Traveling Pak Klang (central Plains)

Smurkster

hello

I live in Nongbualamphu but I am currently in Vientiane Laos, where I will meet my parents. They will be in Southeast Asia for Three weeks. We will go northern Laos and take a boat trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang and then back to Vientiane where we will cross over back to Isan to finish off the rest of their journey. This is their third time coming to see me ( I have been living in Thailand and Laos for 5 years) and we have seen various parts of Laos together...This time however I want to do something new for both them and me (and my wife). I want to visit the Central Plains and the Chao Phraya river. Since I knew the Mekong fairly well already and am going to get even more educated about it on my upcoming trip, I feel like I want to get to know Thailand's other important river. I love history and "Thailand/Siam" history if very much dependent on Chao Phraya......

Anyway, my plan was to drive from Nongbua south via highway 21. I wanted to start in Lopburi then head south again to visit the ruins of Ayutthaya...then after that, I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want to go any further North of Nakhon Sawan before headed north again back to Nongbua...I want to do about 4-5 days...I would love to hear suggestions about cool places/provinces worthwhile that show good representations of the Central plains and the Chao Praya....Which places are worth checking out? what places are not worth checking out....I'd love to hear anyone's sample itineraries, accommodation suggestions, route suggestions...anything at all...As I have said I am painfully unfamiliar with this part of Thailand so any help would be great....

Again about 4-5 days, I have my own car can be very flexible.....

Edited by Smurkster

• 1 month later...

Im sure you'll get better suggestions from the likes of KanWin for visits around kanchanaburi, but depending on their interests id suggest a trip up there, as a guess around a 2 hour plus drive from ayuthaya, war museum and cemetary which incidently is very well kept, the temple in the cave (forgot its name)

Not so much to see in my area of suphanburi apart from some very nice temples and bunchawak park or the 100 year old market at sam chuk

• Like 1

Hi Smurkster and thank you for the plug jonnyscot,

Kanchanaburi as was mentioned is not far from Ayutthaya and you will have to pass by Suphanburi, where there is a large aquarium and then Tower as well to visit, after that head for Kan.

Depending on your budget, stay at the Felix on the other side of the River near the Famous Bridge which you could walk across from that hotel.

Lots to see as you have your own wheels which is very handy to have as Kan is the third largest province in Thailand.

World War II history a plenty, War Cemeteries 2 of then, War Museums 3 of them, Waterfalls quite a few, but require a car to get there which you have. Safari Open Park for me is a must to go and hand fed the animals, 2 huge Dams, some great Temples as well to visit if you so wish etc....

Maps and photos of Kan and of Thailand are on my web-page.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Welcome to Kan should you visit us. wai.gif

Win thumbsup.gif