reading that Sadao requires one night stay in Malaysia - is this correct?

2. If so - is this the same situation at Padang Basar or are they doing things differently?

3. If there is no change at Parang Basar - What about if taking a ferry at Saturn to Langkawi - stepping off the ferry at Langkawi and turning straight around back to Saturn?

I have got a non imm 'O'. last visa run i took the "Easy Way" mini bus from Samui to Sadao and back same day. No problems for me.

Really? - OldSailor35 - I saw a response post from UbonJoe (master of the universe for all things visa related) saying Sadao were refusing exit on Thai side unless prepared to stay one night in Malaysia - Malaysian side imposed requirement.

Plot thickens - good to hear there might be a way to do what you managed to do and get out/in same day.....Anyone else had same (or different) experience as OldSailor35?

Really? - OldSailor35 - I saw a response post from UbonJoe (master of the universe for all things visa related) saying Sadao were refusing exit on Thai side unless prepared to stay one night in Malaysia - Malaysian side imposed requirement.

Malaysia doesn't impose anything. Thais may want Bt 200 or so, but only sometime. Avoid Sadao / Dannok if possible at all.

There was a recent report of a person wanting to do OA visa entry that was given the run around at Sadao when he tried to re-enter the country because they were saying he had to stay outside the country for the night. He manged to enter the country but only by going to 3 different officers before they let him in.

There have been several reports of this happening.

The best thing to do would be to use a different crossing.

• Like 1

There was a recent report of a person wanting to do OA visa entry that was given the run around at Sadao when he tried to re-enter the country because they were saying he had to stay outside the country for the night. He manged to enter the country but only by going to 3 different officers before they let him in.

There have been several reports of this happening.

The best thing to do would be to use a different crossing.

Thanks UbonJoe

Were these reports only happening in Sadao?

Or

Did you also hear that it was happening at... - Padang Basar? - Langkawi?

Malaysia doesn't impose anything. Thais may want Bt 200 or so, but only sometime. Avoid Sadao / Dannok if possible at all.

Thanks - I am however also trying to read between the lines - What is the problem with Sadao?

And would this same problem be widespread - Hence Pedang Basar would be the same?

Hi Paz, why is that?

I might be heading to Dannok soon to meet a friend and thought also that such 'border' towns are usually ea$y to get things done?

Please enlighten!

• Like 1

I might be heading to Dannok soon to meet a friend and thought also that such 'border' towns are usually ea$y to get things done?

Sadao / Dannok has a poor reputation of being corrupt and abusive. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens. You can search the forum to read the many reports.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

Sadao / Dannok has a poor reputation of being corrupt abusive. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens. You can search the forum to read the many reports.

OK - That makes sense - Its a reputation thing i.e There is not a constant clear thing that will happen always - It happens sometimes.....So going this route will not !00% result in having to stay over - Its a percentage chance it might happen - Yes - Am I getting this right?

Hence its not really useful knowing what's the problem - Rather its more useful knowing the percentage that this happens - 1% = Fair risk worth taking - 95% = Probably not a risk worth taking.

I do not expect anyone to know the answer to this percentage. I am just talking out loud - wondering how to reach the best decision - So as to maximize my probability of in/out success.

Does anyone have a - lets throw bricks at the moon - type of feeling for this?

OK - That makes sense - Its a reputation thing i.e There is not a constant clear thing that will happen always - It happens sometimes.....So going this route will not !00% result in having to stay over - Its a percentage chance it might happen - Yes - Am I getting this right?

Hence its not really useful knowing what's the problem - Rather its more useful knowing the percentage that this happens - 1% = Fair risk worth taking - 95% = Probably not a risk worth taking.

I do not expect anyone to know the answer to this percentage. I am just talking out loud - wondering how to reach the best decision - So as to maximize my probability of in/out success.

Is not like they people is left outside forever. They are just hassled to an extent. All what you may have to do is keep Bt 200 in passport. Up to you if you are OK with this approach or not.

• Like 1

Is not like they people is left outside forever. They are just hassled to an extent. All what you may have to do is keep Bt 200 in passport. Up to you if you are OK with this approach or not.

OK - Thanks for that - So is it just happening at Sadao - Is this correct?

Hence going to Padang Basar - There is not the same problem ?

Maybe some bad reports. None from crossing by train or other places. At the end of the day is not like you're trying to enter Fort Knox, if you have a valid visa or even if visa exempt you will be allowed.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Good Info Guys.

So its going to be: Airport to the bus station - Bus to Padang Basar - Walk few hundred meters between the crossing points - Call into the duty free for half price whisky - Exit Thai immigration point - Get bus directly over the road (I had to wait forever for one three years ago) back to Hat Yai bus station - Songthew from bus station to Airport,

- I would take the train to PB, but they are few of them and they are always running late.

Thanks again for the input!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe some bad reports. None from crossing by train or other places. At the end of the day is not like you're trying to enter Fort Knox, if you have a valid visa or even if visa exempt you will be allowed.

I think you will have better luck at Padang Baser/ I don't recall any bad reports for there.

I've used Pedang Basar many , many times since 2009 and never had a problem,

Thanks Guys - You gave me some good info - And I appreciate you doing this.

• Like 1