Huahin to Myeamar for visa run

Nickhick

I went with a friend of mine(first time) to kanchanaburi to get a in out on the visa I already had 2 x2 months nice drive but got there and had to pay 910 baht each to cross over in a car with nothing to do but be there the driver took our passports to get a stamp not a visa stamp but just a stamp and back again is that normal.....as I say first time.Nick,thank you in advance

That's quite a long way from Hua Hin. There's a border crossing just South of Prachuebkirikhan the journey from Hua Hin would take slightly less than two hours.
This border is being upgraded as a crossing point into Burma. Previously this was not possible. A new immigration office is being built there and facilities improved. Sooner or later you should be able to do your visa runs there.

• Like 1

As far as i know this border crossing is not for so called falang as yet only Thai , may be TV could give more proper info for us thank you .

we went there alright ,we were the only two forangs rest I think Myrimar....we have multiple visa entry's but I was wondering why they charged us 910 baht each,is that normal....Nick

That's quite a long way from Hua Hin. There's a border crossing just South of Prachuebkirikhan the journey from Hua Hin would take slightly less than two hours.

This border is being upgraded as a crossing point into Burma. Previously this was not possible. A new immigration office is being built there and facilities improved. Sooner or later you should be able to do your visa runs there.

That's right, I heard it will take a few more months but will happen this year, according to a recent news report. The road on the other side, or probably more of a track, is slated for upgrading but in any case takes you to Myeik, a nice southern coastal city. From there, buses, taxis, boats and the occasional flights go to Kawthoung and up to Dawei, Moulmein and Yangon.

As far as i know this border crossing is not for so called falang as yet only Thai , may be TV could give more proper info for us thank you .

we went there alright ,we were the only two forangs rest I think Myrimar....we have multiple visa entry's but I was wondering why they charged us 910 baht each,is that normal....Nick

Which crossing are you talking about? If Phu Nam Ron, that crossing has become fairly popular with foreign travellers, but because most travellers are more interested in reaching the main Myanmar tourist circuit more quickly, far more travellers tend to cross at Mae Sot/Myawady instead, as that crossing is only 125km from Hpa-an, which in turn is less than 2 hours from the Golden Rock and Yangon is only another 2.5 hours or so beyond that. Whereas from Phu Nam Ron it's 140km to Dawei, which reportedly takes around 5 hours across a winding and mountainous road, from where it's quite a long way up to Moulmein and Yangon.

I believe the 910 Baht fee is the service fee for all the Myanmar one day stamps and transport between the two border posts.

Oh and one more interesting question: although there is very, very little traffic at this border post and probably no Myanmar vehicles are permitted to come into Thailand here, I was wondering where does the traffic switch-over take place? Since Thailand drives on the left and Myanmar on the right, how do they switch? Do you drive on the left in no man's land and then suddenly switch to the right at Myanmar immigration, or is it the other way round?

Since Thailand is the more dominant country, I think Thailand's road rules should have precedence over those of Myanmar inside no man's land and the traffic switch-over should take place on the Myanmar side, but that's just my opinion and may in fact not be the case. Can anyone who's been there please elaborate?

Yes we got in a car they take your passport you drive on rough terrain you go by soldiers in a hut surrounded by sand bags and as soon as you go by them you switch sides is the road,all rough no road realy did not see any cars go through.Then drive back across,it was something out of a Rambo movie,,Nick

Which crossing are you talking about? If Phu Nam Ron, that crossing has become fairly popular with foreign travellers, but because most travellers are more interested in reaching the main Myanmar tourist circuit more quickly, far more travellers tend to cross at Mae Sot/Myawady instead, as that crossing is only 125km from Hpa-an, which in turn is less than 2 hours from the Golden Rock and Yangon is only another 2.5 hours or so beyond that. Whereas from Phu Nam Ron it's 140km to Dawei, which reportedly takes around 5 hours across a winding and mountainous road, from where it's quite a long way up to Moulmein and Yangon.

I believe the 910 Baht fee is the service fee for all the Myanmar one day stamps and transport between the two border posts.

Oh and one more interesting question: although there is very, very little traffic at this border post and probably no Myanmar vehicles are permitted to come into Thailand here, I was wondering where does the traffic switch-over take place? Since Thailand drives on the left and Myanmar on the right, how do they switch? Do you drive on the left in no man's land and then suddenly switch to the right at Myanmar immigration, or is it the other way round?

Since Thailand is the more dominant country, I think Thailand's road rules should have precedence over those of Myanmar inside no man's land and the traffic switch-over should take place on the Myanmar side, but that's just my opinion and may in fact not be the case. Can anyone who's been there please elaborate?

Is it possible to park the car near the crossing at Kanchanaburi and walk over? I would be taking a rental car which can't be taken outside Thailand.

.......when you get yo the border you park your car anywhere you want go to custom leave Thailand pay 910 BHT Get I car give the driver your passport.drive into Myrimar wait with the car he comes back with your stamped passport and back to Thai customs......Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Pue Nam Ron , everything still as above I was pleased not very far from Tha-Yang Phetburi , all the same as above had a chat with the Man there he, is Dutch not German nice chap .

hey Nick, the reason why they are charging 910 baht now is that earlier last year you could go there without a visa and they were supposed to be charging 500 baht, yet they were charging 700 baht, pocketing 200 baht and giving the 500 to the Myanmar side

now, a few months back they said "no more kanchanaburi border runs" and that you needed a Myanmar Visa absolutely to cross..

now you had to get to Bangkok, pay something like 750 baht for a visa you could get in 3 days.. or 1300 for a same day visa.. wait in line forever to get this sorted and then come back (unless you lived in BKK)

for me, traveling to BKK was 2 minivans from Cha-am, 320 baht round trip.. some MRT train fees maybe 100 baht total, pay 750 baht.. waited 3 days in bangkok at my friends place and picked it up.

wasted time and paid 1170 baht or so just for the process and spent about 2 hours at the embassy

when I got to the Myanmar border, they didn't see my Myanmar visa and to my surprise told me "you come here before right? now 900 baht"

I told them "I have a visa"

then I had to pay some old lady 200 baht for the 5 minutes drive to Myanmar and do stuff myself and it took way more time than the Myanmar dealing with them myself

total spent, 1370 baht for visa and wasted a LOT of time

the next time, I went without a Myanmar visa, paid the 910 baht.. they put me in a car, drove. 2 minutes inside and drove back and that's it.