(Wife) Need to buy a gun (registered)

marcfarang

my wife needs a gun to protect her self

you tourists have no idea , what is going on in here ......

If your wife needs a gun for protection then you know it is time to move somewhere else in Thailand or back in your home country.

And buying a gun is easy, it is really expensive, we pains 90,000 for a Sig Sauer P2000SK, compact concealed .40, my wife also has her concealed carry permit and she can have it on her person at anytime, she never does unless we are on a long road trip, it will work on mean dogs or snakes, any kind of threat.

Good luck bro.

• Like 1

You can't use that gun if it's registered to your wife. It is for one person only. You would have to go through the process yourself. So don't be caught shooting it, especially at a criminal if you don't have the license. Yes a farang can get a license.

Only if he's a permanent resident of citizen of Thailand can a farang get the license. Maybe if a hefty six-figure bribe changed hands an Amphur many make an exception.

I purchased a gun a few years ago - the procedure which UKChatterbox described (#27) is correct. You do not need to notify the police. I have approval to carry the weapon but would not carry it in town. I understand things have become more difficult in recent years and permits are not so readily granted nowadays. If you carry the gun with you it should not be loaded.

• Like 1

The police offer was, I feel confident, an under the table deal. Don't buy from him. Every time he needs cash he will be back to see you, as the gun will be illegal, you will have to pay up.

I'm not sure about the Internet shop deal but its probably under the table too. The lower price would be because it's an old, much used gun and possibly used in previous crimes.

The correct procedure is to obtain the permit first and then buy a new gun from a dealer or a secondhand gun from a registered owner or dealer. The new gun is preferable every time.

To obtain a permit your wife must satisfy the head of the local government office I can't recall the exact title) that a need exists. For example ... a gold shop owner or someone that for some professional reason needs to have large sums of cash with them after the banks have closed, say perhaps a car dealer.

I'm sure that you understand that a "spot of oiling the wheels" is still necessary. No amount of extra oiling will get you a permit if your need can't be proven. It's going to cost you 1 to 200,000 ฿ to get the legal gun into your hand.

Your stated need for a gun is not sufficient in my mind and I don't think it will work. Having a permit for a gun does not entitle you to shoot in a public place. Using a gun as a threatening (self defence) device is risky. If you point the thing at a bad guy you have to be prepared to use it ... Or he could simply take it off you.

Save your cash and freedom by giving up the idea, it's a bad one.

Some BS in your post.

Need for a gun can be varied. I want to target shoot, I want to collect guns, I want to protect my self from criminal-burglar / home-invader etc etc.

Unless your wife has a criminal record you're good to go. No need for bribes but slow if without them.

Some beautiful areas of Thailand tend to have lawless low-lives in them and if you are a farang you are an instant mark for crime if you aren't careful. You city-types have no idea.

I want to get a gun here too, but I cannot find any regulations about where and when you are allowed to use it.

My primary reason is just for target shooting, rats, vermin etc. on our piece of land. Unless however I can find out if it is legal to use on your own property I will probably not bother.

We have a decent size chunk of land, pretty rural, about 20 rai. Does anyone know what the laws are for shooting on your own property? I can't seem to find anything about it here. I know you used to be able to shoot on private land in the UK providing it was on farmland or similar and not within 50 yards of a public road.

Cheers

Unlikely due to the country is under military rule withMarshall Law in place. They have been conviscating firearms and at this time to purchase a hand gun is very difficult unless you have contacts with the police or military ranked personnal.

• Like 1

I really do not believe you are asking this, you must be crazy. If you or your wife pulls a gun on any of them they will wait for the right time and the 2 of you are goners.

First thing I would do is pack my bag from your area.

Go to the police station and ask is it possible and what she needs to do. That police guy can get one for you under the counter.

Or ask a lawyer on ThaiVisa. You will just get a load of crap asking the guys on ThaiVisa.

• Like 1

Please and kindly , has anyone bought a gun in thailand ?

no questions please , just response if you have the experience

thanks a lot

appreciated

Sometimes it is hard to get a straight answer here without everyone jumping all over you. Good luck.

• Like 2

It is as easy as 1,2,3 to solve this problem:

(1) Open suitcase

(2) Fill suitcase

(3) Call taxi

Been there, done that, and it worked very well indeed.

I even learned to never create another situation in my life where this conversation would be had.

Move on, and never look back.

Yep you only get a sore neck anyway.

Trust me if you can´t afford to leave, you can´t afford a gun and putting it in the hands of a Thai women is insanity at it´s finest. It is only good inside your house anyway, there are other means of dealing with intruders inside your house.

You need a special permit to carry outside the house which, unless you are going to the gun club, is all but impossible to get.

• Like 1

I will answer Yes I have a number of guns and I do for a number of reasons. But none of them are for my wife nor for any Thai, gang, etc..ask yourself does your wife have the fortitude to use one and do you? What are you going to do everyone in your soi, owning a gun is great but in your situation the solution is now having one. The solution is MOVE! I can see you will not like the answer but get a grip on reality!

• Like 1

Why not just buy BB gun? Seriously, full metal body and good quality look almost the same as real one, it is legal and hurt like hell when fired on someone for defense.

That's not a bad option. You need the parts changed out to accept metal bbs. The rubber mag-seals can perish and leak out air over time.

Not a bad option and a lot more affordable.

I left mine with a friend and some thai low-life came and pinched it!

The police offer was, I feel confident, an under the table deal. Don't buy from him. Every time he needs cash he will be back to see you, as the gun will be illegal, you will have to pay up.

I'm not sure about the Internet shop deal but its probably under the table too. The lower price would be because it's an old, much used gun and possibly used in previous crimes.

The correct procedure is to obtain the permit first and then buy a new gun from a dealer or a secondhand gun from a registered owner or dealer. The new gun is preferable every time.

To obtain a permit your wife must satisfy the head of the local government office I can't recall the exact title) that a need exists. For example ... a gold shop owner or someone that for some professional reason needs to have large sums of cash with them after the banks have closed, say perhaps a car dealer.

I'm sure that you understand that a "spot of oiling the wheels" is still necessary. No amount of extra oiling will get you a permit if your need can't be proven. It's going to cost you 1 to 200,000 ฿ to get the legal gun into your hand.

Your stated need for a gun is not sufficient in my mind and I don't think it will work. Having a permit for a gun does not entitle you to shoot in a public place. Using a gun as a threatening (self defence) device is risky. If you point the thing at a bad guy you have to be prepared to use it ... Or he could simply take it off you.

Some BS in your post.

Need for a gun can be varied. I want to target shoot, I want to collect guns, I want to protect my self from criminal-burglar / home-invader etc etc.

Unless your wife has a criminal record you're good to go. No need for bribes but slow if without them.

Some beautiful areas of Thailand tend to have lawless low-lives in them and if you are a farang you are an instant mark for crime if you aren't careful. You city-types have no idea.

No bullshit intended. A permit to collect guns, target shoot or protect your home does not permit carrying the gun in public as a concealed weapon for personal protection.

I hope that clears things up for you.

• Like 2

if you're going to have to pay to own a gun here legally, and it's a few 100,000 B's, it would be better to just move away to a safer area.......guns are for killing in self defense, otherwise you'd end up the victim........makes more sense to move to a better/safer area.. I was former gun owner in the US, over 40 guns.......a bit different here in another country!

• Like 1

TOO MANY SERIAL KILLERS IN YOUR AREA???!!!

Report them to the Police!!!

This guy wants to buy a gun with the intention of shooting someone.

Get out and go back to where you came from!!!

Or you might have paranoid schizophrenia

Edited by frank0424

Some BS in your post.

No bullshit intended. A permit to collect guns, target shoot or protect your home does not permit carrying the gun in public as a concealed weapon for personal protection.

I hope that clears things up for you.

This is Thailand, not New York State or New Jersey. The permit for transport is what Thais use to carry it around in their trucks. If going out shopping you DON'T leave the gun in the truck in case it's stolen. This is how you carry the weapon. For the range yes that too of course. Magazine in pocket and unloaded firearm concealed in bag, under jacket etc. It doesn't take long to stick a magazine in if things get hairy. :)

That should clarify things for you too!

• Like 1

I can only speak from personal experience, my wife has a Shotgun ( 5 shot pump action ) she obtained a License from our local Amphur Office without any problems cost if i remember correctly was 125 Baht

We have 2 Rai fully walled land, we were advised to purchase a gun by a long time policeman friend who said that certain people were coming across the border to do their nasties and then disappear.

Maybe times have changed a bit regarding regulations so good luck.

• Like 1