Bangkok ranked among world’s top 10 cities with worst traffic

webfact

Bangkok ranked among world’s top 10 cities with worst traffic

5-2-2558-13-36-56-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok was ranked eighth among the world's top 10 cities having the worst traffic, according to a new study by British motor-oil company Castrol.

The Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start index, named for the British motor oil company that compiled it, looks at traffic conditions and number of annual start-stops per car in 78 cities around the world to determine how traffic affects journey times.

In first place is Jakarta with 33,240 start-stops per year followed by Istanbul, Turkey, with 32,520 start-stops, and Mexico City with 30,840.

Bangkok came in the eighth place with 27,480 start-stops.

Rotterdam in the Netherlands registered the last with 6360 stop-starts a year.

The index, which was put together using the GPS data provided by Tom Tom navigation users, said drivers experiencing more than 18,000 stop-starts a year experienced “severe” traffic. It warned that drivers should take actions to protect against stop-start engine wear.

Castrol used GPS measurements collected by Tom Tom navigation to come up with a start-stop average per kilometre. It then multiplied that number by the average distance driven per year in each city.

In 26 of those cities the index also looks at amount of time cars spend idling.

Some of the worst idling times were recorded in Thailand.

Almost 36.07% of an average driver’s travel time in Bangkok is spent in idling mode.

Other cities are Russia (Saint Petersburg, 35.84) Mexico (Guadalajara, 33.24) and China (Shanghai, 33.09).

Here’s a look at how the cities that made the top 10 worst traffic ranking measure up:

Jakarta, Indonesia (33,240); Istanbul, Turkey (32, 520); Mexico City, Mexico (30,840); Surabaya, Indonesia (29,880); St. Petersburg, Russia (29,040); Moscow, Russia (28,680); Rome, Italy (28,680); Bangkok, Thailand (27,480); Guadalajara, Mexico (24,840).

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-05

Actually Bangkok is way higher than 8th.

None of those stop starts include pedestrian crossings, or Red lights.

Must also congratulate the article of showing a list of the 10 worst cities in the world. Then including only 9.

10. Buenos Aires, Argentina - 23,760

9. Guadalajara, Mexico - 24,840

8. Bangkok, Thailand - 27,480

7. Rome, Italy - 28,680

6. Moscow, Russia - 28,680

5. St. Petersburg, Russia - 29,040

4. Surabaya, Indonesia - 29,880

3. Mexico City, Mexico - 30,840

2. Istanbul, Turkey - 32,520

1. Jakarta, Indonesia - 33,240

Time Magazine

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

Bangkok, like many of the other cities on the list could benefit greatly by following the lead of several large western cities and strategically time lights to ensure more effective traffic flow.

I have lived in Boston and San Fransisco, and in both those cities, if a driver starts at a light and averages the exact speed limit, they will hit green lights for a very long time. It is hard to do in a car, so yes, there will be red lights. But I rode motorcycles, and was amazed that I could cross San Francisco at morning rush hour, and never stop.

Here in BKK ... it is almost by design, each light turns red in the advance of on coming traffic.

And then comes the kicker. I timed a light once, it was red for five minutes, and was green for 30 seconds.

And do you know what was happening in those 30 seconds? Dozens of drivers where taking off their emergency brakes and putting the car into gear. Less than 10 cars were getting through the light per change.

I gave the driver the fare and a nice tip to compensate him being stuck, and walked the rest of the way. That was a few months ago ... I hope he has made it home by now.

In cities that have long main roads similar to Sukhumvit, it is possible to go kilometers and through many green lights ... it is not rocket science to time lights and use road sensors to coordinate traffic flow.

Edited by Guest

Must also congratulate the article of showing a list of the 10 worst cities in the world. Then including only 9.

When does anyone ever stop for pedestrian crossings or the first 10 seconds of a red light.

Bangkok, like many of the other cities on the list could benefit greatly by following the lead of several large western cities and strategically time lights to ensure more effective traffic flow.

I have lived in Boston and San Fransisco, and in both those cities, if a driver starts at a light and averages the exact speed limit, they will hit green lights for a very long time. It is hard to do in a car, so yes, there will be red lights. But I rode motorcycles, and was amazed that I could cross San Francisco at morning rush hour, and never stop.

Here in BKK ... it is almost by design, each light turns red in the advance of on coming traffic.

And then comes the kicker. I timed a light once, it was red for five minutes, and was green for 30 seconds.

And do you know what was happening in those 30 seconds? Dozens of drivers where taking off their emergency brakes and putting the car into gear. Less than 10 cars were getting through the light per change.

I gave the driver the fare and a nice tip to compensate him being stuck, and walked the rest of the way. That was a few months ago ... I hope he has made it home by now.

In cities that have long main roads similar to Sukhumvit, it is possible to go kilometers and through many green lights ... it is not rocket science to time lights and use road sensors to coordinate traffic flow.

i've been here so long i dont really think about it anymore but effective traffic management would be very beneficial. on major junctions you have policemen operating the lights and basically doing their own thing relevant for that junction and with no appreciation or co-ordination with what's happening at other junctions.

there appears to be no understanding that leaving lights on green for an excessive length of time or when there is no or low traffic flow the backed up stationery traffic can cause gridlock.

a basic lack in understanding of cause and effect..

proper training of drivers would also help as i see drivers needlessly blocking junctions ALL the time.

solution; a pair of good quality, comfortable shoes combined with the boat on the klong. keeps me fit too.

The reason BKK ranks so high is because nobody can actually drive a car safely. It's always a race. I've been driving in Australia for more than 40 years, never had an accident, but I'm not game to even consider driving in Thailand. Yes there are a few road rules, but nobody obeys them, the police don't enforce them. Oops, sorry they only enforce them in tourist areas and fine the farangs. The locals don't even get pulled over. But all in all that's Thailand isn't it. Like everything else they do it the exact opposite to the rest of the world.

Do you live in Thailand ? On a daily basis in Bangkok motobike riders are pulled over by the traffic cops and fined. Both locals and foreigners.

Any city in Saudi Arabia should be on that list. They are the rudest, most aggressive drivers I've ever seen. Constantly on their horns, riding up cars' asses, and blathering away on cells, they deserve a spot in the world's worst drivers. But this survey was about traffic, so Bangkok deserves to be there. I live what should be a 3 minute car ride to a popular destination, but because of traffic, it takes 25 minutes. Just insane. Pedestrians are to blame, too. I wish taxi's would use their horns at idiots who jaywalk, slowing the flow of traffic.

Edited by falangjim

no mention of Delhi or Bombay.

But Bangkok is much better than it used to be - the expressways, sky train and MRT work well.

what would make a real difference would be to stop the police controlling traffic lights at busy intersections and allowing the computerised system to do its job. They cause a lot of the congestion.

Timed lights would only work if and when people actually abided by the lights. If the intersections are constantly blocked in any direction, timed lights are irrelevant.

Most of what the complainers have to say, 100% irrelevant. Much like they see themselves. irrelevant

Traffic is the oldest of old chestnuts in Bangkok. But i think we have not seen anything yet. Here in Rachayothin we are bracing for the start of the building of the Purple Line, up the length of Pahonyothin Road from Chatujak. We have some bad traffic around here with a huge amount of condo development and new car policies hardly helping. Just as well i ride bikes. Looking forward to seeing your enraged and frustrated faces as I whiz by. Sorry if i clip your wing mirrors in the squeeze.

10. Buenos Aires, Argentina - 23,760

9. Guadalajara, Mexico - 24,840

8. Bangkok, Thailand - 27,480

7. Rome, Italy - 28,680

6. Moscow, Russia - 28,680

5. St. Petersburg, Russia - 29,040

4. Surabaya, Indonesia - 29,880

3. Mexico City, Mexico - 30,840

2. Istanbul, Turkey - 32,520

1. Jakarta, Indonesia - 33,240

Time Magazine

OMG they missed Manila, one of the worst city for traffic and pollution . you can literally seat for hours at a place and nothing moves. once it took 3 hours 27 minits for me to cross a 7 km traffic, if i only knew I would have walked for sure.

• Like 1

Timed lights would only work if and when people actually abided by the lights. If the intersections are constantly blocked in any direction, timed lights are irrelevant.

agree, a big portion of traffic are caused by blocked intersections when the lights change, Thais do not have the concept of not blocking the intersection if the road in front is jammed, that is something you learn in western countries, never block the intersection.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not only the worst traffic.Ex: the worst drivers, the worst education, the worst (democracy) !!!!!!!!!!!!! etc.

And if you live here you can add worst moaning hypocrites to your list.