Macintosh Compatible Mobilephones

Alreadyinuse

Last week my SLVR Motorola have had some problems and is starting to live its own life. I will bring it in for service, its only about 6 months old. Anyhow I am in search for a mobile telephone that will be compatible towards macintosh. I am talking about macsoftware for that specific phone..

I have had a problem finding one, maybe I am just not being understood. Interested of brands, models and places of purchase (Bangkok)

Thanks

P

Edited by Alreadyinuse

Last week my SLVR Motorola have had some problems and is starting to live its own life. I will bring it in for service, its only about 6 months old. Anyhow I am in search for a mobile telephone that will be compatible towards macintosh. I am talking about macsoftware for that specific phone..

I have had a problem finding one, maybe I am just not being understood. Interested of brands, models and places of purchase (Bangkok)

Thanks

P

Any Nokia or Sony Ericsson will work, methinks. Apple is usually pretty good about supporting phones, maybe the very latest models will cause trouble but even then, it depends on the phone.

I would think any symbian smart phone will work with Mac - e.g. you can install the on-phone software from Apple and enjoy synchronizing address book and calendar via iSync. I use it on a Nokia 6600, works perfectly via Bluetooth.

I would Google for it, but can't reach Google right now...

Thanks

P

Checked the Palm website and their Treo 650 smartphone is available in Thailand. Under System Requirements it says "Macintosh Mac OS" (also Windows).

The Treo 650 works like a dream with the Mac OS. I can't recommend it enough. If you're running Entourage as your email client, I'd also recommend you buy Missing Sync for the Palm OS. The combinnation of the Treo 650, Missing Sync, and the Mac OS will provide you as perfect a computing experience as exists anywhere on the planet.

I've a mac and a motorola Razor v3i and the motorola itself is a geeat wee phone but its bluetooth compatibilty with the mac is non existant! i had no probs with nokia as soon as my contract is up with motorola i'll be heading back to nokia with open arms.....

Thats the thing, as soon as the contract run out i will go on to the next phone.. I also heard Sony Ericson would be one of the better. Well hopefully more tips will come through here. Thanks alot...

I don't understand. Why not just buy an unlocked cell phone, and no contract?

• 1 month later...
Newbie here- I too, am looking for a bluetooth phone to go with my Mac. Where can I buy an unblocked phone?

Do I need a D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter or is the phone all i need?

Thanks!

You don't need a bluetooth adapter unless your Mac lacks built-in bluetooth. I know nothing about the desktop lines, but all of the PowerBooks, iBooks, and whatever they're calling the new lines of laptops this season all have bluetooth as part of the standard configuration.

As I did above, however, I again recommend you get Missing Sync whatever else you do. Google it and check their web site. It is far and away the most reliable and transparent way of syncing a Mac with a mobile phone or PDA. All of the other methods have major drawbacks on the Mac platform.

Thanks - yes I have bluetooth built in. so I will just go phone shopping. This is great! So ive read that I don’t need to worry about unlocking the phone anymore- that’s good. Any recommendation on a good phone up to 7000 baht to pick up while in Bangkok next week? I'm using Mac mail for my eMail. Which phone carrier/service works best with GSRP. Thanks HH

The Treo 650 works like a dream with the Mac OS. I can't recommend it enough. If you're running Entourage as your email client, I'd also recommend you buy Missing Sync for the Palm OS. The combinnation of the Treo 650, Missing Sync, and the Mac OS will provide you as perfect a computing experience as exists anywhere on the planet.

I'm decidedly not adept or technically knowledgeable about these matters. But I have long used pda s for agenda, addresses, memos etc; and an apple ibook for basic writing and internet purposes. Now I want to move to a keyboard pda. Moreover I'm also ready to get a new mobile - and combining the two would be ideal - if the machine was reliable. It seems the treo or the blakberry are the two candidates. If the treo is much easier to sync with apple that would decide it.

Is the treo 650 a recent and latest model? Would I make a big saving in price if I had a friend buy in america (we're meeting in december)?

I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest solution to having a keyboard pda/phone with optimal sync capability with apple laptops (including the new intel ones to which I may move if my present ibook has a mishap). Is it easy to move the data on my palm tungsten to the new pda/phone and sync it all with the ibook? Would the apple store do this for me for a charge?

Obviously what you wrote was music to my ears, fitted my needs - but is the treo the best, simplest, cheapest or only way to go?

Any comments would be very helpful.

bhc