Anyone ever drive south of Thailand down to Malaysia?

Kenny202

Be warned that some Embassies and Foreign Affairs Departments have issued warnings NOT to travel in Southern Thailand.

If anything happened to you, family, car etc, insurance companies will not want to know you.

Travel insurance is also wiped out if you go into these zones.

In other words, if you want to enter an area of conflict, you become your own insurer.

• Like 1

I used to live in new york city, people were afraid to go there because of the violence, but newspapers and media are deceptive, you only hear about the stuff that makes news, so your head is filled with negatives. I am too old to let fear dictate my life. got a ticket to hat yai. going in march.

• Like 1

Good for you, many people see the news as a source for info and not just to influence fear, so in any case no reason to go into a place blind and ignorant to your surroundings so as not become a jihadist ransom pawn or worse, which is why the OP asked his questions.

I used to live in new york city, people were afraid to go there because of the violence, but newspapers and media are deceptive, you only hear about the stuff that makes news, so your head is filled with negatives. I am too old to let fear dictate my life. got a ticket to hat yai. going in march.

I've been to New York numerous times and loved it.

New York has its share of violence, but I've not read about any police station or army barracks, etc. having been attacked recently. I must have also missed the New York Times reporting that teachers, civil servants and civilians are being killed by insurgents in Manhattan and the other boroughs.

I'm 63 and inclined to let others decide what to read, what to believe, what to fill their heads with and where to travel.

Have fun in Hat Yai.

• Like 2

I drive to Hatyai from Ranong many times a year and also into Malaysia, usually to

Penang, sometimes KL, and pretty much always use the Sadao-Danok border crossing

and have never had any problems with anybody/thing. Driving in the "troubled" provinces

you must be prepared to stop at all roadblocks (many depending on events), be polite

with the men and women manning them, let em search if they deem it necessary and

soon you'll be on your way. As stated previously...it's really not a good idea to follow

or get into a convoy of sorts with military & police vehicles since they are prime targets

for the bad guys. Contrary to a lot of popular belief on this forum the folks in the South

are very friendly, very hospitable and generally very nice people. Just be aware of

your surroundings (situational awareness) and you'll be OK. BTW...I always see a

lotta folks wear yellow shirts there, also red shirts, pink shirts & blue shirts...so a

previous conclusion is wrong. All that said...you could become an innocent victim

of things get ugly...and they get ugly often...but usually in the "troubled" prov's.

BTW again...make sure you take all your vehicles papers, reg, ins etc...just in case.

Hope this helps you OP.

• Like 1

Avoid the three provinces listed above and there is no problem. If you drive to Malaysia you need

- Translation of registration document provided by the transport department.

- License plate using western alphabet (you get the necessary characters from the translation above) (I printed out the number in large font, had it laminated and fastened it over the Thai plate)

- Insurance valid for Malaysia (I have been checked by Malaysian police twice)

• Like 1

I went to Kota Baru (Mal) in January 2010 (because the visa) with my parents and my two sons by my private car. 12 hours from Phuket and was a very exciting experience, because the new places, different culture, friendly army guys who's leave us sleeping for a few hours at a check point and because I didn't know before the departure that there are many problems in the south. We have passed the border from Tak Bai (Naratiwat) and leave the car at the Malaysian border. No problems on the way to go and on the way back.

Sorry about my English language

Edited by 1marco1

I drove my car around down there for a sightseeing road trip. Traveled around Hat Yai, Yala, Pattani. I like Betong the best, good accommodation & good nightlife scene. Beautiful countryside, certainly worth the drive..

Many army checkpoints and military vehicles full of soldiers getting around in the far south, at times i did feel i was in a sort of war zone.

Came across an army foot patrol on one country road, nice array of weapons they had, machine gun, shot gun & M16s. The officer asked me what i was doing there, i said "looking for beautiful women", he smiled & said it was a bit risky for a farang traveling alone, i said it's ok, i've got tinted windows, he smiled again & let me be on my way. I do advise tinted windows for any farang driving down there, that way no one can see your a farang.

The mountain ranges bordering Malaysia are spectacular, i thought what a shame it's not open to tourism, but then maybe that's what keeps it unspoilt.

• Like 1

Operative word is "were" afraid. The murder rate in NYC is now about 14% of what it was in 1990. Two hundred seventy or so murders a year now, mostly drug thugs in the Bronx,is fairly reasonable for a city of 8 million. And I can tell you now, I think more farang get outright murdered or die in "unusual circumstances" per annum in Thailand than in Houston. Houston's population is 5 million. How many farang are there in Thailand on a given day? Two mil? Five? I don't know. But white people hardly ever get murdered in Houston. (I don't agree with Texas gun laws, and I'm a liberal; I'm a Connecticut transplant. I'm only saying that an American city like Houston seems actually safer than Thailand.) But...that won't stop me from retiring in Chiang Mai! As for southern Thailand....well any place there are certain religious groups, right? Malaysia itself should be avoided altogether. I've lived there and had ties there since 1992. I will never ever go back. Even the annoying yammering that passes for English--sort of--is enough to make me yearn for Peshawar, Anbar Province, anywhere! Thailand is 100 times better in every way.

you might not even see a roadblock if you drive round the hat Yai ring road and out to Sadao.

Exactly right. Cross at Sadao, Padang Besar, or Wang Prachan (I recommend this one for scenery) and you'll barely see police or soldiers. Further east it can get dodgy. The Yala-Betong road is supposedly safe in daytime but I admit I'll always a little nervous on it. And east of that, not a good idea at all.

She has a point, there has been bombings etc. in the Yala province for many years now. Must be on your guard especially with the tensions in Iraq and Syria these days.

Just a sample; http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-17571133 there's plenty more if you search..

You don't need to go to Yala, Pattani or Narathiwat; you can enter Malaysia through Satun or Songkhla provinces. I live in Songkhla and frequently cross the border at Sadao or Penang Besar. There is no problem if you use common sense.

Right but did you read the OP before pulling my quote out for no reason? The OP asked if there were any problems down south, he did not specify a route, so I posted the factual info for his perusal to aid him in his plans, from there it's up to him, so what was the problem again? coffee1.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

The old vague disappearing OP trick again ..

I would suspect the OP is just thinking about visiting the consulate in Penang via ( my recommendation would be ) Padang Bezar, and listened to his wife claiming that anywhere past Phattalung city is populated by insurgents, and we ( the locals ) live in constant fear of a beheading while shopping at Big C.

Nothing to worry about there.

Really ? Yala - Betong is a bit sticky ? I don't doubt you, I never heard. Until last years bombing, Betong was the only town never to see a bombing. The only places i really get edgy is the small towns right on the border outside Narathiwat, lots of gold shops, the soldiers on the streets there weren't the usual young kids they were big guys, very alert, carrying small modern automatic weapons - I didnt hang about, seemed a heavy scene.

My home base is Hat Yai, and I work in northern Malaysia.

From Hat Yai, going to either Padang Besar or Dan Nok is as safe as safe can be. Driving in Malaysia is easy, smile at the roadblocks and be waved through.

I will no longer travel through Yala or Narathiwat, nor Pattani, though I know people who do.

There's nothing dangerous south of Phuket, as long as you don't visit the "lower three",

• Like 2

I would suspect the OP is just thinking about visiting the consulate in Penang via ( my recommendation would be ) Padang Bezar, and listened to his wife claiming that anywhere past Phattalung city is populated by insurgents, and we ( the locals ) live in constant fear of a beheading while shopping at Big C.

Really ? Yala - Betong is a bit sticky ? I don't doubt you, I never heard. Until last years bombing, Betong was the only town never to see a bombing. The only places i really get edgy is the small towns right on the border outside Narathiwat, lots of gold shops, the soldiers on the streets there weren't the usual young kids they were big guys, very alert, carrying small modern automatic weapons - I didnt hang about, seemed a heavy scene.

The disappearing OP hasn't had an Internet connection for 3 days. Always amazes me how someone can assume so much in so much detail. Even had a crack about me listening to my wife and her assumptions. My wife has never been there nor has any opinion Sherlock. We simply wanted to go to Penang and thought it would be a nice journey. Enjoy Ur day at Big C

The disappearing OP hasn't had an Internet connection for 3 days. Always amazes me how someone can assume so much in so much detail. Even had a crack about me listening to my wife and her assumptions. My wife has never been there nor has any opinion Sherlock. We simply wanted to go to Penang and thought it would be a nice journey. Enjoy Ur day at Big C

Well then Mr.Vague, you wouldn't be the first person to post and disappear leaving everyone to blow your trip out of all proportions.

You might have mentioned this in your first post you were travelling to Penang. You honestly don't have anything to fear apart from maybe puncture on the Sadao road

Maybe next time - refrain from putting ridiculous statements such as "My wife seems to think it can be dangerous south of Phuket?" in your post - could be a bit misleading .. jeez.

• Like 1

Ridiculous statements? Seems others do have some concerns and positive advice re route. If you've made a fool of urself in public, probably best to leave it that rather than embarrass urself further

Yes, ridiculous statements ..

I don't think i have embarrassed myself, but thanks for the advice, maybe take it yourself ..

Have a good trip, and have a good day.

I go every year to the deep south. Hala-bala. Last year I got all my papers in order and drove into Malaysia (one month). I never had a problem. Am headed back there in a few months. Will cross at Sungai Kolok. I even rented a place on the border last year for a few months. That was a little strange not recommended by me for sure.

Have fun and don't make your self conspicuous. I never once had a problem.

Make sure you get all your paperwork in order. Especially if you plan to stay for a while and drive down into the country site seeing. It took me a while to find out what all I needed.

My plans this year are to stay the entire summer in Malaysia. At least 3 months.

I am a birder and travel around to see and photograph wildlife. Also allot of my birder friends drive from Thailand into Malaysia each year for the birding. Farang and Thai alike.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

I drive and live there in Pattani Yala for a good part of the year.

Be weary of following army as they are usually the intended targets of the roadside bombs and shooting attacks from the roadside and be aware that you will be required to stop at army check points (unless it rains, when the soldiers all hide from the water).

Most locals (bith Buddhist and Muslim) are very friendly, curious, but know that everyone there knows someone that has a brother, father or sister that does not want you, or any other non-Muslim in the area. To this end do not do anything other than buy and leave with anyone you do not know. Never reveal your personal relationships or travel plans or address of residence to anyone for your own personal safety. And don't wear your Buddha or your yellow shirt or pink shirt with pride, it will make you a target, this is not Thailand as you may be used to. It is Malaysia with a slight tinge of Thailand if you have the imagination for it.

Well don't go there at all would be my recommendation, as well as that of many foreign governments. I would be highly surprised at the sight of a westerner in that part of Thailand, which is so dangerous. I'm surprised that the Thais haven't banned all foreigners from that region, like Myanmar continues to do in rebel held areas where fighting occurs, such as parts of Shan State and Kachin State. Basically checkpoints there that spot foreigners will ask them to turn around, which surprisingly the Thai military doesn't do in those three border states, but they should for our own safety.

Anyway, to go down to Malaysia by car doesn't require one to go anywhere near Yala, Pattani or Narathiwat. You can enter Malaysia via Satun or Songkhla provinces (both relatively safe, though Songkhla has occasionally seen some violence) and then proceed to anywhere in Malaysia from there. Even if you want to visit say Kota Bharu on the east coast of Malaysia, it's better and probably faster to enter Malaysia via the west coast, then drive inside Malaysian territory to the east and leave the same way you came. Besides this, driving your own car in a foreign country is somewhat more fun and exhilarating than driving in same old boring Thailand anyway.

I go every year to the deep south. Hala-bala. Last year I got all my papers in order and drove into Malaysia (one month). I never had a problem. Am headed back there in a few months. Will cross at Sungai Kolok. I even rented a place on the border last year for a few months. That was a little strange not recommended by me for sure.

Have fun and don't make your self conspicuous. I never once had a problem.

Make sure you get all your paperwork in order. Especially if you plan to stay for a while and drive down into the country site seeing. It took me a while to find out what all I needed.

My plans this year are to stay the entire summer in Malaysia. At least 3 months.

I am a birder and travel around to see and photograph wildlife. Also allot of my birder friends drive from Thailand into Malaysia each year for the birding. Farang and Thai alike.

Driving to Malaysia is fantastic but why the hell would you cross at Sungai Kolok? You are supposed to cross in Satun or Songkhla. The three southernmost border provinces are dangerous and it amazes me that anyone would be so reckless to head into that region, besides, that region [the three southernmost border provinces] is suspicious of outsiders and they don't like you anyway. Next time do the responsible thing and cross at Padang Besar, Bukit Kayu Hitam (Sadao) or one of the Satun crossings.

Although Hat Yai has been the scene of sporadic violence, it's generally considered to be OK and you should be fine to go. It's the 3 provinces that lie to the east of Hat Yai that you should avoid.