Portrait photos in costume

Will P

The wife and I thought it would be a good idea to have our photo taken in one of those places where you can dress up in traditional Thai costume. We remembered a place on the upper floor of the Central Center in North Pattaya but found today it had closed - no forwarding address. Does anyone know of a place in Funtown that still does this? Tacky perhaps, but humour me.

I could be wrong but I think most of the places displaying portraits such as you described are actually selling wedding photography services and the traditional Thai costumes you see the people wearing are what they will be wearing on their wedding day. It sounds like you may be looking for something less formal (and less expensive) and would like to find a place that has a load of costumes for you to choose from in their shop/studio and I am not aware of any of those.

If you're wife is Thai she is more likely to be able to track down one of these places than you, assuming there are any here. I would suggest she asks at any of the photo developing shops around town. The chances are you will be offered photo manipulation services though - i.e. wear whatever you like and they will digitally add the costumes.

If you want to do some legwork to try to find what you're looking for there is usually a place offering the wedding photo pics on the G/F of Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang (ex-Carrefour), somewhere around the MK Restaurant and Food Court. There's a place on the 3rd floor of The Avenue next to the entrance to the bowling alley that you could try, although I think they may be more focused on photo manipulation - I'm not sure. Whilst you're there you could wander across to Royal Garden Plaza and see what's available there.

Good luck.

Thanks, Jimmy and Lenny. Some great ideas which we'll follow up. I hadn't noticed the Nong Nooch facility but we're there reasonably often so will give it a try. It's a good feeling to have such helpful online friends.