Full frame Pentax

I was just about to sell all the Pentax kit and move over to Sony FE mount in anticipation of the forthcoming A7rII or A9 . . . which was a terrifying proposition both in the selling of the old and the financing of the new.

Phew! No need.

Full frame lenses I already have in Pentax K-mount . . . .

• Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (properly corrected)
  • Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (now properly corrected having been fixed)
  • Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited (minty)
  • Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited (the finest lens ever made)
  • Pentax-FA 50mm f1/4
  • Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2
  • Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
  • Revuenon 55mm f/1.2
  • Pentax-DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR
  • Various 135mm M42's

So that's most focal lengths and applications covered, but most of all I really want a 24mm tilt-shift. Samyang do one for the K-mount which I believe covers the full frame image circle, but I was hoping for quality like the Canon TS-E 24/3.5 MkII.

Pentax has just announced a 70-200mm f/2.8 which is of interest. Also the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art is available in Pentax K-mount (oh goody!)

Will retain the Pentax K-3 for the Sigma 8-16mm and Pentax-DA 15mm f/4 Limited (might sell as crop only) as well as macro.

I hope the new Pentax FF will . . .

• Maintain the stunning build quality not offered by Canon or Nikon or Sony, Leica comes close;
  • Retain the weather resistance of other Pentax models;
  • Retain the form factor and superb ergonomics of the K-5/K-3 series;
  • Retain in camera shake reduction or go for 5-axis IBIS;
  • Use the forthcoming Sony 50mp sensor but with that Pentax magic they do, or the 36mp chip in the A7r;
  • Have a hybrid OVF/EVF;
  • Have a large tilting rear screen;
  • Integrate a grip like a D4 but the size of the Pentax K-3 with grip;
  • Improve the AF with AF points spread across the sensor for improved tracking and rule of thirds in action shots;
  • Have 7-8 frames per second in RAW capability, which is enough;
  • Have much faster flash sync speed, like 1/1000sec if possible with a focal plane shutter (which is doubtful);
  • Improve the P-TTL over previous Pentax models;
  • Retain or improve on the excellent 86,000 segment metering system of the K-3;
  • Have much better video codec, 4K with internal recording (Pentax has always failed miserably on video);
  • Retain the same functionality of the K-3 like the superb exposure bracketing system for HDR.

Going to wait until 2016 to see the reviews, tot up the weight of the kit and see if Sony can actually make a camera. But most likely going stick to with Pentax and dump the Sony A7r and FE55/1.8 and all the bits and bobs (fortunately got it all for a comparative song, under £2k for body, grip, bats, chargers, FE55 and Rayqual and Novoflex adapters).

I haven't really got on with the A7r which is a slow clonking device with questionable RAW file compression and appalling battery life. It's small and light and the EVF is superb, but I haven't bonded with the thing like I have with Pentax cameras. The AF is dreadful, the shutter lag even worse and the shutter slap utterly dire . . . as a user friendly camera, it fails on too many counts.

Viva. La. Pentax!

Also on the wish list:

• Eye focus control as part of the EVF hybrid;
  • In camera focus stacking;
  • GPS;
  • WiFi tethering for studio et.al;
  • Continue to use sensor shift for astrotracer function and perspective control. In fact increase this function to turn any lens into a tilt shift proper.

Pentaxian's have been wait a decade for this camera and Ricoh need to deliver.

Nasim Mansurov . . .

https://photographylife.com/full-frame-pentax-dslr-definitely-coming

The ever-raging Canon vs Nikon debate might have you believing users of those particular systems are the most loyal to their brands. From what I’ve seen, though, neither Canon nor Nikon shooters have anything on those who shoot Pentax and swear by it. It’s a very niche system, that. No other DSLR manufacturer has such an array of competitive products priced so aggressively, that are also so compact and, when it comes to high-end models, so brilliantly rugged. No other DSLR manufacturer has such a great lineup of tiny, high quality autofocus prime lenses.

Some of the comments are worth a read too.

I was just about to sell all the Pentax kit and move over to Sony FE mount in anticipation of the forthcoming A7rII or A9 . . . which was a terrifying proposition both in the selling of the old and the financing of the new.

Phew! No need.

Full frame lenses I already have in Pentax K-mount . . . .

• Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (properly corrected)
  • Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (now properly corrected having been fixed)
  • Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited (minty)
  • Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited (the finest lens ever made)
  • Pentax-FA 50mm f1/4
  • Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2
  • Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
  • Revuenon 55mm f/1.2
  • Pentax-DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR
  • Various 135mm M42's

So that's most focal lengths and applications covered, but most of all I really want a 24mm tilt-shift. Samyang do one for the K-mount which I believe covers the full frame image circle, but I was hoping for quality like the Canon TS-E 24/3.5 MkII.

Pentax has just announced a 70-200mm f/2.8 which is of interest. Also the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art is available in Pentax K-mount (oh goody!)

Will retain the Pentax K-3 for the Sigma 8-16mm and Pentax-DA 15mm f/4 Limited (might sell as crop only) as well as macro.

I hope the new Pentax FF will . . .

• Maintain the stunning build quality not offered by Canon or Nikon or Sony, Leica comes close;
  • Retain the weather resistance of other Pentax models;
  • Retain the form factor and superb ergonomics of the K-5/K-3 series;
  • Retain in camera shake reduction or go for 5-axis IBIS;
  • Use the forthcoming Sony 50mp sensor but with that Pentax magic they do, or the 36mp chip in the A7r;
  • Have a hybrid OVF/EVF;
  • Have a large tilting rear screen;
  • Integrate a grip like a D4 but the size of the Pentax K-3 with grip;
  • Improve the AF with AF points spread across the sensor for improved tracking and rule of thirds in action shots;
  • Have 7-8 frames per second in RAW capability, which is enough;
  • Have much faster flash sync speed, like 1/1000sec if possible with a focal plane shutter (which is doubtful);
  • Improve the P-TTL over previous Pentax models;
  • Retain or improve on the excellent 86,000 segment metering system of the K-3;
  • Have much better video codec, 4K with internal recording (Pentax has always failed miserably on video);
  • Retain the same functionality of the K-3 like the superb exposure bracketing system for HDR.

Going to wait until 2016 to see the reviews, tot up the weight of the kit and see if Sony can actually make a camera. But most likely going stick to with Pentax and dump the Sony A7r and FE55/1.8 and all the bits and bobs (fortunately got it all for a comparative song, under £2k for body, grip, bats, chargers, FE55 and Rayqual and Novoflex adapters).

I haven't really got on with the A7r which is a slow clonking device with questionable RAW file compression and appalling battery life. It's small and light and the EVF is superb, but I haven't bonded with the thing like I have with Pentax cameras. The AF is dreadful, the shutter lag even worse and the shutter slap utterly dire . . . as a user friendly camera, it fails on too many counts.

Viva. La. Pentax!

Your expectations are high young warrior. You will inevitably be disappointed. It may even, dare I say it, be a dog. Better hang to that Sony stuff in the meantime.

^^Pentax either makes a camera that is incredible. Or a complete dog. It was Chris Nicols of 'The Camera Store' that noted this when comparing the KS-1 (awful thing) to the 645z. He said, "Only Pentax can get something so wrong and something else so right".

The K-3 is right up there with the best of them. The 645z too. The K-30, the same, fantastic camera. The KS-1 is a pile of. I suspect the FF will be on the K-3/645z end of good.

This A7r, in my opinion, is a great sensor wrapped up in an awful camera. No need to hang on to it.

^^^ M...In the beginning there was nothing. Then it (nothing) exploded.

Monty-Python-God.png

And so it was written that since the beginning of time Pentaxian's had predicted that next year Pentax shall bequeath a full frame camera unto loyal Pentaxian's, only to be woefully disappointed with each millennium. Thus, it has come to pass and there was deep deep joy at the prospect that, finally, Pentaxian's suffering the Sony adaptation hell could . . . finally . . . use their Pentax full frame AF lenses as ^^ had originally intended . . . back before the Bayer sensor and way back when way before whenever . . . like 2001 way before.

• 4 months later...

Good grief, another pentax user here in Thailand!

Nasim Mansurov . . .

https://photographylife.com/full-frame-pentax-dslr-definitely-coming

The ever-raging Canon vs Nikon debate might have you believing users of those particular systems are the most loyal to their brands. From what I’ve seen, though, neither Canon nor Nikon shooters have anything on those who shoot Pentax and swear by it. It’s a very niche system, that. No other DSLR manufacturer has such an array of competitive products priced so aggressively, that are also so compact and, when it comes to high-end models, so brilliantly rugged. No other DSLR manufacturer has such a great lineup of tiny, high quality autofocus prime lenses.

Can't argue with that really... been using Pentax now for well over 30 years, since the days when the ME was new. Fantastic cameras and lenses, and I'm not surprised re your feelings about the sony... I simply don't get on with what passes for their ergonomics, though the sensors are brilliant.

Archived