new gas cooker with large orange flame

advancebooking

We just replaced an old regulator on our large gas bottle as there was a gas smell in the kitchen. We also decided to get a new cook top.

The handyman who purchased me the new regulator got an old style one that does not have a cut off button. Its a low pressure regulator but does not have that small button which one should press each time when turning the gas bottle on each time. First question is... should I go to homepro myself and get a better regulator with that button?? Or is it ok to have a regulator without one?

The guy hooked up the new cooker and we tested the burners. The right hand burner has a normal blue flame but the left one has a huge orange flame when its turned on to maximum setting. PHoto below. Is this normal. I thought the gas flames should only be blue....

Its duly noted that both of the round steel things on the cooker (that dispense the flame) are the same size (is it called an element?)post-165105-0-13271300-1423226237_thumb..

thanks

Can you find a photo, or provide the make/model? Often as said there will be a solid metal round piece covering the center portion with just a few places for gas flow out around it. Impossible to see what you have but it does not appear right and a small piece like that could have been lost if never used before.

Assuming that all the burner components are present and seated correctly.

Behind each gas tap at the front of the unit there is usually 2 butterfly shaped pieces of metal that control the air/gas mixture to each inner and outer burner. If one of these has the air completely cut off then the flame would be as shown due to lack of complete combustion. Rotating these butterflies allows more air in and makes the flame fiercer (not bigger) and bluer.

• 2 weeks later...