Report - Border in/out stamp tourist visa via Padang Besar

(But first for me I called into duty free and got a 1 litre bottle of Jim Bean whisky 480 Baht – But do not do this if you are flying back - like I was – It gets confiscated at the airport – I should have known this, but I just didn't think – All my head was saying was “Wow what a great price”).

No reason to have goods confiscated. Just turn back for a minute and pour in the toilet.

you dont need to go to the bus station on the forward leg. the padang bus stops at the clock tower.

if you catch the padang bus from the bus station it then goes to clocktower before going to padang. hence you have wasted at least an hour.

there are/were also minibus going from clocktower vicinity to sadao if not also padang. catch the padang bus and minibus on the same side of the road that the airport songthaew drops you off at clocktower

Edited by rabid old goat
  • Like 2

you dont need to go to the bus station on the forward leg. the padang bus stops at the clock tower.

if you catch the padang bus from the bus station it then goes to clocktower before going to padang. hence you have wasted at least an hour.

there are/were also minibus going from clocktower vicinity to sadao if not also padang. catch the padang bus and minibus on the same side of the road that the airport songthaew drops you off at clocktower

Good feedback - Extra excellent value information - Worth knowing - Good Stuff!

Pedang Besar is a good border. Me and my colleagues in Songkhla use this border to activate our multiple-entry 1-year non-immigrant B visas. Other borders worth visiting are Ban Wang Prachan in Satun and the border in Nathawee, Songkhla.

I went to Pedang Besar, Sunday gone, to get a stamp in my new passport; my visa was in my recently expired passport. It took a bit of head-scratching on their part but they were very friendly and going through to Malaysia/entering back into Thailand was a doddle.

However, don't make the mistake of going to Danok (Sadao). They are the most rotten, corrupt, criminal bureaucrats I've come across in Thailand.

I had all the necessary paperwork to legally enter Thailand (visa aforementioned plus work permit) so their mafia office staff took to insulting me and trying to shake me down for my money. I vow never to go there gain.

• Like 1

Good report ..

It's usual to have the local workers slide their papers in front of you, and they do love to count the stamps.

You had some good advice or luck, there are queues in both directions at Sadao.

The fastest way to the border would probably be the mini van, this starts at a soi not far from the clock tower.

Stand on the plaza, keep the clock behind you and keep on walking. Take the second soi on your right ( you will see a big eagle above a sports shop ). Walk down 20 meters and look to the right.

The can leaves from here and heads to the bus station to pick up more passengers. If you start from the minivan station you get the pick of the seats and not shoe horned into the middle seat at the back.

You were also lucky, the last van leaves at 6.00-ish. I got stuck once and ended up in dannock once.

Good solid actionable data here - Great contribution!

Pedang Besar is a good border. Me and my colleagues in Songkhla use this border to activate our multiple-entry 1-year non-immigrant B visas. Other borders worth visiting are Ban Wang Prachan in Satun and the border in Nathawee, Songkhla.

I went to Pedang Besar, Sunday gone, to get a stamp in my new passport; my visa was in my recently expired passport. It took a bit of head-scratching on their part but they were very friendly and going through to Malaysia/entering back into Thailand was a doddle.

However, don't make the mistake of going to Danok (Sadao). They are the most rotten, corrupt, criminal bureaucrats I've come across in Thailand.

I had all the necessary paperwork to legally enter Thailand (visa aforementioned plus work permit) so their mafia office staff took to insulting me and trying to shake me down for my money. I vow never to go there gain.

Good extra data - Ban Wang Prachan Satun and Nathawee, Songkhla as options - Great food for thought.

Just also to add ( and commend you )

Despite using this crossing for 15 years, flying into Hat Yai and now as a resident. I never knew there was a Songthaew service from the airport. So you did very well to find the blue truck.

I will add, that the clocktower is known as 'plazaa' or 'talad plaza' rather than the clocktower.

I'm guessing from your report, that the songthaew calls into the clocktower and then heads off to the bus station. After a ride from the airport, you would be itching to get off here, rather than continue all the way to the bus station. Then you can walk to the van station as I mentioned - it might save you an hour.

If you want a more luxurious ride, we now have a blue/yellow taxi service in Hat Yai although It doesnt stop you being assaulted by the touts on the way out of arrivals. There isn't a regular pickup point, but you could wait for one to arrive. Although they have meters, they won't use them and ask for around 300B to a downtown hotel.

In the past, before the company existed, you would be looking to pay somewhere between 500-1000B.

Taxis can be booked in advance, I will post the number in time, and should be booked a couple of days in advance.

Another method of transport when you arrive at the border - there is a moto taxi service that will run the loop and return you to the bus station. 15 years back it was 40B, now it's somewhere around 100B which i think is a little too much, but they will wait at the duty free shop, and also accompany you, show there ID card so you can get double the duty free allowance.

I would also post a warning, if you are on a multi-entry ( as always ) check your stamp, The staff are very slack - I have had times when they ignored my 12 month multi visa and stamped 30 days.

Wow - thank You for keep on giving - Love the extra dimensions and clarity - Its these extra bits that makes the difference between wondering and knowing a plan is workable - The issue for me was the process of entering the town and understanding a way to define my navigation options - But by giving this extra info centered around the specific area of the clock tower (with the extra clarification of naming convention) this allows me understand more than I did before - I saw many reference to 'Plazza' in blog posts, but I had no idea what the reference was about and since Google maps will not provide meaningful logistics for such a generic term - Hence only now can I put the connection together - Great work!