Discriminatory Interview Questions at an International School

mchammer

I had applied for a position at an international school in Chiang Mai, and thought it was a reputable place and heard good things from the locals in town. I received an email and call for an interview the following day. I was very much excited because it was something that I was looking forward to and felt that my credentials and experience met and qualified me for the position. To my surprise the interview process was not how I'd imagine my first interview in Thailand to be. I have a background in the hiring process for teachers and felt a lot of the questions were unprofessional and down right sexist. Usually the interview would consist of a team: the head master, elementary principle and a Thai HR personal. It was only the Thai personal for my interview. The first three questions were: what brought me to Thailand, how long would I plan to be here and would I be bearing kids during my stay here (I had mentioned that I was married in my previous answers.) As the interview proceeded it was more of a prying investigation on my visa status and discriminatory comments on who I was instead of my teaching abilities. I tried not to let her frustrate me and understand that there is a cultural difference in Thailand when it comes to disclosing information but some of her questions were down right WRONG to ask! She asked what my husband worked as, who pays him, would I be able to cope with my husband being gone with researching for long searches at a time...etc. If I were a man at this same interview, she would have NEVER asked any of these questions. Ladies and gents, am I wrong? Are they even allowed to ask that? Will I even get a call back? At this point, I'm not sure about even wanting to teach there.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In three years of teaching, I have encountered drunks, jr drunks, party monsters and at least one creeper at each school I taught or am teaching. I very much think that questions about who you are quite valid. If you go to websites featuring efl teachers, many of the resumes (jobs) complete bs. Many teachers here carry dual passposts.

Unfortunately the ones most dangerous and/or burned out having been at this game for a ling time and creepers are far from stupid despite their compulsion.

I think all single men above 32 suspect. Who are you and why are you in Thailand and not your home country seens an excellent question. The weather is nice does not seem to be a sufficient answer.

There are a lot of bad people in this country and many agebcies have no qualms abiut placing them in front of a classroom.

Whether these were standard questions or they did not like the looks of you, eho knows. Take stock in it.

I'm not slagging you, just that in my exoerience there is frightening concern.

I've never met a larger more unprofessional group of people in my life. They will.say and do anything to get and stay hired - except the job and attendant responsibilities thsy were hired for.

Its like working in a call center wuth a bunch of immature hugh school drop outs.

This isn't your home country - they have no access to references and all sorts of checks snd balances. Sixty percent of teachers could move to China, agencies close. The kids would be all the safer.

Drunks are not harmless. They are lazy, sloppy and waste time. Creepers, just goes without saying. At least one of these in each school I've been in - and two people that drink to excess.

Its their country, they can ask what they want, but moreover children are involved.

This is basically true, but I have found foreign female teachers, while less in numbers, are more likely to be drunks, druggies, and try to sleep with everything that moves. The stereotype focuses on men, but the women are just as, if not more deviant.

mchammer (female)

Thailand may be challenging for you.

Not only will the personnel dept ask you these things, every Thai you engage in conversation will ask you these questions and the questions will become more and more personal until you put a stop to it. You need deflection strategies if you don't want to answer. In a job interview this is more difficult. The Thai interviewer is trying to ascertain your social status and your likelihood to stay at least one academic year.

Learn to answer questions with questions, such as, "Why do you think that?" or "Why are you asking?" or, "What is your full name?" (they hate that) or deflect with, "Not interesting for you," or, "It's complicated," or even, "You can speak to my secretary / driver." (that you don't have)

Oh, International School teachers...they could never be washed up teachers fired from posts in home countries. They could never have drinking problems. They could never be one step ahead of the law in their home countries. GuesNever had morals or discipline charges levied against them. I missed all that. I missed how having a teaching credential somehow makes someone abive scrutiny, in Thailand no less.

As for her being a woman - while I've never met a woman with qualifications to teach intl schools, the ones I have met were as crazy drinkers as their male counterparts.

Too funny, intl teachers beyond scrutiny. Lol.

• Like 2

I once attended an interview where one of the panel questioned why I had studied a particular subject and then pompously asked whether I would have preferred to have studied something else. I gave him the serious 'considered' professional answer and then said that it was like being asked if I had my time over again would I go straight? The rest of the panel were amused but he was furious. Needless to say I didn't get the job, but you need to remember that as well as being interviewed, you are interviewing the institution. BTW, if you receive an email for an interview the following day, there is unlikely to be a panel in place unless there has been a last-minute drop-out, so you already know you are there as a fill-in. Sometimes, however, the panel meets in the afternoon and there is a prior further short-listing process in the morning. It appears you were not made aware of any other process than the one attended. PS a professional outfit might ask you to make a short class presentation. Better luck next time, but maybe it wasn't such bad luck this time.

• Like 1

Dear Op,

I do understand your frustration, but please see the naked truth. Here're two examples from two different schools in lower northeast, where "female teachers" did lose their faces completely. But not just that.

# One: Two Canadian younger women in their early twenties, worked at a primary school, wearing flip flops at work, short skirts and tops that there's no need for any imagination. They always got drunk, came to work (if so) still drunk and finally decided to participate in a table dance at a local discotheque.

They didn't seem to wash their feet on daily basis and were a topic all over the city for quite a while.

A mother of one of the students was at this place and reported their "behavior" to the school director, which led to their dismissal.

# Two: An American and a Canadian woman, working for a well known high school somewhere in lower northeast, had similar attitudes as above mentioned women. They're able to drink 8 big Leo's, which seems to be awesome, but not when you're a teacher, out late at night, being dressed like a woman who's working in the horizontal business.

They finally decided to go out, get drunk and the party turned into something, you could watch at a striptease show. After one of them had dropped her bra, plus doing quite a few other disgusting things, they're both reported to the director the next day.

Two guests at this place were grade 12 students from the school the two "friendly farang women" worked at. They're a couple who wanted to enjoy a relaxed evening. together and were shocked to see their teachers acting like that.

Immediate dismissal the next day. Of course are many male teachers doing similar things.......

As you've already mentioned, it's a different culture, but certain questions seem to be okay.Best of luck to find a suitable position. wai2.gif

Oh, International School teachers...they could never be washed up teachers fired from posts in home countries. They could never have drinking problems. They could never be one step ahead of the law in their home countries. GuesNever had morals or discipline charges levied against them. I missed all that. I missed how having a teaching credential somehow makes someone abive scrutiny, in Thailand no less.

As for her being a woman - while I've never met a woman with qualifications to teach intl schools, the ones I have met were as crazy drinkers as their male counterparts.

Too funny, intl teachers beyond scrutiny. Lol.

No one said they were beyond scrutiny; however the field is largely professional; especially compared to "Thai School" teaching.

When parents are shelling out nearly 40k US per year for their child they expect....and receive a very high quality school. In fact, some of the best rated international schools in the world are based in SE Asia and Thailand.

You sound like a very, very bitter person. I count myself lucky that I don't know you personally.

And it affects me personally that all guys here seem to be drunks in his eyes. "As their male counterparts" sounds very "impertinent", but also insane.

• Like 1

I must agree with some of the previous replies that there are a lot of extended (sex) tourists, drunks, derelicts and people with other odd reasons to be in Thailand and teaching seems to be the job of choice.

I have kids on and international and a bi-lingual school and several incidents over the past few years including two involving my kids make it very clear that these schools have a hard time sifting out the unwanted elements.

So yes, I can understand that the questions go far and for me they couldn't go far enough. Many people have reasons to be in Thailand and that not always makes them the people you want to be involved with the education of your kids.

• Like 2

mchammer (female)

Not only will the personnel dept ask you these things, every Thai you engage in conversation will ask you these questions and the questions will become more and more personal until you put a stop to it. You need deflection strategies if you don't want to answer. In a job interview this is more difficult. The Thai interviewer is trying to ascertain your social status and your likelihood to stay at least one academic year.

Learn to answer questions with questions, such as, "Why do you think that?" or "Why are you asking?" or, "What is your full name?" (they hate that) or deflect with, "Not interesting for you," or, "It's complicated," or even, "You can speak to my secretary / driver." (that you don't have)

As a follow-up to the excellent points made above: This morning I filled up my fuel tank at a petrol station. I heard the pump boy holler, "farang" as I pulled up. I told him in Thai how much I wanted and the type of fuel. He asked me where I was going. I replied, in Thai, "I can tell from your accent that you are from Isaan." That was enough to end his nosy questions for a while. One has to enforce one's position here quite often by simply not assuming the submissive role.

Remember the key thing here is, "It is not necessary to answer unsolicited, nosy or personal questions, even more so from strangers, even when they are delivered with a friendly smile."

• Like 1

I know some philipina teachers in thailand who had babies but they had their own houses and had their family members talking care of them however when the school found out they got fired.....

And most often they do not hire foreign teachers with kids..and if u get pregnant most likely u get fired..

yes i agree they never care really ur teaching skills or methods much more they keen on collecting all kind of information from you that nothing got to do with the job requirements...

Thainess perhaps

I feel you are wrong.

Political correctness doesn't exist in Thailand. The school probably has genuine concerns about your future stability. They may have had experience with Western women breaking their contracts early because they were lonely, missing their partner or got pregnant. Their primary concern is for the school, students and parents.

"If I were a man at this same interview, she would have NEVER asked any of these questions" - victim mentality. You are wrong anyway. I have been asked to complete forms that require details about my parents' religion/occupations. I have been asked about my partner in interviews. I have to take a syphilis test to extend my work permit.

If you can't adapt, you won't enjoy Thailand.

"Their primary concern is for the school, students and parents."

Agree. They seem perfectly legitimate questions to ask if they want to ensure the best classroom experience for their students. Just because they might be considered not PC in the west doesn't make them negatively discriminatory. Your sensitivities don't outweigh the potential disruptions you could cause for the students. The schools exist for them, not for you.

In fact, despite the frequent use of the word by people who want to rush to lawyer up, discrimination is a positive thing when done for the right reasons in the hiring process. And despite what you may want to believe, even if it isn't in your face, unfair discrimination based on gender, age and appearance take place in the west when hiring teachers. They can always find some excuse for not hiring you even if the real reason would be considered unfair or illegal.

: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people

: the ability to recognize the difference between things that are of good quality and those that are not

: the ability to understand that one thing is different from another thing

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

mchammer (female)

You say any of those to me in an interview and you lost the opportunity.

I know some philipina teachers in thailand who had babies but they had their own houses and had their family members talking care of them however when the school found out they got fired.....

And most often they do not hire foreign teachers with kids..and if u get pregnant most likely u get fired..

yes i agree they never care really ur teaching skills or methods much more they keen on collecting all kind of information from you that nothing got to do with the job requirements...

Thainess perhaps

I don't know where you find this. I know at least four Filipina teachers with kids. My sister-in-law has four kids and a husband on her work permit and she is in her third year at the school. Having children and family here may be seen as beneficial to your chances of stay.

Thainess perhaps

I don't know where you find this. I know at least four Filipina teachers with kids. My sister-in-law has four kids and a husband on her work permit and she is in her third year at the school. Having children and family here may be seen as beneficial to your chances of stay.

Well in the Op the interviewer was asking if she had or wanted any kids...Why u think she wants to know this..?

I just heard this story first hand from a phill friend of mine she just got fired and went back with her baby to phills...anyway i sure every school has another policy..Fact remains they r asking during interviews to many questions that are not their business..

Discrimination is perfectly legal in Thailand. Take a look at employment ads in newspapers here: age discrimination (30 or under although age has nothing to do with performance), female (although sex should make no difference again). Thai employers do not realise or care that by limiting pool of applicants they are shooting selves in the foot, or head, or wallet. Perhaps asking so many questions about family plans indicate they just want a warm body in classroom?

Thainess perhaps

Well in the Op the interviewer was asking if she had or wanted any kids...Why u think she wants to know this..?

I just heard this story first hand from a phill friend of mine she just got fired and went back with her baby to phills...anyway i sure every school has another policy..Fact remains they r asking during interviews to many questions that are not their business..

Yes, they may have wanted to know if the OP would be available for the entire session and not take maternity leave or time-off to care for kids, or that she may get lonely for any kids she may have left behind and return home, or it could have just been a curiosity. As has been mentioned, political correctness is not rampant here.

The Filipina you mention may well have been terminated for reasons other than simply having a child. I do not know her, so that is pure speculation. However, I do know few Filipino teachers leave Thailand when so many jobs are available here--jobs at better pay than they can get in the PI, and the jobs that are not readily available in the PI. I know, because I have a rather extensive network of Filipino teacher friends here. My wife, also a Filipina, teaches and brokers Filipino teachers to Thai schools; has done so for six years.

I don't believe Thai schools in general have any problem with foreign teachers with children, especially Filipino teachers. Two of my sister-in-law's kids attend the school in which she teaches, the other two, twin boys, were born last year in her second year of teaching there, and her husband volunteers at the school--so the school is well aware of her married with children status. And, as I mentioned, I know at least four other Filipina teachers with kids here, and all of them teach at different schools.

OP, don't let it get to you. The vast majority of <deleted> on this board would never even qualify for a Thai or Western teaching license.

If you've ever been an instructor who's had to take on additional work or an administrator who has suddenly and unexpectedly had to juggle the timetable & staffing allocations or a parent whose child has had to cope with a succession of substitute teachers because someone has "disappeared" for one reason or another, no matter how legitimate, you might understand that just qualifying for a teaching license doesn't make you particularly qualified to comment. Most people who think there's nothing wrong with the questions that were asked have probably had experience with the problems everyone has to deal with when the staffing is not stable and predictable.

• Like 2

In the US, you will have already passed a fingerprint clearance, so that eliminates a lot of innuendos about one's past. I've hear male teachers in LOS complain that the director always referred to their GFs as "prostitutes." When they need you; they will hire you, as long as you meet the minimum standards. BTW, some of these so called
"International Schools" in CM are paying degreed NES about 25K.

• Like 1