Lawyer asks prosecutors to review decision to indict Yingluck

Lite Beer

Lawyer asks prosecutors to review decision to indict Yingluck

2-12-2015-6-44-50-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A lawyer for former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday submitted a petition to the Office of the Attorney General requesting for a review of its decision to indict his client over the rice scheme.

Norrawat Lalaeng, the lawyer, said that the OAG was also asked to conduct additional investigation into three points regarding the rice-pledging case.

A joint committee of the OAG and National Anti-Corruption Commission found that the three points in the case were not complete, but the NACC had not conducted additional inquiry as asked by the committee, the lawyer said.

On NACC chairman Panthep Klanarongran’s remark that the OAG was scheduled to indict Ms Yingluck in the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on Feb 19, Mr Norrawit said according to the law the defendant is not required to appear before the court. He did not know if the former prime minister would do so on that day.

On speculation that Ms Yingluck would seek a political asylum aborad, Mr Norrawit said it was groundless. He believed the rumour was started by those opposed to the former prime minister.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lawyer-asks-prosecutors-review-decision-indict-yingluck

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-12

Oh here we go again. I am waiting for Mango Bob to get onto this one.

Same story different day - same old drum beating

I saw her plane come to Chiang Mai the other day

It flies over my house. Pilot getting in some training I think

• Like 2

Probably flying some home made curries to the homesick "Ex PM in Exile".

So rather than being able to confront the OAG with inadequate or possibly incorrect information and thereby ensuring the dismissal of the charge with "Not Guilty", Ms. Yingluck's legal team wants the OAG to dig up more ?

A dismissal of a charge, and "not guilty" are two different things.

Yingluck's lawyers seek review of case
The Nation

30253963-01_big.jpg

PM may seek written agreement from conflicting parties before election

BANGKOK: -- FORMER PRIME MINISTER Yingluck Shinawatra's legal team has urged the Office of the Attorney-General to review its decision to pursue a corruption case against her, arguing that there is insufficient evidence as the investigation is still incomplete.

Yingluck's lawyer Norawit Lalaeng yesterday submitted a written request to Attorney-General Trakul Winitnaiyapak seeking fair treatment for the former prime minister. Senior public prosecutor Kitinun Thatpramuk accepted the letter on behalf of the attorney-general.

Norawit said this was the sixth time that Yingluck's legal team had submitted such a request. But he denied that the repeated move was an attempt to "buy time".

The lawyer also said that even Deputy Attorney-General Vudhibhongse Vibulyawongse, who headed a working group jointly investigating the case with a team from the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), had admitted some points in the case were incomplete. He added that prosecutors had concluded there was no evidence to prove the corruption allegations against Yingluck.

Norawit said Yingluck's lawyers agreed that there was no need for her to report herself to public prosecutors on February 19 when the case is scheduled to be filed with the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions.

He said the lawyers had not yet asked Yingluck if she wanted to meet the prosecutors on that day, adding that she was now in the northern city of Chiang Mai. The case stems from the Yingluck government's controversial rice-pledging scheme.

Kitinun said yesterday that public prosecutors would certainly file a complaint with the Supreme Court on February 19 even if Yingluck does not show up for a meeting with the prosecutors.

Yingluck was spotted at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai yesterday having lunch with a small group of friends. She declined to comment, only smiling and excusing herself when approached by reporters.

'Needless distraction'

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that his government was becoming preoccupied with Yingluck although it was supposed to focus more on tackling the country's problems.

He admitted that his administration was "slightly annoyed" by different political issues but evaded the question as to whether issues pertaining to Yingluck had caused the government to "lose concentration".

"Her case is in the justice process. I want things to settle down. Khun Yingluck may eat noodles anywhere she likes. But she can't do that freely if she is prohibited from doing so," Prayut said.

The prime minister said the government had responded to calls by the United States as to what should be done to return democracy to Thailand. "It's a matter for the Americans if they understand or not. I don't want to bicker with them," he said, adding that the "road map" set after he seized power from the elected government was still being followed.

Prayut, who also heads the National Council for Peace and Order, said that to prevent a resurgence of the political conflict after the next general election, the conflicting parties might be made to sign an agreement that they would not provoke conflicts again.

He said the military would intervene again by staging yet another coup if a severe conflict occurs in the country. However, he himself would not get involved, as he would "pass on the baton" to a new administration after the election. "I hope everyone has learned some lessons from the incidents in the past. But if they still want to stay with conflicts, let them. I give up," he told reporters.

Meanwhile, the US consul-general in Chiang Mai, Michael Heath, yesterday rejected a rumour that Yingluck had applied for asylum at his consulate. He said he had no information regarding this matter.

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday that the latest information from security agencies showed that Yingluck was not seeking asylum as rumoured.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yinglucks-lawyers-seek-review-of-case-30253963.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-13

Why do I get the feeling that the PM is feed up and knows nothing is really going to change after the next election. As if signing an agreement is going to change anything. One side or the other is going to protest, especially the Thaksin camp because the Junta has favored the one side over the other. Admit it, Thailand needs a Junta for Life.

• Like 1

And if this ploy doesn't work, bring out the lunch-boxes ? wink.png

Anything will do as long as she doesn't have to actually answer any questions.

Delays, read from prepared statements the whine on and waffle, make veiled comments about reconciliation and asylum, and yeah, no one has got the pastry boxes out - yet.

Anything and everything - but not any answers.

I'm sure the Amply Rich billionaire is worried - not. She knows she'll never really be expected to go in the witness box and be questioned, or receive any real punishment. Maybe a few odd inconveniences, but not for long. Maybe better for her to be banned from politics, she won't be subjected to her brother's continuous commands. But she'll miss all those free trips and extra special VIP treatment for sure.

• Like 1

So rather than being able to confront the OAG with inadequate or possibly incorrect information and thereby ensuring the dismissal of the charge with "Not Guilty", Ms. Yingluck's legal team wants the OAG to dig up more ?

A dismissal of a charge, and "not guilty" are two different things.

You're right.

So Ms. Yingluck's legal team wants to save the OAG from making a mistake by requesting they do some more investigation. As if they know the OAG hasn't found the real damning bits yet. Now that shouldn't surprise, the NACC only really started 1-1/2 year ago.

I'm still wondering though about the seemingly altruistic attitude of Ms. Yinglucks legal team. Must be me

The OAG requests, but Ms. Yingluck's legal team agrees there's no need ? Is the legal team trying to provoke or promote 'civil disobedience' just like Pheu Thai party members suggested when she still was (caretaker) PM ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's an interesting interpretation simply because, as you perceive, it doesn't make any sense. Consider then that it is your understanding that doesn't make any sense.

The OAG originally rejected accepting the case from NACC because "NACC had not conducted additional inquiry as asked by the committee." The OAG offered to work with the NACC to develop the additional information it had requested, assured the effort wouldn't be burdensome, and the NACC refused. Then in an unexplained turnabout the OAG accepts the case for prosecution. Why? NACC could have on its own prosecuted the case without the OAG!

Yingluck's attorneys are requesting the review of OAG's decision for reversing itself despite what it had seen as major flaws in NACC's case. They are not asking OAG to develop further inquiries or information. If the OAG is being transparent it should agree to the request. If it doesn't, then it gives the perception that it is being bias and/or politically motivated.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's an interesting interpretation simply because, as you perceive, it doesn't make any sense. Consider then that it is your understanding that doesn't make any sense.

The OAG originally rejected accepting the case from NACC because "NACC had not conducted additional inquiry as asked by the committee." The OAG offered to work with the NACC to develop the additional information it had requested, assured the effort wouldn't be burdensome, and the NACC refused. Then in an unexplained turnabout the OAG accepts the case for prosecution. Why? NACC could have on its own prosecuted the case without the OAG!

Yingluck's attorneys are requesting the review of OAG's decision for reversing itself despite what it had seen as major flaws in NACC's case. They are not asking OAG to develop further inquiries or information. If the OAG is being transparent it should agree to the request. If it doesn't, then it gives the perception that it is being bias and/or politically motivated.

Maybe the OAG has agreed that this case is not about corruption by Ms. Yingluck herself? The case is about her negligence in controlling the scheme, negligence in controlling losses of her 'self-financing' scheme?

The legal team IS asking the OAG to develop further inquiries or information if only implicitly by "arguing that there is insufficient evidence as the investigation is still incomplete"

BTW isn't is much more legal when the OAG does the charging and prosecution? Like they did with Abhisit/Suthep, like they do with Somchai?

So, a case against Ms. Yingluck who still seems happy eating noodles while her legal team continues delay and obfuscation.

I think that will be on the cards soon, its just a matter of tweaking the government with a little bull shit