Farang passenger vs Thai cab driver: Who'll win?

Thaivisa News

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps an oversight?

Today I bought an item for 60 Baht and paid with a 1000 baht note.

The saleswoman gave me back 40 baht.

I told the saleswoman that i have given her a 1000 baht note and pronto she gave me 940 Baht back.

Perhaps an oversight?

...so you paid 20 baht for a 60 baht item...

Well thats a first !!Farang trying to cheat a Bangkok taxi driver. !!

Well done mate.

First of all, it's certainly not the first farang to cheat a taxi driver....

Second, It's the farang that initiated the 400 bth trip to the airport.....the taxi driver only agreed on this witch every body would do....

The farang didn't keep his word he is the scumbag here....

I personally have met a lot of very nice taxi drivers....AND A FEW BAD ONES...But the majority were OK....

regards....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I love that attitude here 'a farang person would never do such a thing'

Newsflash gents, we are also very capable of being complete rectum holes.

Thailand is the trash bin of the western world

Shouldn't that read Eastern world or maybe whole world.

Nope.. western world and russia..

What a prick. Where does this trash get off trying to rip off a person providing a convenient service and in the process giving tourists a bad name.

I live at Cottesloe Beach which is a tourist beach in Pert Australia and have witnessed a few fare evasions from temporary visitors. I imagine they were tourists by their foreign speech.

I am proud that I happened to be in the right place to tackle one, a bilious Irishman, who had abused the taxi driver and kicked his wing mirror off.

A few jabs to the head sorted him out and he emptied his pockets with a promise of more compensation in the morning to the taxi driver for repairs in exchange for the return of his ID and the police not being contacted.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We are expected to take a taxi driver's word that a farang tried to cheat him like that? I find the whole story unlikely at best

Why..? Farangs trying to cheat happens every day!

Very true and it sadly seems to being getting worse every year. The majority not the minority give me the creeps!

I love that attitude here 'a farang person would never do such a thing'

Newsflash gents, we are also very capable of being complete rectum holes.

Thailand is the trash bin of the western world

Once, a long time ago .....in a galaxy far, far away...just joking.... I had a 1000 baht note to pay a 76 baht taxi cab fare while the cabbie claimed he did not have change.

So I leave him waiting and parked on the street

So I go into the Family Mart and buy a 10 baht bottle of energy drink

I get to the counter and there are several other people there and the employees are taking their sweet time....slowly taking care of each customer.

I get to the counter and hand them the 1000 baht note but they do not have enough change in that till and have to get another employee to open the safe and give the counter employee enough smaller bills.

Finally after about 8 minutes or so, or possibly 10 minutes, I get back outside and the taxi is not there.

No where to be seen........

FREE...taxi ride that day......ha ha

Cheers

I don't see the reason for the haha. 1000 baht note for a 76 fare, not all that smart really. Then 1000 baht note for a 10 baht drink. No wonder the Thais try to scam all farangs with the likes of you on the lose.

I hope you don't come here & complain when you get ripped off.

Proves you don't have to have a long neck to be a goose.

Just sayin..... Mal.

Let me get this straight - you are a foreigner and you take a taxi to the airport knowing that it is going to cost US$13 but you then try it on with the taxi driver by giving him $1.30???? I am surprised that this customer did not get a hiding. I wonder how much "fine" he had to pay to the police?

And he had, if all the details are to be believed, found a taxi driver who was prepared to go by meter in Bangkok?

Perhaps an oversight?

I told the saleswoman that i have given her a 1000 baht note and pronto she gave me 940 Baht back.

Perhaps an oversight?

w00t.gif Not at all. Seventy baht (thai) actually means 20 baht the way they say it. I catch them trying to cheat me all the time as I always try to calculate how much items cost before I pay. Promotion items=full price.bah.gif

load of crap, how about the daily ripping off of normal passengers, the " im not going there" drivers, it still goes on but they dont report that do they.

Those bastard foreigners again eh.................good job he wasnt scantily dressed in a bikini too!!

There are some very nice and well meaning taxi drivers out there. One time I took taxi to the airport got half way realized I forgot my wallet. Did a U-turn back home got my wallet then to the airport. When I got to the airport I was 40 baht short (didn't count on doing a U-turn). The taxi driver told me to forget it. I got his phone number and promised to return him the 40Baht. I tried to call him back but his number was disconnected. So they are not all bad.

Perhaps an oversight?

Perhaps an oversight?

w00t.gif Not at all. Seventy baht (thai) actually means 20 baht the way they say it. I catch them trying to cheat me all the time as I always try to calculate how much items cost before I pay. Promotion items=full price.bah.gif

Get yer ears cleaned out.

If it was an honest mistake by the farang, why were the police necessary?

On the other hand, the honest taxi driver did not want to go by the meter, but by a prearranged price of 400 Baht incl. tolls. How much was it on the meter? Why did the police tell the customer to pay the 400 Baht and not the meter rate?

IMO The taxi driver should have used his meter and the farang could have just given the rest as a tip.

Exactly so that immediately puts the Taxi driver's story into some doubt (certainly as to its legality), and if the Police actually DID HIS JOB, he should be enforcing the use of the meter, and fining the Taxi Driver for not using it as per the license given to him by the government, and also doing un-metered cash in hand transactions which means he is probably avoiding taxes too LOL Should have put him in cuffs and marched him off to a cell immediately! ROFL Ahhh I long for the day to see it happen.. Sadly I've only perhaps got another 50 years left in me.... cheesy.gifwai2.gif

Yep every one has a story, even me , I was getting pretty pissed at taxi drivers pulling prices out of you know where for a few trips to the same area 750-900 baht until I got into a taxi and he actually turned on his meter , I thought another efn rip off coming but alas I was soooo wrong he only charged what was on the meter 278 baht , so shocked was I I gave him 400 baht but he refused ????? confused as I was I just said take the tip and left , oh no I thought I should have got his mobile no for repeat service still nearly half price than the other scum bags nice guy too....

The farang did apoligise and paid the Bht400. So think it was just a case of mistaking the money .

Suuuure... because this: 100, 100, 100, 100 looks so much like this: 20, 20. Or "Roi" is a homonym for "Sip".

Nope, the guy was trying to cheat.