Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

Apparently it was a switchblade not a Swiss Army knife. But cops setting up check points to stop and search cars with farangs in them is just an extension of the Sukhumvit piss test scam.

Funny that the Pol Lt said it would have been OK for the woman to carry an offensive weapon in public, if she had been alone, meaning she should remove it from the car every time a passenger gets in. Either it's illegal or it's not.

Was she going to take the switch blade back to Holland with her? Are they legal there?

Edited by Dogmatix

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a little reality check. First, that knife is most likely not 15 cm, as another poster claimed. It looks to be a common knife that is made these days, which tend to be between 7 - 10 cm. This unit appears a little longer b/c the sheath is designed to have the opening for cutting straps. In order to design this, they usually have to make the sheath a little longer to give it structural support. This one may be a little longer than the standard, but you cannot make a valid assertion based on this video.

Further, DAMN STRAIGHT people need to defend themselves here these days. I recently had a Thai kid flash a gun at me to threaten me and my wife. The cop who we called to the scene refused to do anything, and it took over 30 minutes to even get the damn police captain to take our report. In the end, not a damn thing done. I didn't need to pull either of my knives to deal with this little punk, but I have a black belt in traditional budo and regularly trained with military fellas. (I actually just stared the little fool down, and he lost his nerve.) So yeah, damn straight people need to defend themselves at all times. Not just from the Thai people, but from the police as well.