London's population hits 8.6m record high

webfact

I'm a country boy too. I love living in cities, though.

Another thing I find weird is how often London haters are seemingly compelled to tell you they dislike the place whenever it's mentioned online.

I heard that there is a referendum on the next ballot because the natives of England want to move it to rural Texas where it's warm and not crowded. The problem is that England is so tiny, if it was actually placed in Texas, no one would ever be able to find it again.

Found London Texas - it does indeed appear to be quite tiny in the midst of that huge state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Texas

I know - one in every crowd, right ?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with multicultural and I am all for it.

However how do you house a fast expanding population without housing to match?

The answer is exploiting those who are in the country illegally. Converting outhouses and lock up garages to dormitories for illegals who are then forced to work in places like takeaways and restaurants for under the minimum wage.

Red Ken Livingstone stuffed parts of London with unemployed immigrants who live in social housing that should be

occupied by teachers,nurses,firemen etc.

There are plenty of towns and cities where these people could live so freeing up some vital accomodation.

• Like 1

I'm a country boy too. I love living in cities, though.

Another thing I find weird is how often London haters are seemingly compelled to tell you they dislike the place whenever it's mentioned online.

I feel very compelled.

Does anyone really believe that the population of London is only 8.6 Million ?

The headline should have said 8.6 Million registered inhabitants.

And heaven knows how many illegal immigrants are the great unknowns!

They always head for the same places.

If you take a stroll through Tower Hamlets it's easy think you are in Bangladesh.

You are somewhat out of date now chum. Walk through Spitalfields, Brick Lane etc and you will see the most amazing gentrification and trendification taking place. Becoming one of the fashionable parts of London. Spitalfields on Saturday now swarming with tourists and Brick Lane on Sunday a Foodies' heaven. From Aldgate can walk through to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. No wonder property prices have rocketed in the area. Oh, and just down the road, Old Street. Formerly a dump, now referred to as Silicon Roundabout. Google and others have moved in.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

I loved living in London. Awesome city. Mostly maligned by people who've barely visited the place for some odd reason.

Of course its an awesome City.

If you come from places where houses made of mud, tin and grass are the norm.

Oh come on. The westcountry might be a bit backward, but it's not that bad.

Edited by SoiBiker

I loved living in London. Awesome city. Mostly maligned by people who've barely visited the place for some odd reason.

West is best. Devon knows how they make it so creamy.

• Like 2

London... It is easily already the greatest city in the world -

-snip-

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Agreed.

Its a dump for the most part.

That's why the majority of real Londoners have moved out.

Most Londoners cashed in on the property boom and bought a house cash elsewhere in the UK.

Some even used the money to retire to Thailand. I even know a guy who is renting his house for an amazing £900 per week that is using that money to fund his retirement. Untold amount of Londoners poured out into the Costas, and beyond too using the wealth that the city brought them through the property boom to live their lives in the sun. Get your facts straight, old boy - your ignorant racism is making you look stupid.

Edited by phrodan
  • Like 2

One thing is for sure the places needs a lot more tower blocks to house the population.

Some 1970s tower blocks are an eyesore all over the UK. It is not a problem peculiar to London. However the Victorian built Peabody Estates are still doing an excellent job and are aesthetically still pleasing. You might be interested in one of the National Trust tours of the 'brutalist' architecture towers particularly by Ernesto Goldfinger, not that many of you London haters could afford to buy any now that they are being sold off. And then there is The Barbican, a complex of 'brutalist' towers where a 2-bedroom apartment will now set you back over 800k pounds. So welcome to London.

• Like 1

You are somewhat out of date now chum. Walk through Spitalfields, Brick Lane etc and you will see the most amazing gentrification and trendification taking place. Becoming one of the fashionable parts of London. Spitalfields on Saturday now swarming with tourists and Brick Lane on Sunday a Foodies' heaven. From Aldgate can walk through to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. No wonder property prices have rocketed in the area. Oh, and just down the road, Old Street. Formerly a dump, now referred to as Silicon Roundabout. Google and others have moved in.

Which only goes to reinforce what everyone is saying.........chum.

To live in London you have to be either rich gentry or from another country altogether.

I guess that's what the out-of-towners from the provinces are thinking on their day trips to see 'Les Miserables'.

West is best. Devon knows how they make it so creamy.

You forgot the clotted bit. Or is that Cornwall?

Does anyone really believe that the population of London is only 8.6 Million ?

The headline should have said 8.6 Million registered inhabitants.

And heaven knows how many illegal immigrants are the great unknowns!

They always head for the same places.

If you take a stroll through Tower Hamlets it's easy think you are in Bangladesh.

Thanks for that -

The problem with too many people is that they are commenting on issues again that they have no personal experience of. They have never been to London in their lives, or if they had it was so long ago as to be irrelevant. It's a jaw-dropping place, home to more billionaires than anywhere else.

One in thirty-five people in London are millionaires - that is incredible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11015073/London-has-bigger-collection-of-millionaires-than-any-other-city-in-the-world.html

I think a fair few folk are jealous they never got on to the London property market years ago.

I heard that there is a referendum on the next ballot because the natives of England want to move it to rural Texas where it's warm and not crowded. The problem is that England is so tiny, if it was actually placed in Texas, no one would ever be able to find it again.

Found London Texas - it does indeed appear to be quite tiny in the midst of that huge state.

Yes, it's in the right spot - the middle of nowhere. It has about the same population as the natives in London - 180 people.

Which only goes to reinforce what everyone is saying.........chum.

To live in London you have to be either rich gentry or from another country altogether.

I guess that's what the out-of-towners from the provinces are thinking on their day trips to see 'Les Miserables'.

Which is garbage - with the best estimate of immigrants London being 3 million strong - take away the 400,000 millionaires, that tells you that - let me work it out for you -

8,600,000 - 3,400,000 = 5,200,000

So that means that there are 5,200,000 non-immigrant, non-wealthy Londoners living in the city - which is the same population as Scotland by the looks of it. Makes your comment look daft, eh?

• Like 1

Yes, it's in the right spot - the middle of nowhere. It has about the same population as the natives in London - 180 people.

You are more sophisticated and from Paris, Texas, right?

5,600,000 including the millionaires. Have you ever been to London?

Of course the largest influx has historically been from Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the provinces, mostly from the smart youngsters who cannot wait to escape from their dull towns and villages where those who remain just sit around whinging all day and live in a diet of pork scratchings and fried Mars bars.

I think he meant to say 180 real Englishmen. Even Jason Statham has gone hollywood not bollywood.

"Even Jason Statham has gone hollywood not bollywood."

Jason Statham is from Derbyshire, born in Shirebrook, he is not a 'cockney'.

Didn't take long for the big money talk. Where are we, page 2?

London and the South East is obsessed with the stuff. Proper boring. Having worked there most of my life I don't miss it.

Which tells me that you missed out on the big money - try not to be bitter about it.

Ask many Londoners what was the greatest thing that ever happened to them in their lives - and it was - being born in the city. Now, we're not talking about millionaires, or billionaires here. We are talking about ordinary working men and women - who took a risk, got on the property market - and through the steady growth with the occasional boom - saw themselves creating nest eggs that would have had them partying like mad if they had won them on the lottery.

These are the people down on the Costas - having sold their house for two-or three hundred thousand cash in most cases - more if they were lucky - they are sitting pretty. An hours flight away from home, a lottery style bonus in the bank - they are going into their sunset years delighted that they were born in that incredible city.

That's the story of the ordinary working guy - the one's that chose to have a go and get on the property ladder thirty/forty years ago. These are the same guys that went into work and said they had bought their first house and got hit with variations of this crap -

"It's a millstone around your neck - who do you think you are, getting above yourself? - spam valley."

The same guys that made those comments aren't so smart now.

People forget the amount of working class people that were lifted in the financial comfort zone through taking the risk, and working hard to pay for their house in London. London is the ultimate working class man's success story -

• Like 2

Of course I've been to London. Took all of about 15 minutes to see the interesting parts.

• Like 1

Of course the largest influx has historically been from Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the provinces, mostly from the smart youngsters who cannot wait to escape from their dull towns and villages where those who remain just sit around whinging all day and live in a diet of pork scratchings and fried Mars bars.

The biggest influx has always been from the English provinces.

Of course I've been to London. Took all of about 15 minutes to see the interesting parts.

Idiotic comment. I lived there 15 years and I was still finding new and interesting places.

Two thousand years plus of recorded human history. I would suggest that you couldn't visit all the interesting places in London in a year.

44% are minorities. Doesn't sound like they will be the minority for long.

So long Europe. It's been real nice knowing you.

London has been an immigrant sponge for two thousand years. It is easily already the greatest city in the world - and within fifteen years the immigrant boom will see the Uk, led by London, as by far and away the largest economy in Europe.

Greatest Shittthole City in the world - lol right.

London is somewhere in this list but a long way from the top.

A miserable cold, dirty, grey and smelly city....perhaps it's at the top of that list?

Bitter old man.