Thailand's OBEC rejects condom vending machines in schools

webfact

Thailand is so hypocritical it defends 'moral values' yet we have prostitutes everywhere, it 'protects kids morals' yet does nothing to protect young girls and unwanted pregnancies and it gushes about 'tradition' and 'Thainess' and allows continual sexual exploitation pretending it 'doesn't exist'

condom machines is the lesser of the two evils as there is NO sex education, NO sense of self-responsibility taught to kids and certainly NO legal protections AFTER they get pregnant to ensure the boys are held accountable (financially mostly)

pregnancy is one thing, but HIV is the more important one....

I feel OBEC's decision to be crazy.

Here comes Valentine's day again as it does every year and there will be kissing, canoodling and sex taking place amongst students. Many may be too shy to ask at the local 7/11 or similar store for condoms and will go ahead having unprotected sex.

Yes, many will have unprotected sex no matter what, but the point being, they could have had the option of putting 20 Baht in a machine and getting protection. Especially if the machines were in the boys and girls toilets.

The same applies for the rest of the year.

Very short sighted of OBEC in this day and age to refuse outright to install condom vending machines. STD's, AIDS and unwanted pregnancies could be avoided. If only 10% of students used these machines it could make a huge difference.

So, it is the students that have having sex, but since Khun Kamoi thinks that having sex in "inappropriate," we will just have more out of wedlock kids and ruin more young lives. I think he needs to be invited to an attitude adjustment meeting.

Here comes Valentine's day again as it does every year and there will be kissing, canoodling and sex taking place amongst students. Many may be too shy to ask at the local 7/11 or similar store for condoms and will go ahead having unprotected sex.

Yes, many will have unprotected sex no matter what, but the point being, they could have had the option of putting 20 Baht in a machine and getting protection. Especially if the machines were in the boys and girls toilets.

Very short sighted of OBEC in this day and age to refuse outright to install condom vending machines. STD's, AIDS and unwanted pregnancies could be avoided. If only 10% of students used these machines it could make a huge difference.

So, it is the students that have having sex, but since Khun Kamoi thinks that having sex in "inappropriate," we will just have more out of wedlock kids and ruin more young lives. I think he needs to be invited to an attitude adjustment meeting.

I'm surprised his brain supplies enough power to make his lips move in any way, as it is fairly obvious that his ears and eyes don't work.

• Like 1

premature sex . . . is inappropriate, he added.

But not as inappopriate as burying your head in the sand and refusing to take a sensible and practical step to reduce the toll of unwanted teen pregnancies, not to mention HIV-AIDS and a raft of venereal diseases which are becoming increasingly hard to treat and cure.

Not just Catholic's who foist their idiot dogma on others.

Amen brother you should see how the Catholic church controls Mexico and its government and the rest of Latin America for that matter. Then look at the province of Quebec, Canada they thumb their nose at the church and do as they damn well please. It all comes down to education. No sense talking to raging hormones (I was young once to) in fact I parked behind a Catholic church one night with my then wife for a short dalliance.

No condom machines in schools: Kamol

Supinda na Mahachai

Pungchumpoo Prasert

The Nation

Other ways to fight hiv, students don't think much about sex: commission chief

BANGKOK: -- KAMOL RODKLAI, head of the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec), said yesterday that he would not allow the installation of condom machines at secondary schools.

"I disagree and will not allow condom-dispensing machines in schools. I want the campaign to be [conducted] in another way. The students also don't really think much about [sex], so there is no need to install the devices in schools," he said.

Making condoms available in schools is part of the Public Health Ministry's plans to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids, which also includes providing information to the public.

Kamol said he had not received any request yet to install condom machines, but if he did, he would certainly turn it down. Installing such a device, he said, could become a double-edged sword by encouraging students to be curious about sex prematurely.

Aids Access Foundation director Nimit Tienudom, however, said the Public Health Ministry's policy to reintroduce condom-vending machines at schools could help prevent sexually transmitted diseases, especially Aids, and premature pregnancy.

"This measure would help youngsters buy condoms cheaply, and they would not need to face sellers," he said.

Nimit said his foundation would propose that the Public Health Ministry propel forward a national agenda for condom access to ensure they are sufficiently and thoroughly distributed, while also emphasising the importance of condom usage to prevent sexually related problems.

Condom vending machines were first installed in schools in 2011; Bangkok's Ban Bangkapi School got four of them. However, they lasted only six months before the project folded amid protests by students and parents.

Department of Disease Control chief Dr Sophon Mekthon said the latest plan to install condom machines was part of a five-year strategic plan (2015-2019) of the National Aids Prevention and Alleviation Committee to boost youth access to protection. However, it would not be compulsory. If a school is ready to adopt this scheme, the department is prepared to install the machines, while those who thought there were better ways to prevent HIV/Aids among youth could do as they saw fit. The schools already provided lessons about safe sex.

Regarding the policy to hand out clean needles to drug addicts, he said it remained unclear through which channel these needles would be distributed. Non-governmental organisations with wide information networks were working on these details.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-condom-machines-in-schools-Kamol-30253725.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-10

What planet is this guy living on "students don't think much about sex" come on get real. How could this guy hold this position in the school system with a mentality like this.

"I disagree and will not allow condom-dispensing machines in schools. I want the campaign to be [conducted] in another way. The students also don't really think much about [sex], so there is no need to install the devices in schools," he said.

Premature sex? Never heard of such a thing!

It's the youth at these educational places who are experimenting, and the result is often premature marriages!

The OBEC needs to get real, and prevent early pregnancies. It's easier for a lad to get a condom than for a lass to go on the pill some weeks before 'the event'.

A few years back, when I was working for a university in the South Pacific, one-third of the female students had to drop out of their course as they were pregnant. Free condoms were available at the clinic, but the nurses there were of a certain religion and refused to give these out. OBEC are no different.

Khan Kamol from OBEC seems as retarded as the Thai schools educational methods. He should be made responsible for all those unwanted teen pregnancies and surge in STD's.

No one will stop youngsters from having sex. They will just do it without condom. What is worse?

Khun Kamol, please get informed and educate yourself!!! This has nothing to do with Thainess, this is about the wellbeing of young people.

HIV, teenage unwanted pregnancies..just two main factors that could be curbed somewhat by the sale of condoms in schools, and I for one feel it would be the girls who would use the machines to protect themselves, rather than the gung-ho selfish young Thai males.

As for the powers-that-be refusing to install these machines into schools..that is stereotypical of Thai thinking..NO foresight whatsoever..DOH!