Hunt for Siam Paragon bombers

webfact

SIAM PARAGON EXPLOSION
Hunt for bombers

THE NATION

30253226-05_big.jpg

2 men 'caught on CCTV', security upgraded nationwide

BANGKOK: -- SECURITY will be heightened across the country following double explosions in Bangkok's shopping district on Sunday night as police hunt for at least two culprits believed to have been recorded on surveillance cameras.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan implied yesterday that martial law would need to be retained following the incident - the first case of blasts in the capital since the coup last May.

"I have ordered security to be tightened because this case involves the well-being of the people," the prime minister told reporters before leaving for Nakhon Ratchasima province yesterday. "There are still bad people disrupting the peace. We must find ways to severely punish them."

Prawit, meanwhile, warned of stepped up security across the country. "We will strictly enforce security across the country. We need to have high security checks in some areas," he said.

"We can't say for now who is behind this. It could be people who have bad intentions, or are linked to politics or people who think differently," the defence minister said.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said yesterday that the government would still need martial law to maintain peace even if the Sunday's blasts did not happen.

The business sector, meanwhile, voiced concern yesterday over possible impacts on investor confidence and tourism. They called for an explanation from the authorities as to why such an incident took place at a time the country was under martial law.

Police investigators did not rule out politics or terrorism as possible motives for the incident, national police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung said yesterday.

The two bombs exploded on an elevated walkway connecting the BTS Siam station and the upscale Siam Paragon shopping mall. Two people were slightly hurt.

The two devices, detonated with a digital wristwatch, were timed to explode about 30 seconds apart, Somyot said.

Security-camera footage showed two possible suspects near where the pipe bombs exploded but police have not identified them.

Deputy national police chief Pol General Jakthip Chaichinda said investigators believed at least two people were responsible for planting the bombs, adding that they expected to cause injuries or even deaths.

Orange bag left before blast

CCTV footage showed the suspects left an orange bag at a spot before an explosion, he said.

Jakthip said he expected police to issue arrest warrants for the two suspects this week. He added that about 90 per cent of bomb attacks in Bangkok were politically motivated although it remained unclear if that was the case for the latest incident.

Both police and the military yesterday condemned the attack, deemed to be aimed at innocent people.

An academic warned of increased violence and described the incident on Sunday as a move to test the junta's power following the recent verdict by the National Legislative Assembly to impeach former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political science lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, yesterday expressed his concerns over the incident.

"The bomb is in defiance of martial law and military rule. It is the first event to break the post-coup calm and stability," he told The Nation.

"It coincides with the consequent tension from Yingluck's impeachment. It is likely to exacerbate the situation," he said.

Panitan Wattanayagorn, an adviser to Prawit, said he expected martial law to still be in place following the incident.

"According to the deputy premier, there will be no changes in the use of martial law at the moment," he said in an interview.

As for Prayut's reaction, Panitan said the premier had been informed about |the drama since very beginning and |had ordered authorities in charge to |investigate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Hunt-for-bombers-30253226.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-03

Yes they are already in control. But they now can use this bombing to take a more heavy handed approach to everything they do.

That perception could certainly benefit anti-government protesters. Could even explain them being the culprits.

• Like 1

"don't know if it's political or terrorism"

Should have said, "Don't know if it's terrorism for political reasons, terrorism spreading from the Southern insurgency, or terrorism of another sort". Bombs in public places are terrorism....don't excuse the Reds just because they are political.

Someone is saying how can this happen when martial law is in place ?

Well I don't see Martial law anywhere I have been , there are no troops on every street corner, in fact there are none at all in the town where I live, life goes on as normal, I and everyone else I know goes where they want when they want doing what they want.

Martial law are only words for the vast majority in this country and don't effect their lives in the least.

The only ones who are affected are those who are engaged in politics or want to make trouble.

We now have two bombs planted by someone who is out to make trouble, to defy if you like, for whatever reason they think in their narrow view is justified.

Lets hope they can quickly identify and round up the ones who planted these things and prevent them ever doing it again, with the police now being watched carefully and forced to do their job that is likely to happen.

Umm, I think the police or ex-CIB did it ???

Police to seek warrants for arrest of two Siam Paragon bomb suspects

3-2-2558-10-38-43-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The police will issue warrants for the arrest of two suspects they now gained evidence to charge them in connection with the bomb explosions in front of Siam Paragon shopping mall Sunday night.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawuthi Thavornsiri confirmed that the police investigators were prepare to seek permission from the Criminal Court to issue arrest warrants today.

He said the two suspects were caught in video footages of several surveillance cameras showing them leaving plastic bags separately at the two places shortly before the bombs went off.

He said the two suspects wearing caps and white shirts and shoes carried orange plastic bags believed to contain the bomb devices. The two suspects split and each separately placed the bag at the two places about 10 metres apart and left quickly.

He said the police now established political motive as the strongest cause of the bombing.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-seek-warrants-arrest-two-siam-paragon-bomb-suspects

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-03

The two suspects have not even been caught and interrogated and they have concluded the motive to be political. Isn't this abetting the real motive.

well if it is known they just happen to accidently belong to a particular political activist group then it is not an astounding conclusion to join the dots, I do hope that when arrested trying to flee to Cambodia that they also give up the people or person that gave the order

• Like 1

Just glad only 2 were injured. I did not hear how badly.

It is always a difficult GUESS here (or in many countries) - was it done by the powers that be to justify their actions? In this case it is logical, as they need to remain in power long enough to achieve effective changes, also read this as 'certain things happen.' They also benefit greatly by having a reason to bust any opponent they want to as they would have all the evidence required.

On the other hand it could be a random act by some nuts. This is very unlikely as we do not see this kind of thing done regularly, if ever here.

Still it could be a politically motivated action to make the police look like they cannot secure the place (mall) or transport system. But if this were the case, it would be much more effective to do a BIG bomb in the middle of the night in a station - say on the platform at Siam, which would require days of repair and everyone would have to walk past and see it. It would screw up transport and make martial law look bad.

Self appointed detective that I am, I would guess it is the military or someone in the military who set it up with a motive to justify martial law on some level, for local consumption but also perhaps for international consumption as well.

• Like 2

"The bomb is in defiance of martial law and military rule. It is the first event to break the post-coup calm and stability," he told The Nation.

"It coincides with the consequent tension from Yingluck's impeachment. It is likely to exacerbate the situation," he said.

And all the bombs and killings in the south did not break the post coup calm?

It only counts if it's in Bangkok.

And of course it's Yingluck's fault too.

They are completely separate issues. The Southern problems have been ongoing for decades and are not about political differences but related to religious disagreements over the deep South bordering Malaysia becoming a separate Islamic state.

Yingluck wasn't interested in the troubles and wouldn't have had a clue about them and Thaksin only aggravated them and made things ten times worse when he did have a go at resolving the problem by acting like rambo in trying to crack a nut with a hammer!!

• Like 2

Someone is saying how can this happen when martial law is in place ?

Well I don't see Martial law anywhere I have been , there are no troops on every street corner, in fact there are none at all in the town where I live, life goes on as normal, I and everyone else I know goes where they want when they want doing what they want.

Martial law are only words for the vast majority in this country and don't effect their lives in the least.

The only ones who are affected are those who are engaged in politics or want to make trouble.

We now have two bombs planted by someone who is out to make trouble, to defy if you like, for whatever reason they think in their narrow view is justified.

Lets hope they can quickly identify and round up the ones who planted these things and prevent them ever doing it again, with the police now being watched carefully and forced to do their job that is likely to happen.

Who is watching the watchers?

"The business sector, meanwhile, voiced concern yesterday .... They called for an explanation from the authorities as to why such an incident took place at a time the country was under martial law."

Quite right too. I spread a liberal amount of sunblock on myself and now it is raining. I want a suitable explanation from the manufactures.

• Like 2

If the bombs were timed to detonate 30 seconds apart, then they were meant to kill for sure.

Twaddle. If you wanted to kill someone anf get away with it, you wouldn't carry out the bombing on the walkway in full view of dozens of cameras and bystanders.

With a discrete orange bag.......

And lo and behold martial law must remain and security is tightened.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan implied yesterday that martial law would need to be retained following the incident

Who does this attack stand to benefit? Were that thinking that their case for keeping martial law wasn't strong enough?

We can't say for now who is behind this. It could be people who have bad intentions...

How very astute of him. Someone give this man a medal, and a Sherlock Holmes pipe.

No one killed, only 2 injured, and no damage. If the bombers really wanted to make a statement, they would have made sure this was detonated in a public area.

This reeks of a controlled event, which only gives the junta more backing for holding onto power.

• Like 1

And all the bombs and killings in the south did not break the post coup calm?

It only counts if it's in Bangkok.

And of course it's Yingluck's fault too.

Yes !

It is even her main fault !!

as she and the shinwas dived a lovely country in this political and social desaster !!

wai2.gif

The military don't need an excuse, they are in charge at that is the way it will stay for the foreseeable future, I cannot see them bothering with attempted bombings like that in Bangkok. If they needed an excuse they would stop martial law first, cause a major incident, then re-impose martial law again saying that is what happens when you relax the laws at this time, it would give them a ready excuse to clamp down heavily on political parties and extremists.w00t.gif