Change work permit to retirement

Hi - I did search this topic but the information was 3 years old, Does anyone know if this is possible now and what the process would be?

I am working here with work permit (Oil & Gas) in Sattahip but the project ends soon and I am thinking of retiring then - I have over the 800k in local bank but it is in fixed term deposits and probably 450K in current account. I am 50 and have a condo here already.

thanks for the advice.

S

I cannot give you a definitive answer as to whether you will be able to change the reason for your extension of stay to retirement. Up to a few months ago I could of said no problem. But many immigration offices will not do it now.

If the immigration office where you will be applying for it is Jomtien the answer is no.

You will need to out for a non-o visa. Vientiane Laos is the best place to go for it. Just your passport and bank book will be needed.

If your fixed term account allows you to withdraw funds with no delay and no penalty other than loss of interest immigration will accept it,

Do not confuse the work permit with the extension of stay that is stamped in your passport.

Once you end working you cancel the work permit at labor office and apply for a new extension at immigration.

If they refuse to give the extension you would get 7 days to leave country, and would travel to Laos as ubonjoe indicated above.

Do not confuse the work permit with the extension of stay that is stamped in your passport.

Once you end working you cancel the work permit at labor office and apply for a new extension at immigration.

If they refuse to give the extension you would get 7 days to leave country, and would travel to Laos as ubonjoe indicated above.

Er don't confuse people as regards " you would get 7 days to leave the country"....that "rule" went out the door years ago,

You get 7 days only if you pay for the 7 days

on extension of stay for employment, your suppose to be out the country the day your extension is cancelled

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you got 7 days automatically to leave after WP is withdrawn - thanks for the info. I think it may be easier to get new O visa and the go for retirement rather than attempt to swap WP extension to retirement,

thanks guys