Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

PLEASE ALL who don't know what a Swiss army knife is, google it and you WILL KNOW that the knife in the video WASN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Please look at the video again

the knife ISN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Sorry for the uppercase, but I can see from what most people respond to the OP and believe it's a tool knife, I said it before but people still post comments on the wrong type of knife.

Don't be critical of the RTP, they have their full rights to confiscate and fine the person having the SWITCH BLADE knife, at least 4 inches long.

IT IS NOT a Swiss army knife.

And YOU evidently don't know what a switchblade is either. Sorry, but your childish oversize typeface doesn't make it a switchblade. Have you ever even SEEN a switchblade knife??

And some people don't stop call it a swiss army knife before some childish person comments on it with uppercase and upsized bolded letters.

If you believe that the distinction between a switchblade and a folded knife, has crept in to the swedish language, you are arrogant and quite ignorant.

Evidently the point wasn't if it was a folded knife or a switchblade, which still now, the distinction eludes me, it wasn't a swiss army knife, got it ?

The difference is like between a bee bee gun and a .45.

English isn't my native language and I bet a lot more people than me here aren't experts in the English language so you point comes out as arrogant and completely and utterly irrelevant.

My first post that it wasn't a swiss army knife (which the whole god damn world knows what it looks like and what functions it could have) was completely ignored, but my second with bold and uppercase letters apparently wasn't, so do you think some Thai bashers feel a little bit awkward now?

nah they are trolls that didn't even feel awkward when they were banned from the World of Warcraft forums

• Like 1

That's why Thais only eat with a fork and spoon don't you know they are taught from a young age that knives are dangerous LOL

Not only Thai eat with only fork and spoon. All Asian countries ppl eat only with fork, spoon and chopstick. Pls check your facts before making incorrect comments

Yes; and chopsticks can be bloody dangerous, take someone’s eye out with them if you are not careful. Definitely should be banned in cars. Especially eating (with a nod to a certain South American dignitary) flied lice when driving.

PLEASE ALL who don't know what a Swiss army knife is, google it and you WILL KNOW that the knife in the video WASN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Sorry for the uppercase, but I can see from what most people respond to the OP and believe it's a tool knife, I said it before but people still post comments on the wrong type of knife.

Don't be critical of the RTP, they have their full rights to confiscate and fine the person having the SWITCH BLADE knife, at least 4 inches long.

And YOU evidently don't know what a switchblade is either. Sorry, but your childish oversize typeface doesn't make it a switchblade. Have you ever even SEEN a switchblade knife??

And some people don't stop call it a swiss army knife before some childish person comments on it with uppercase and upsized bolded letters.

If you believe that the distinction between a switchblade and a folded knife, has crept in to the swedish language, you are arrogant and quite ignorant.

Evidently the point wasn't if it was a folded knife or a switchblade, which still now, the distinction eludes me, it wasn't a swiss army knife, got it ?

English isn't my native language and I bet a lot more people than me here aren't experts in the English language so you point comes out as arrogant and completely and utterly irrelevant.

My first post that it wasn't a swiss army knife (which the whole god damn world knows what it looks like and what functions it could have) was completely ignored, but my second with bold and uppercase letters apparently wasn't, so do you think some Thai bashers feel a little bit awkward now?

'Have no idea what you're trying to say. But I suspect the female's running commentary had more to do with the outcome of this story than the type of knife... ('Don't know how the cops could've known that prior to the stop though - lol)

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

Maybe they expect a toolkit to be in the boot (trunk). biggrin.png

Pickup trucks do not have trunks.

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

Thought they were in a car when the got pulled over?

Well boys, that's why the item I posted is named as Fox Citadel Deimos Butch Vallotton Black Micarta Dual Action Scale Release Switchblade Knife.( http://autoknife.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1133 ) whistling.gif

I have enough faith in my fellow human beings to trust that in 15 or so pages someone else has pointed out that

a) this isn't a picture of a switchblade

cool.png nor is what is in the car, a switchblade

and come to the same conclusion as I, that you have no idea what you're talking about!

A switchblade is by definition a knife with a blade hidden in the handle with a set spring so that it "switches", spring-loaded, open when (usually) a button is pushed. A stiletto is a type of switchblade where the spring-loaded blade comes straight out of the end of the handle.

What you've pictured is a one-handed folding knife, which is manually opened. Some knife makers, Kershaw being a popular one, add a spring to assist the opening, which is getting closer to a full-on switchblade, most don't however and I'll wager the pictured one doesn't so is , but is still a far cry from one.

However that was not the point for posting it at all - it just bared some resemblance in my mind to the item seen on video - much more than the swiss army knife - and I happened to do a fast google for what a switchblade could look like, but apparently you think you know your knives better, so I'll just leave commenting about it all together.

I'll then amend my comment:

I was not familiar with this (latest?) development in assisted-opening knives. The closest to this I've seen is a Kershaw design where a small push of a fin on the spine of the handle gets the blade going and then a spring assisting the opening takes over. I thought that was pushing the limit but this design is a step further: pushing on the handle with the heal of the thumb releases some spring energy in the blade that gets the blade moving out until the spring takes over and flips it open. An ingenious design.

But technically it's still not a switchblade, as the blade is not being held under spring tension to be released in the same way as the trigger on a gun. However, bending the blade a bit to give it the initial push is about as close to that as you can come, and functionally the difference between it and a true (classical?) switchblade is insignificant.

But there's no indication at all this is the kind of knife in the car, and this kind of "switchblade flick" design is far from common, so in the same way your comparison of the knife you pictured to a switchblade is functionally if not technically correct, you're very likely wrong about one of these being what was in the car, so your point is still iffy if not moot.

And since all kinds of dangerous knives were being sold on Sukhimvit last time I walked it, which admittedly was a while ago, it seems odd to make an issue of it when it's in someone's car.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

Not sure about the other TV members but this one will certainly get a good night sleep as our RTPBIB are maintaining eternal vigilance for my family, home & gecko. Besure to keep yourselves neat and trim; long fingernails could be next.

You reminded me of an extinct law in Singapore. Some years ago it was not permissible for males to have long hair.

You could always tell which students were returning home from overseas studies, as they'd have a real crew cut before departure. It was either that or have the police do it on arrival in Singapore!

Let's not give the b.i.b. here any ideas.

5555 I remember that. The airlines would not let me board the plane to singapore because my hair was too long. I had to go get a haircut before i could fly there.

This is beyond ridiculous; it really is time to look for a new destination.

back to the us where you can carry guns?

flick knives are illegal in the uk as are guns.

Any spring assisted blade like a switch blade or stilleto is illegal in my home state even though open carry of a hunting knife or gun is legal.

Thought they were in a car when the got pulled over?

The article says car but if you watch the video the height of the vehicle makes it obvious that it is either a pickup truck or a SUV.

Good thing I never got stopped and searched on my many CBR trips around the north and north east of Thailand, or they might have found the Kershaw combat boot knife, and the push button lock blade, both with 4" blades, both razor sharp, that I carried on me at all times.

attachicon.gifKershaw 4351 Military Knife.jpg

why would you want to Carry such thing, unless you have intentions of using it,

I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR, always traveling alone. Sometimes I would get off the main roads and go to some of the smaller cities and villages. That is not always the safest thing to do for a foreigner at times. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, and a 20 year Marine, so I definitely know how to take care of myself, but to my thinking, it never hurts to have a little "back up" should it be needed. I never had any intentions of using either knife, or even putting myself in a situation where it might be necessary, but this is Thailand, and sometimes things happen that make no sense, so it's best to be prepared, just in case. Always walk away if at all possible. If not, take down as many as I could, while I could.

. I have a black belt in ludo and a brown in chess it puts the fear into them.

not if they have a purple belt in tiddlywinks matey....then your'e done for!!

'Have no idea what you're trying to say. But I suspect the female's running commentary had more to do with the outcome of this story than the type of knife... ('Don't know how the cops could've known that prior to the stop though - lol)

Say?

****how the cops could've known that prior to the stop though - lol****

1. Marshall law, don't need plausible cause to search?

2. Police checkpoint, refer to no:1?

Say?

1. That guy Marshall Law again... (It's "Martial" law, and the checkpoints you're referring to pre-existed the coup... As far as that goes, you could've been stopped then, and you can be now. No difference.)

2. I've passed those checkpoints on the way to the airport countless times, and neither ever been nor actually ever even seen anyone stopped; half the time there's not even a cop anywhere in sight. But OK, I understand this time there was/were. Five (!) in fact. What an utterly extraordinary coincidence that on this particular occasion the someone actually pulled over just happened to be carrying a utility knife in their vehicle! I never even realized these were vehicle searches for "weapons" - I always thought they were mainly checking documents.

'Sorry. Just not impressed with the whole lame stop&search story. And if the country happens to suffer yet more adverse publicity over the incident, it will be just as well deserved as all the rest.

• Like 1

Say?

1. That guy Marshall Law again... (It's "Martial" law, and the checkpoints you're referring to pre-existed the coup... As far as that goes, you could've been stopped then, and you can be now. No difference.)

2. I've passed those checkpoints on the way to the airport countless times, and neither ever been nor actually ever even seen anyone stopped; half the time there's not even a cop anywhere in sight. But OK, I understand this time there was/were. Five (!) in fact. What an utterly extraordinary coincidence that on this particular occasion the someone actually pulled over just happened to be carrying a utility knife in their vehicle! I never even realized these were vehicle searches for "weapons" - I always thought they were mainly checking documents.

'Sorry. Just not impressed with the whole lame stop&search story. And if the country happens to suffer yet more adverse publicity over the incident, it will be just as well deserved as all the rest.

Sloppy of me, I don't blame Marshall, so it is, "martial" and not a guy. smile.png I didn't say the checkpoints didn't exist before, but I rarely saw any coppers hanging around them.

Been driving BKK - Phuket for 9 years now on odd occasions, before Marshall turned on the martial laws, never been stopped and searched, the last year with M's M law, stopped and been thoroughly searched twice so far, once in Phang Nga and another time in Prachuap Khiri khan.

Been stopped in south (Trat, Trang, Songkla etc) at every military checkpoint they have but never searched, this was before the coup.

Edited by KamalaRider

This is very funny...and very sad, because probably happens just because was a farang involved. Just last weekend I join a group of villagers in a hiking adventure countryside, and the first thing I noticed was a shotgun and 3 big machetes on one the trucks seats.

It is not a switchblade which British call a flick knife. It is not a Swiss Army Knife. It might have a locked blade when fully open and it might have a manual not spring loaded rapid opening mechanism. It looks like a kind of hunting/skinning knife.

Looks more like a switchblade than a leatherman, definately not swiss army knife-toolset.

large_1133_FoxCitadelDeimos_ButchVallott

I have enough faith in my fellow human beings to trust that in 15 or so pages someone else has pointed out that

a) this isn't a picture of a switchblade

cool.png nor is what is in the car, a switchblade

and come to the same conclusion as I, that you have no idea what you're talking about!

A switchblade is by definition a knife with a blade hidden in the handle with a set spring so that it "switches", spring-loaded, open when (usually) a button is pushed. A stiletto is a type of switchblade where the spring-loaded blade comes straight out of the end of the handle.

What you've pictured is a one-handed folding knife, which is manually opened. Some knife makers, Kershaw being a popular one, add a spring to assist the opening, which is getting closer to a full-on switchblade, most don't however and I'll wager the pictured one doesn't so is , but is still a far cry from one.

It's about time people realised there is one law for Thais and one law for Farang, and it's as simple as that.

No matter the logic, implied logic or even lost logic; there is a huge difference between being Thai and merely a non-leveraged farang, despite either your amount of years lived here or your wealth. That is Thainess. Farang are second best - ALWAYS!

Sorry, you are wrong.

I has nothing to do with being Thai or farang. When I was a university lecturer in a rural university for years, I was never once fined in the weekly stoppings. Farmers, students were ALL fined. It has to do with how much influence one has. Granted, most farang tourists or sexpat have no influence but neither do Burmese Loatian etc

Did you listen to the vdo?

Do you know what Thainess is? Thainess or "kwam pen Thai" is the propagation of Thai's attributes as well as art, culture and traditions.

Where do you live as a matter of interest? I predict a tourist destination.

Anyway the woman was Thai and after saying what she did, she was lucky not to have drugs planted as happens sometimes. The cop wanted money - simple - and he was not going to lose face by finding nothing to get it.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

Sounds like they were hoping for drugs but were pissed when there were none. Have to find something.

Many motorists carry a knife to cut jammed seatbelts in an accident.

Maybe than she should carry a folding knife like this

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Belt_cutter_2009_G1.jpg

After tourists were found knifing bar girls too pieces the Thai cops tightened up on tourists carrying dangerous knifes which helps make everything safe for all of us, I hope they are more knife checks coz knives is dangerous

I beg your pardon compare to what thai ppl carry on weapons, knives, machetes and guns, are these few knives what tourists carry just a pee drop in the ocean.

If the police take this from the thai ppl away, then I can agree with you.wink.png

After tourists were found knifing bar girls too pieces the Thai cops tightened up on tourists carrying dangerous knifes which helps make everything safe for all of us, I hope they are more knife checks coz knives is dangerous

"After tourists were found knifing bar girls too pieces"

Say whaaaat ? I know of exactly one who at this point stands accused. There've been lots of other such incidents, have there?

<sigh> Just what we need. Cops now stopping tourists on Sukhumvit on the pretext of knife searches, complete with plants & extortion now on those.

Yeah - great idea. bah.gif

Geez...I have been carrying a big Swiss Army Knife (the fat bugger) around with me in a belt pouch

for years in LOS...never had a problem. Even loaned it to a coper once so he could open a bottle

of Fanta in Hatyai. By the logic in the video I reckon they got the fine due to the womans

voice...but maybe I'm wrong...who knows. And by another form of logic I guess the "authorities"

will ban hot noodles on flights too. The BS is gettin about knee deep in this place....

I had carried this Böker knife in Germany is still legal.

http://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeker/taktische-einsatzmesser/110177.html

Now I carry for years a multitool from Victorinox this is the strongest multitool in this world, but buy the leatherpouch the nylon is just rubbish.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-SwissTool-Pouch/dp/B00GY23J6K

Always thought in the UK it is illegal to carry a knife no matter what it's for?

No. The laws are strict though. Anything with a blade over 3 inch (total length of blade not just the sharp bit) would be a problem and you would have to show a very good reason, for having it. Blades that lock. fixed blades, assisted opening and automatic opening blades are not allowed.

Even if your knife is a slip joint and is lhttp://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeker/taktische-einsatzmesser/110177.htmless than 3 inch you might still be asked to explain why you are carrying it in a public place. There is no actual right to carry one.

If you have a pocket knife, that complies with the rules you would still be in trouble if someone complains you used it threateningly, or scared them with it in some way. Taking it out and opening it in public could cause big problems unless you have a very good reason.

How times change. As young boys we all had pocket knives. Throwing knives at fence posts, telegraph poles, playing "stretch" and "chicken". Not big, and certainly not the tactical or fighting knives you see about today. I can remember one, maybe two instances of people I knew being stabbed. Now they effectively ban knives and have draconian punishments even for just having one in your pockets. And I read about more stabbings than before!

In germany is still allowed to carry a springknive like the following from Böker which open sidewards max. Blade lenghts 8,5 cm and only 1 sharp edge or a fixblade knife like a bowie max. blade lenght 12 cm is legal.

http://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeker/taktische-einsatzmesser/110177.htmlhttp://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeker/taktische-einsatzmesser/110177.html

At home I can have for example a bihander sword, or a katana as long I'm 18 years old it's legal.

Butterflies and Handknives are in general illegal.

This is very funny...and very sad, because probably happens just because was a farang involved. Just last weekend I join a group of villagers in a hiking adventure countryside, and the first thing I noticed was a shotgun and 3 big machetes on one the trucks seats.

Om other words they weren't concealed and were for use in wilderness