A paperless Thailand: Plans for 700 Thai government agencies to go online

Jonathan Fairfield

How about Immigrations?

They seem to already be a paperplusplus paperless system. Everything they do is done on computer and on paper (much paperwork in duplicate) right down to making you bring in a picture and then taking your picture via computer and updating your info in the computer while processing all your paperwork and then logging it into a log book. I always wonder if they must have one massive warehouse to store all those documents they collect daily or if they have another department that scans the papers, that contain the information they already entered into the computer, and then upload those to a computer or possibly onto film for a microfiche so they have a back up of the computer and paperwork.

At least it keeps a lot of people employed. You don't even see many vending machines in Thailand. Cheaper just to have a human handling the transaction to buy a soda ... though things are changing it is going to take a lot more time to move the economy to a more hightek driven one. As more and more people attend university here and not depending on manual type jobs for income the changes are slowly coming ... regardless of the pros and cons.

My experience with 'paperless' has always been 'papermore'. You look at a document but don't want to look at it on a screen (especially when looking at more than one at a time). But then since you are a paperless office, you can't give the paper to the person auditing your work, so you keep it at your desk. Then you click something somewhere and the file goes to the auditor who does what you just did. Later the manager does the same before signing off. Now everyone shreds the evidence.

So there was three copies instead of one. Then, every six months, when someone needs to look at the file, pages are printed / shredded again. Rinse repeat, rinse repeat. So instead of one set in a file somewhere (with a digital backup), you have the same thing printed multiple times.

Thai customs work paperless for a long time, but to set it up, you will need to sign about 500 doc's...

If you are based in Chomburi but your accountant in Bangkok, you update your company affidavit at Bangkok, and find out it was never updated in Chomburi DBD office, even after years.

It has nothing to do with the system, it's stupidity and Thainess.... clouds will not change this attitude .

90 day reporting alas still needs the form in some offices; I asked if it was necessary and they said yes - in case the computer system goes down! paperless offices in LoS??? i should coco!

On my last report, I went in with the form filled out ahead of time, as usual, and they specifically told me not to do it again. Just come in, put my passport in a basket, then they scan it, print out the new 90 notice (instead of tearing it off the bottom of the form like they used to do) and I'm out the door in less than a minute or two. But, yea, all offices are different.

I would be very sceptical about leaving my passport in a Thai office basket.

What? No more files which can be 'misplaced', 'in another service', no 'cannot find now' anymore? Oh my Buddha! What will 'they' need to do to get their 'tea money' then? No more stopped/influenced/perverted expensive courtcases? No more juicy negotiated deals? This is sending most of the civil servants into poverty! Starting with the nice people of the land office, tesa ban, the phu yais, khamnans and district chiefs, even friendly attorneys, Mercedes and BMW dealers, etc.! This is robbery in plain daylight! You're going to abruptly cut off one of the main branches of the corruption tree! May dai, may dai!

...Or will the usual crooks just have to pay higher rates to the greedy officials to get some computer files altered or deleted? Thais can be very creative for grabbing other people's money...!

• Like 1

If it happened they could get rid of 50% of all Civil Servants who walk around all day with one piece of paper making it look like they are doing something. However; watch this space for progress and return to it in 50 years !

Arai farang!? You have a problem with my family and mia nois working in my department, Mind your own businesse or go back to your country, aaah!

• Like 1

90 day reporting alas still needs the form in some offices; I asked if it was necessary and they said yes - in case the computer system goes down! paperless offices in LoS??? i should coco!

On my last report, I went in with the form filled out ahead of time, as usual, and they specifically told me not to do it again. Just come in, put my passport in a basket, then they scan it, print out the new 90 notice (instead of tearing it off the bottom of the form like they used to do) and I'm out the door in less than a minute or two. But, yea, all offices are different.

Where do you live? The, unsecured, basket with passports, sure, but out in less than a minute!? Even my well-known Thai wife can't clear it for me in less than 5 minutes...

There is a drought situation in certain provinces.If the Thai civil service/government cannot manage water resources properly (they have had a very long time to perfect this task) then to achieve the dream of a fully integrated paperless method of administration is 'just a dream'. The incompetance of a considerable number those that are in control of the Thai infrastructure seems to be boundless. Unless there is a total change in the mindset of theThai method of employment of decision makers from who you know/family/money to what you know/competance then this will just be another huge waste of money/resources . Just like the aircraft carrier/airship/idea of submarines/portable metal detectors (scam artists scammed). If it ever happens it won't work properly, internet infrastructure not good,project management skiils lacking, no experience in successful huge infrastructure implementation and we the end user will get the 'the computer system is down/not working properly' excuse. Just like in England.Dream on.

They could always cut immigration paperwork, what do they do with all those photocopies? My office now ask for 4 passport copies of various pages just to do a 90 day report, all barely looked at and stuffed in a pile somewhere. The only half decently functioning Thai website I have seen is Krungsri bank, even Thai airways site is rubbish and immigration site still has stuff outdated years ago.

Of course when it comes to storage no doubt it will be in a collective system of free cloud vaults with no promise of either security or longevity of said apps too.

Indeed, '' the road to hell is paved with good intentions.''whistling.gif

Really? I have enjoyed the 18th century office administration. Who doesn't love having to fill out the same forms for transactions made several times before? I love it! And when the grumpy man in the brown uniform grunts at his underling to search for a paper file stuffed in the back of a cabinet...well, that just sends my heart singing. Please, Thailand. Don't go on-line. Think of all the paper you'll miss pushing around.

So next time I file my balance sheet with the revenue department, I will not have to take a copy of my passport anymore, but I will still have to place around 75 signatures on the 5 copies of all the documents involved.

If the paperwork is in PDF format try dowloading Nitro reader 3 as you can edit PDF with this program and also save a copy of your signature to insert on the document.

How about Immigrations?

It's already happening with the 90 day report. I no longer need to fill out a form at my Immigration Office. Just give them the passport, they "read it," print out a new 90 day notice and staple it in the passport. Fast and easy.

Still need a copy of the passport, extension of stay stamp and departure card.

Now the 90 day report is something we should be able to do online without going to the office.

The last twice I went to Nakhon Sawan Immigration office all they wanted was my passport. They scanned it, printed out the form, tore off the bottom bit, stamped and signed it and gave me the part I needed along with my passport.

The last time took 3 minutes, from entry to the office to closing the door behind me.