Farang passenger vs Thai cab driver: Who'll win?

Thaivisa News

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Marie-Antoinette story resonates not because of its historical acuity but because the story represents the contempt the ruling classes had for their own people, their lack of empathy for their suffering and the lack of experience of the life of the people. That is why I used it to refer to the TV posters who seem to lack humanity and decency. If you don't like Thailand or Thai people please feel free to leave. Just stop whining all the time.

If it was an honest mistake by the farang, why were the police necessary?

On the other hand, the honest taxi driver did not want to go by the meter, but by a prearranged price of 400 Baht incl. tolls. How much was it on the meter? Why did the police tell the customer to pay the 400 Baht and not the meter rate?

from Khao San Road to the airport it is around 260 Baht per Meter and the highway toll is 80 Baht, if the taxi is forced to a long standstill with the motor running enroute to the expressway entrance, the price of 400 Baht is fair

The Marie-Antoinette story resonates not because of its historical acuity but because the story represents the contempt the ruling classes had for their own people, their lack of empathy for their suffering and the lack of experience of the life of the people. That is why I used it to refer to the TV posters who seem to lack humanity and decency. If you don't like Thailand or Thai people please feel free to leave. Just stop whining all the time.

If you don't like what you're reading, find something else to read. Just stop whining all the time.

If you don't like what you're reading, find something else to read. Just stop whining all the time.

You're erudition and sophisticated debating skills, learned no doubt as an infant in a sand pit lead me to explain I do find other thing to read and in writing an alternative to the 'Hate Thais - hate Thailand narrative also provide other people with different things to read. Some people are too inexperienced both in life and travel and lack the patience and temperament for travelling outside of their western comfort zone. Once they have discovered this they can act on their new found insights and book a ticket out of here. Aisle or window?

You're erudition and sophisticated debating skills, learned no doubt as an infant in a sand pit lead me to explain I do find other thing to read and in writing an alternative to the 'Hate Thais - hate Thailand narrative also provide other people with different things to read. Some people are too inexperienced both in life and travel and lack the patience and temperament for travelling outside of their western comfort zone. Once they have discovered this they can act on their new found insights and book a ticket out of here. Aisle or window?

LOL. 'Looked oddly familiar, did they? But that aisle or window thing? You're sounding like a broken record. Double your investment and spend a dime for some new material. (Or stick with the day job.) Oh, and get out of the house more - wherever it really is.

This is news? Bad, bad falang again.

Good job they don't print the stories about the taxi drivers ripping off the foreign passengers.You would need about 800 pages a day. It's happened to me when I gave the driver a 1,000 baht note for a 90 baht fare. He gave me change for a hundred baht! I went nuts and he did give me my money in the end. The fact that I'd had about 8 Singhas that night may have helped me, but looking back I was lucky he didn't have a machete. I refused to leave his cab and punching my fist into an open hand while shouting 'Me, you...outside...NOW!'' Bloody stupid.

Where's my story in the papers? Not to mention that 'quick' meter you see now and again (500 baht from Don Meung to Rangsit once when it's usually about 250 baht).

You gave a 1000 Baht note for 90 Baht fare? What a pratt! If I had been the driver I would have given you the changes in coins and radioed my taxi mates to join me in hammering you.

why are there no female taxi drivers....clap2.gif

I have had several over the years....but I know you are hoping for cute, young and pretty Thai girls that maybe a person can chat up...lol

I was hoping the same....but so far no luck....lol

This is news? Bad, bad falang again.

Good job they don't print the stories about the taxi drivers ripping off the foreign passengers.You would need about 800 pages a day. It's happened to me when I gave the driver a 1,000 baht note for a 90 baht fare. He gave me change for a hundred baht! I went nuts and he did give me my money in the end. The fact that I'd had about 8 Singhas that night may have helped me, but looking back I was lucky he didn't have a machete. I refused to leave his cab and punching my fist into an open hand while shouting 'Me, you...outside...NOW!'' Bloody stupid.

Where's my story in the papers? Not to mention that 'quick' meter you see now and again (500 baht from Don Meung to Rangsit once when it's usually about 250 baht).

You gave a 1000 Baht note for 90 Baht fare? What a pratt! If I had been the driver I would have given you the changes in coins and radioed my taxi mates to join me in hammering you.

Now, Now Mr. Mechanic....Jai Yen Noi..... Jai Yen Noi

I have had many a taxi cab ride where I did not have small money ....only 500 baht notes and or 1000 baht notes....or not enough small notes adding up to the meter fare.

It is not the responsibility of the passenger to have the proper change to accommodate the driver as it is considered Part of the drivers business to carry enough money to make the proper change.

If you disagree then think how may times people could have or did go into a store to buy something and they had say a 1000 baht note but they tell the client they can not make change.

In such cases the person receiving the payment for services or product is more or less understood to be the person that has to accommodate the customer...not the other way around.

Many a time I have had to run into a seven eleven or family mart or find a person who can make change to accommodate the taxi driver that says he does not have Change....or so he says...... while certainly some of them are saying they can not make change hoping you will just give them the extra money anyhow.

Edited by gemguy

So the farang passenger insisted the taxi driver not use the meter.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What really happened.....The passenger got to the airport and saw the meter said zero and he gave the guy 35Bt + 5Bt tip.

I do the same. If the driver doesn't turn on the meter...not MY problem. I never ask them to turn on the meter. I get in and tell them my destination then pay what the meter says. If the meter says zero, I'm fair about it and he gets the minimum fare from me.