Metal frame/vivaboard house.

An experienced friend insists this is a great method of building.

Quick, cheap and it can be very easily added to or altered later by just welding and trimming.

I counter that they always look cheap and are not properly finished.

He says things are changing.

Is it possible to get an aesthetically pleasing building of this type nowadays?

• Like 1

If by viva board you mean fibre cement planks from brands like Shera, Conwood and SmartWood, I couldn't recommend it. They are simply to easily breakable, they will be black from fungus within 2 years, and they have very little insulation value (sound, heat or otherwise).

• Like 2

Viva Board sold in Thailand is a "wood cement board" or "Cement Bonded Particle Board"and is not exactly the same as Shera, Conwood, Elephant, Diamond or Smartwood. It is almost like a very strong gypsum board usually in large sheets and certainly is used with metal framing. How one paints it or finishes it to look attractive may be up to the skill set of the workers. Much as a gypsum interior room can be inexpensive, but it will not be as sound proof or heat resistant as a AAC block wall rooms. As IMHO points out the insulation is not part of the Viva Board itself. http://www.viva.co.th/en/about.php

• Like 1

Elsewhere in the world you could probably get something well made. Here.... flip a coin. Thais generally can't even mix and pour concrete correctly. Welding is usually very spotty here too. It's mostly unskilled labor building the average home. However, you do see some amazing places here and there, but they seem to be expensive homes. Then again, if you went into them and looked at everything up close, it may not look as good. From a distance, everything looks good.

In regards to your build, as it was said above, insulation would be my main concern. You don't want an awesome looking home that's a hot box.

• Like 2

Hmmm didn't know they use those internal type studs for the actual frame of the house Wayne....they're really very thin I've made walls from them.

They're so thin self tapping screws go in very easily which makes life very easy. (Do the normal grades of metal section here have to be drilled to take a screw?)

But it's amazing how strong things can get when you complete a structure in three dimensions......like an aircraft wing is so very strong but made from quite thin metal.

Kamalabob's correct of course Vivaboard is strong and rated for external use including decks and steps.

For me the problem is that you can usually see the joins in the sheets and also at an edge you're going to see the overlapping edge.

Then the brain knows the structures made of sheets and that suggests cheap and flimsy (even though it might not be flimsy.)

The solution would be if the whole thing could be rendered or coated on all sides.

Well I kinda doubt the Vivaboard can be rendered without tacking expanded metal on it or something.......and that brings it's own possible future rust problems.

Maybe some sort of thick spray or brush stucco coating could be applied which might cover a multitude of sins.......hang on....

OK looked it up indeed it exists look here:

I also note there are now fine self adhesive meshes that can be used instead of expanded metal for whole surfaces, though that doesn't seem to be necessary for the Rockcote.

Question is.....can one make up some sort of Rockcote out of easily obtainable materials.......and next is it all cost effective.

Oh and here's one with expanded metal....I guess they may do a lot of this in the US on top of stud external walls.

Question is what does the expanded metal go on now?

It used to be ply I think.

In any case it could easily be cement board.

(note the method he uses for getting the bulk of the muck on the wall....what he calls the go-devil.....new one on me!)

The difference between the first video and the second is of course the thickness of coating.

The first is essentially a skim coat and hanging on by itself.

The second is a conventional two coat job totalling 3/4 of an inch.....to heavy to stay up itself.even for one coat of 3/8ths.

Obviously the thinner method is preferable if one can do it cost effectively.

Edited by cheeryble

Viva board is fine for interior but not for exterior. I have a few doors from garden sheds and alike made from Viva Board , as well as some covers, and within 3 years they have all to be replaced.

Sorry just saw your post....

I have to admit i've never used the stuff Anthony but Vivaboard seems to be rated for exterior applications though possibly with some protection.

Bear in mind i'm not recommending it.....just investigating.

post-120824-0-84838500-1423595461_thumb.

Edited by cheeryble

I would be very leery of using unproven/evolving technology in combination with the typical construction labor one has available here in TH. Seems a very shaky premise overall. The same Issan or Burmese construction workers who can put up a very decent conventional ferroconcrete structure with brick walls and a very nice cement stucco coating over that might be stumped by the steel and sheet method. They stumped and you dumped holding the baby.

Ok, it looks slightly different to the fiber cement products I first imagined it to be.

Have you actually inquired as to pricing yet?...

Friend told me 100k for the one on the ?Mae Tang Road.

That would be about 25sqm including the verandah.

This price is attractive if it was right for use.

I also looked up asiagrandplus on Facebook from a notice we saw in CR they seemed a lot more.

Ok, it looks slightly different to the fiber cement products I first imagined it to be.

Have you actually inquired as to pricing yet?...

Friend told me 100k for the one on the ?Mae Tang Road.

That would be about 25sqm including the verandah.

This price is attractive if it was right for use.

I also looked up asiagrandplus on Facebook from a notice we saw in CR they seemed a lot more.

OK, so 4K/sqm for something you weren't entirely impressed with, and could potentially need 1000++/sqm extra finishing to meet your standards - vs. I think - you were anticipating 7K/sqm for concrete, brick and tile?

This might not be a factor at all..... but properly cured & finished & maintained CB&T can achieve a design life 100 years ;)