Surf's Up In Patong

Old Croc

Good thing they had lifesavers there Croc.............

Many years ago I saved 2 people on Samui once and there were NO lifesavers back than but almost drowned myself; I was fortunate a Thai guy from Bangkok (on honeymoon :D ) grabbed a buoy (without any rope attached :D ) and made a human chain and saved me :o

He refused any reward.............

Next day the waiter of the small resort told me......""""Kill....kill....many day people kill by sea here; 2 days ago 2 Farang killed same same here in sea" :D

I was fornutate!

LaoPo :D

I keep meaning to go down to Phuket to give surfing a shot. I used to skateboard and snowboard a lot in my youth, I imagine that will help a bit?...

Does anyone know when the best time of year is for surfing and which beach is the best?

Cheers

Right now seems good. I drove around the island on Sunday and there were reasonable waves on all beaches. The westerly monsoons seem to be raising waves everywhere. There were a lot of boards in the water, but it's not Margaret River.

I keep meaning to go down to Phuket to give surfing a shot. I used to skateboard and snowboard a lot in my youth, I imagine that will help a bit?...

Does anyone know when the best time of year is for surfing and which beach is the best?

Cheers

Kata, Kata Noi and Nai Harn beaches are quite popular with the local surfers. You could try and hook up with the guys from Da's Surf located directly on Kata Beach in front of The Boathouse. This operation is run by Thais and a Kiwi guy who has been living and surfing on Phuket for over 25 years. They also offer surf lessons. Best months to surf here is between May - October.

Wasn't the competition atSurin last year (Nov?)

There might be off Surin as well but I know that there are annual Surf Competitions off Kata Beach and somehow they seem to choose a time when suddenly the weather changes and there is not a ripple in the water. :o Although last year there was a bit of a swell. Feel sorry for the surfers though.

Cheers

If you want to know about surfing in Thailand check here (i post there)

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Asia/Thailand/index.html

If you're surfing on the SW coast of Thailand (Phuket etc.) and you want to see how the waves are gonna unfold check out this AWSOME site. I use this all the time and its pretty accurate: -

1)www.stormsurf.com

2) click on CHARTROOM

3) choose indian ocean box and scroll over "weather links"

4) select "wave models"

5) select NOAA WW3 & NAVY

6) select last grey box (WAM Regional models) and click on BAY OF BENGAL power view for the next few days of swell prediction!

CB

Edited by Cigarette Burn

Hi Ciggie, that would be awesome if i could only get the thing to work, keeps saying:

"Sorry, but this script has been called from a domain that is not authorized to use this script."

Are you using Fire Fox with the No-Script extension?

Enable scripts on that page.

just guessing might work?

Surfing

Surin has some nice waves but it's a short break and they brke almost on the shore line

Kamala - Depending on the day I've noticed some large swell and ususally about 8-16 people out surfing in the North end of Kamala Bay.