A Little Help Regarding Building A House In Thailand....

Farside

Hi Everybody,

I have been told that a farang cannot buy land in thailand, Is this true? I wanted to buy a little piece of land near where my thai fiancees parents live in north east thailand then build a house there for me and her. I was planning on working in the uk while the house was built, So my mrs and her family would overlook the building work to make sure it is done correctly. But now i have also been told i can only own a house for 30 years (by leasing it). Is this true? :o

Any help would be appreciated,

Hi Everybody,

I have been told that a farang cannot buy land in thailand, Is this true? I wanted to buy a little piece of land near where my thai fiancees parents live in north east thailand then build a house there for me and her. I was planning on working in the uk while the house was built, So my mrs and her family would overlook the building work to make sure it is done correctly. But now i have also been told i can only own a house for 30 years (by leasing it). Is this true? :D

You can certainly "buy" (or pay for) the land...but you can't "own" it... :D

If you do a search of the forum...there are literally 1000's of posts on this subject... :o

Basically, you can own the house, but not the land...

Edited by RAZZELL

So i get the land in her name then but are you SURE i can actually own the house? Someone has told me all i can do is lease it for 99 years at most. Even though i paid to have it built. And what happens to the house if we did actually break up? I know the land will be in her name but IF i own the house where does that leave me legally? Can she knock it down as its on her land? :D:o

Edited by Farside

This thread would be better in the house ownership forum, mods please :D

Mean while, wife owns the land, you lease the land (30 years max) and build a house (which you can own). The lease can have a 30 year extension built in but the legal situation is wooly, particularly if the land owner does not want to extend (like if you're divorced).

Rule number 2, "Never invest more in Thailand than you can affort to walk away from" (Rule 1 is "Never overstay your visa").

EDIT. BTW I forgot to say :D to the madhouse we call :o:D:)

Edited by Crossy

Rule number 2, "Never invest more in Thailand than you can affort to walk away from" (Rule 1 is "Never overstay your visa").

Hi Farside

Above is VERY good advice.

TBWG :D

Yeah but i am only thinking of building a house in thailand for us because i can't afford to get a mortgage here in the uk. So if i did build a house in thailand then that would be all that i had, Everything in the world. :o:D

What does TBWG mean? :D hahaha

Yeah but i am only thinking of building a house in thailand for us because i can't afford to get a mortgage here in the uk. So if i did build a house in thailand then that would be all that i had, Everything in the world. :o:D

OK, a few things to think about :-

How are you going to support yourself once your house is built and you are living in it, getting reasonably paid employment is NOT easy here.

How are you going to finance the land purchase and house build?

One other thought, avoid living too near the in-laws ot they will be round drinking your beer and eating your food every night (or worse, moved in). IMHO 25km is a good distance, close enough to visit easily, far enough to avoid the above.

Hi Farside

Above is VERY good advice.

TBWG :D

What does TBWG mean? :D hahaha

Welcome Farside. As Razzell said, this subject is probably one of the most discussed areas on the forum. The search feature sometimes works and you may find a lot of the more recent threads on land ownership by searching.

Land ownership has been much in the news recently, particularly in relation to a method of purchase that was widely used, utilising a controlling Thai company to purchase the land. This method is currently up in the air at the moment as the Thai authorities have indicated a clamp down on this method and everyone is now waiting to see what the results will be.

If that is your pic in the avatar, you look reasonably young, so a 30 year lease may not even see you into retirement. I would strongly urge you to investigate all the options before committing all your resources to land purchase. There are some really helpful people on this forum and some real experts in the subject you have raised. Use them wisely. If you do get some posters on your thread that seem a little...erm...off, just ignore them. There are some real cynics amongst us but they are all part of the rich tapestry that makes TV.

OK, a few things to think about :-

How are you going to support yourself once your house is built and you are living in it, getting reasonably paid employment is NOT easy here.

How are you going to finance the land purchase and house build?

One other thought, avoid living too near the in-laws ot they will be round drinking your beer and eating your food every night (or worse, moved in). IMHO 25km is a good distance, close enough to visit easily, far enough to avoid the above.

The house is mainly for my retirement in the future (Long time yet though haha), Also when i visit thailand it will be where i can stay. I will finance the building from my monthly wages i earn here in the uk. The land will be bought upfront from what i am saving right now. The house building will have to be paid weekely or monthly, I cannot afford to pay it all at once.

Welcome Farside. As Razzell said, this subject is probably one of the most discussed areas on the forum. The search feature sometimes works and you may find a lot of the more recent threads on land ownership by searching.

Land ownership has been much in the news recently, particularly in relation to a method of purchase that was widely used, utilising a controlling Thai company to purchase the land. This method is currently up in the air at the moment as the Thai authorities have indicated a clamp down on this method and everyone is now waiting to see what the results will be.

If that is your pic in the avatar, you look reasonably young, so a 30 year lease may not even see you into retirement. I would strongly urge you to investigate all the options before committing all your resources to land purchase. There are some really helpful people on this forum and some real experts in the subject you have raised. Use them wisely. If you do get some posters on your thread that seem a little...erm...off, just ignore them. There are some real cynics amongst us but they are all part of the rich tapestry that makes TV.

Yeah i am only 27 now. So it won't see me into my retirement :D

I fully trust my fiancee so having the land in her name is ok by me. :o

Yeah i am only 27 now. So it won't see me into my retirement :D

I fully trust my fiancee so having the land in her name is ok by me. :D

excuse me farside but whats the rush??

and why build in the middle of nowhere??

have you actually lived up that way for sometime??

your 27 now. why not build when your 40 and have more money saved??

sounds like your being persuaded by ouside forces.

cheers.

PS. the GFs parents will be living happily in your new home before the first roof tile is laid. :o:D:D

1) I have been told that a farang cannot buy land in thailand, Is this true?

2) I wanted to buy a little piece of land near where my thai fiancees parents live in north east thailand then build a house there for me and her.

3) I was planning on working in the uk while the house was built,

4) So my mrs and her family would overlook the building work to make sure it is done correctly.

5) But now i have also been told i can only own a house for 30 years (by leasing it). Is this true? :o

1) You can not own it, EVER! You can lease it for MAXIMUM 30 YEARS! No enforcable extensions possible! That would make you 57 when you end up with nothing.

2) I see a few problems in this question. NEAR the parents, and for ME and HER. First anywhere near the parent leaves you with no way out when things go wrong. The one that will be leaving would be you. And if it will be your live saving that leaves you with.... nothing. Not a good strategy. Read about how many men loose everything to the wife (not only in Thailand!). Protect yourself, learn from others mistakes.

3) Not a good idea. because:

4) Only acceptable when your mrs. and family have a degree in architecture and building codes.

5) The one you have been talking to should be ignored from now on when they talk about the law in Thailand. Obviously this is barstool knowledge.

Try to read as much as possible from official thai government sites. Difficult reading but everything you need to know is there. Trust only what you read yourself and forget about what a lawyer or developer says.

Buy in Thailand when you stay here at least 1 year. The place is a lot different than you imagine.

What you are asking here says to me you still don't know enough to make such a big decision. And there is no rush! Thailand will be here for many thousands of years! If someone is rushing it, you know what to do. If it starts with your money, your work, you should at a few more yours like, your timescale, your house, your future, your decision. After that sharing is much more fair and comfortable.

And there is still no PINNED topic about house and land ownership. That is why there are so many topics talking about the same thing again, again and again. So instead of reading it in one place it is scattered in hundreds of topics. I suggest you also go look in the Samui section as land and house ownership is talked about a lot too. And the search option on the top-right can be helpfull in finding those topics.

Most people trust thier fiancee.....but most people do not hand over their entire retirement plan over to their fiancee.....the fact that your fiancee is from a culture that is very very different from yours makes doing this even riskier. Have you ever heard of someone getting married, working hard, saving a nest egg for retirement, and then loosing it all in a divorce? How do you think this happens? What steps could have been taken to avoid it?

Very, very good advice!

Most people trust thier fiancee.....but most people do not hand over their entire retirement plan over to their fiancee.....the fact that your fiancee is from a culture that is very very different from yours makes doing this even riskier. Have you ever heard of someone getting married, working hard, saving a nest egg for retirement, and then loosing it all in a divorce? How do you think this happens? What steps could have been taken to avoid it?

What about a pre nuptial agreement? Although before that is done i will need to speak to a lawyer in thailand about it and where the thai law stands about this.

1) I have been told that a farang cannot buy land in thailand, Is this true?

2) I wanted to buy a little piece of land near where my thai fiancees parents live in north east thailand then build a house there for me and her.

3) I was planning on working in the uk while the house was built,

4) So my mrs and her family would overlook the building work to make sure it is done correctly.

5) But now i have also been told i can only own a house for 30 years (by leasing it). Is this true? :o

1) You can not own it, EVER! You can lease it for MAXIMUM 30 YEARS! No enforcable extensions possible! That would make you 57 when you end up with nothing.

2) I see a few problems in this question. NEAR the parents, and for ME and HER. First anywhere near the parent leaves you with no way out when things go wrong. The one that will be leaving would be you. And if it will be your live saving that leaves you with.... nothing. Not a good strategy. Read about how many men loose everything to the wife (not only in Thailand!). Protect yourself, learn from others mistakes.

3) Not a good idea. because:

4) Only acceptable when your mrs. and family have a degree in architecture and building codes.

5) The one you have been talking to should be ignored from now on when they talk about the law in Thailand. Obviously this is barstool knowledge.

Try to read as much as possible from official thai government sites. Difficult reading but everything you need to know is there. Trust only what you read yourself and forget about what a lawyer or developer says.

Buy in Thailand when you stay here at least 1 year. The place is a lot different than you imagine. What you are asking here says to me you still don't know enough to make such a big decision. And there is no rush! Thailand will be here for many thousands of years! If someone is rushing it, you know what to do. If it starts with your money, your work, you should at a few more yours like, your timescale, your house, your future, your decision. After that sharing is much more fair and comfortable.

And there is still no PINNED topic about house and land ownership. That is why there are so many topics talking about the same thing again, again and again. So instead of reading it in one place it is scattered in hundreds of topics. I suggest you also go look in the Samui section as land and house ownership is talked about a lot too. And the search option on the top-right can be helpfull in finding those topics.

I lived with her in thailand for 1 year. We have been engaged for 2 years. We will be getting married when she finishes her university course.

How long is a piece of string?

If you love her ,marry her,you can get a 1 year non immigrant O visa.

I,ve gone through this married -not married thing and belive me ,its easier if you are married,depends if you want to get hitched or not.

Forget prenuptial stuff in Thailand,as well as the common law wife.........it does,nt exsist.

I dont know where to buy a work permit :o

You will need to do something though,but dont worry.....the worlds your oyster!!!!!

Chok Dee Khap

So what does one do to be able to move out and live out in thailand? How much does a work permit cost? :o

Once you are married, getting a visa will not be a problem. Certain trades are not allowed for foreigners in Thailand. Again, you will find threads on here that will tell you all about this. One aspect you will have to consider is that wages for foreigners are very low by western standards, unless you manage to get transferred out by a current employer. Living costs are also very much lower, but I guess it would be harder for you to save whilst living and working in Thailand. You may be better spending a few years getting the cash together in the UK first.

Regarding the decision on buying/leasing etc, only you can decide in relation to your own relationship, what risks you want to take. It may be worth holding on for a while and waiting for the current wave of controversy to pan out and then make a more informed decision. A lot of people are waiting at the moment to see how things develop in respect of land lease/purchase.

So what does one do to be able to move out and live out in thailand? How much does a work permit cost? :o

Once you are married, getting a visa will not be a problem. Certain trades are not allowed for foreigners in Thailand. Again, you will find threads on here that will tell you all about this. One aspect you will have to consider is that wages for foreigners are very low by western standards, unless you manage to get transferred out by a current employer. Living costs are also very much lower, but I guess it would be harder for you to save whilst living and working in Thailand. You may be better spending a few years getting the cash together in the UK first.

Regarding the decision on buying/leasing etc, only you can decide in relation to your own relationship, what risks you want to take. It may be worth holding on for a while and waiting for the current wave of controversy to pan out and then make a more informed decision. A lot of people are waiting at the moment to see how things develop in respect of land lease/purchase.

Or buy a condo, somewhere like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, where you might also get some sort of work or start a business together... :D

Good luck in whatever you decide to do... :D

And what happens to the house if we did actually break up? I know the land will be in her name but IF i own the house where does that leave me legally? Can she knock it down as its on her land? :D:o

1. You are 27 and you aren't ready to retire to Thailand to live

3. You have not known your Thai GF for very many years.

4. You have very limited funds and almost all your assets will be tied up in the house.

How about

1. Rent a place for you and your girlfriend to live. If you end up hating each other in a year or two...nothing lost.

2. Save up more money. Sounds like you are going to be funding the construction as you go along so I am assuming you don't have a lot of money in the Bank. Work hard, save up all you can and when you have enough to pay cash for everything plus have a lot left over for your monthly living expenses..then you can think about building.

Hi Farside, :welcomeani:to :o it is a forum of a multitude of various information and great uses it is also a minefield of conflicting advice, read and search is the best guide I can give you and then paddle your own canoe, you can only blame or congratulate yourself then.

But it is right at this time you can't own land and their is conflicting advice on the deal of buying a house, whether it is 30 year lease or 30 year + or ++, doing it through a company with predominant Thai share-holders.

Don't know enough about this, but published material at this time is saying this is illegal ( Company Option ) and apparently always has been and their are investigations going on now about the legitamacy of these companies.

Get proper advice and read this forum and then ask further advice when you have done the reading.

You will hear a lot regarding the comment ' Don't invest in Thailand what you can't afford to lose', and it is probably good advice, although some members get annoyed at the profligacy of the statement.

We have just bought land? in the wifes name with the intention to build a house, if it goes belly up, well so be it, you really have to make your own choice.

Good Luck, hope all goes well and I am sure there is something wrong with the above statements and I will very shortly be put right.

Thats the beauty of the forum, have a thick skin and learn.

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Or buy a condo, somewhere like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, where you might also get some sort of work or start a business together... :D

Good luck in whatever you decide to do... :D

How much are condos in Pattaya? They are quite expensive arn't they? If i do buy one (and it will probably take me 10 years to save up lol) then will it be mine forever or is there a hidden catch in there somewhere?

And what happens to the house if we did actually break up? I know the land will be in her name but IF i own the house where does that leave me legally? Can she knock it down as its on her land? :D:o

1. You are 27 and you aren't ready to retire to Thailand to live

3. You have not known your Thai GF for very many years.

4. You have very limited funds and almost all your assets will be tied up in the house.

How about

1. Rent a place for you and your girlfriend to live. If you end up hating each other in a year or two...nothing lost.

2. Save up more money. Sounds like you are going to be funding the construction as you go along so I am assuming you don't have a lot of money in the Bank. Work hard, save up all you can and when you have enough to pay cash for everything plus have a lot left over for your monthly living expenses..then you can think about building.

1. I am 27 and i AM ready to move to thailand to live (Not retire though),

2. Correct but i have known her for a few years,

3 Correct i have not much money and ALL my assets will be tied up in the house,

1. I rented a place at Jomtien beach road soi 7 for 1 year for us to live there,

2. Yeah saving is all i have been doing for 2 years now, Its hard though as i send my girlfriend most of what i have left after i have paid my bills. I have worked everyday (sometimes double shifts) without having a sick day for the past 2 years lol. haha.

Another thing i am having a problem with is getting a visa for her to come visit me, The advisor i have been talking to at www.medivisas.com

says that the reason i will have a problem getting a visa for her is because she can't proove she will leave the uk after her visa runs out. So how can i prove it? I don't know. The advisor said if she was at uni then that would be a good enough excuse ... She is at uni but she dosn't have long left at uni now so we can't use that because she will have finished her course by the time she would come here to visit me. Has anyone got some good info about getting a holiday visa / fiancee visa for my fiancee?

One other thought, avoid living too near the in-laws ot they will be round drinking your beer and eating your food every night (or worse, moved in). IMHO 25km is a good distance, close enough to visit easily, far enough to avoid the above

Make that 50Km to be safe, or you'll be sorrry!

Rent for at least 2 years, you have nothing to lose, then make the big decision. :o

Good luck.

Edited by udon