Siam Paragon bombs: Hunt on for 'Dragon'

webfact

SIAM PARAGON EXPLOSION
Hunt on for 'Dragon'
The Nation

30253508-01_big.JPG?1423171910299

Twin bombs suspects reported to have political connection; police believe duo changed their clothes after planting bombs

BANGKOK: -- ONE OF the two men suspected of planting and detonating two pipe bombs near Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok last Sunday has been identified by his alias — "Dragon" — and he is reportedly based in Samut Prakan, where he is known for his connection to a former politician, a security source said yesterday.

Dragon, described earlier as the good-looking man of the two suspects, is known to be prone to violence and is capable of making bombs. He is known also for his connection to a Lop Buri-based network to which a former Army paramilitary ranger belongs, said the source, citing intelligence reports compiled by security officials.

Citing interviews with the taxi driver who drove the two men, the source said Dragon sat on the rear seat while the other man took the front seat. The driver said Dragon looked to be in his 30s, was good-looking, about 170cm tall, had a round face and elongated chin, while the other man was also in his 30s, had dark skin and a square face. The second man was described as thin, around 160cm tall, and looked like he had been travelling a long distance.

The men hailed the taxi near Century shopping mall on Phya Thai Road and got off when it entered Siam Square, paying Bt70 as taxi fare. The source said the driver was confident he would be able to recognise Dragon if he saw him again.

A police source said footage from surveillance cameras installed around Victory Monument were being examined to determine whether the two men had arrived in Bangkok in a van and got off there.

The two men are seen in the footage in new clothes. They seem to have changed their clothes after planting and detonating the twin pipe bombs, said another police source, basing observations on footage from surveillance cameras.

They later tried to get away on a tuk-tuk, but were turned down by the driver. They hailed this tuk-tuk while heading westward on foot to Phya Thai Road. They are later seen walking towards Chulalongkorn University or the Samyan area along the road, and later disappeared from the camera views, the source added.

The source said the men could have changed their clothes in restrooms at Digital Gateway in Siam Square, and crossed Rama I Road using the BTS Siam Station overbridge after planting the bombs near Siam Paragon.

Another source said that the twin pipe bombs could have been planned by core leaders of a political group that had lost its political benefits, by hiring men in uniform.

Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya yesterday repeated a denial by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha that the military government was behind the bomb attacks last Sunday, saying the government did not need to justify the imposition of martial law. Masterminding the bomb attacks would only backfire against the government, as the situation would certainly affect tourism and businesses, he said.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said he had instructed district offices in the capital to help monitor the situation and stay vigilant to support the police or the military. He called on the city's street sweepers to avoiding inspecting suspicious items, and instead report it to their superiors.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Hunt-on-for-Dragon-30253508.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-06

So Dragon is well known for his connection to a former politician and in true Thai journalistic tradition that's end of story.

Drop it in but say nothing more, not even a hint as to who it might be or from which party. Yes i know there are defamation laws but if the connection is well know... ! OK, TIT.

• Like 2

Where are the anti-types who only yesterday were going on about 'where are all the security cameras' telling us the ones that were there were all fakes or not working.

Seems the cameras do work and they have got some good photos that are able to identify suspects.

Now we see that the police can actually do their job when they have been given the incentive of seeing so many of the senior ranks disappear from their comfortable chairs.

Hope this leads to quick arrests and a money trail that could just link up with some others.

• Like 1

"The driver said Dragon looked to be in his 30s, was good-looking, about 170cm tall, had a round face and elongated chin, while the other man was also in his 30s, had dark skin and a square face. The second man was described as thin, around 160cm tall, and looked like he had been travelling a long distance."

Jeez, the taxi journey was 2 km long, and the taxi driver could remember so many details?? Could the driver also remember all his other passengers from that day too, in similar detail?

I just hope these taxi drivers do not remember me in such detail - and, luckily, all farangs look the same to Thais ...

• Like 1

Pay the UK (SAS) some cash-4 catch fee and you will be gaurented 100% of them in the the police station within 5 minutes from the kick off time.

While they're at it, they can solve crimes down in Koh Tao. The confidence of the Brits in this forum have in their boys is just fascinating.

Ok now i will start a quiz,,,, Winner pays for a round of Hong Thong What does SAS stand for,in the british army?

• Like 1

Pathetic.

Give it a nickname. Does this legitimise idiot people who plant bombs?

This fool is just a mad man.

Not a fool at all. He was hired to do the job and is skilled in what he does (aka one of the so-called "men in black"). He placed the devices in a place that would not hurt anyone but make a large noise. This was clearly politically motivated and not the work of a madman or madmen.

• Like 1

Police work quite efficiently when they aren't being obstructed by their political paymasters...Let the TV reds (and the real ones howl). Most things are better now than they were under YL. As for martial law - I haven't felt any one of my "rights" being restricted yet. Let me know when that happens, so I can notice.

I guess, you have not heard of the Koh Tao- double- murder- case, have you?!

• Like 1

Excellent memory, the taxi- driver has there.

At least for learning all the "facts" that were handed to him and tell them to the right person at the right time and in the right order...coffee1.gif

In your opinion that is of course. No proof - nah, just a good imagination.

Maybe he's a CIA or Chinese Intelligence plant; or was it Chalerm in one of his disguises? whistling.gif

• Like 1

my idea:

put up full-size mirrors at strategic locations, that will slow them down since they have to check whether they are still good-looking. Actually, it'll slow everybody down. Scrap the idea. Or turn it into a revenue opportunity. wub.png

Beauty is in the eye of the bomber.

At least for learning all the "facts" that were handed to him and tell them to the right person at the right time and in the right order...coffee1.gif

Maybe he's a CIA or Chinese Intelligence plant; or was it Chalerm in one of his disguises? whistling.gif

Yes- in my opinion.

Unless these guys were assembling the bomb in the taxi and bragging about it...tell me, if you could remember such detail about 2 specific customers out of...50, let's say...you had during a day, just by being shown a grainy picture!

I, for sure, could not!

But as we all know: Thai- taxi drivers might not find the shortest way from Silom to Sukhumvit, but they sure as hell have excellent memory!

w00t.gif

Yes- in my opinion.

Unless these guys were assembling the bomb in the taxi and bragging about it...tell me, if you could remember such detail about 2 specific customers out of...50, let's say...you had during a day, just by being shown a grainy picture!

I, for sure, could not!

But as we all know: Thai- taxi drivers might not find the shortest way from Silom to Sukhumvit, but they sure as hell have excellent memory!

w00t.gif

I got into a taxi and said a general area. The guy started taking me to exactly where I wanted to go without waiting for instructions when we got close. He said I'd been in his taxi several weeks before and he remembered me and where I went.

A lot of Taxi and hire car drivers I used in many countries have excellent memories for names, faces, details etc. Maybe it relieves the boredom, maybe just something they get good at.