Difficulty in implementing high-speed train to resort provinces

Lite Beer

Difficulty in implementing high-speed train to resort provinces
By Digital Content

1423900277420-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 14 -- Experts said on Saturday that an idea floated recently by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha to construct high-speed train service to popular resort provinces in an attempt to boost Thailand’s tourism industry would be difficult to implement.

They say it would take several years before an environment study could be completed while the private sector would also be reluctant to enter into a joint investment with the state. Therefore, the government may have to invest by itself if it wanted the programme to materialise.

Gen Prayut came up with the idea to develop short distance high-speed train to Pattaya resort in Chon Buri province and Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan province with the objective of boosting tourism businesses in the two provinces.

The Transport Ministry’s Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning had conducted environmental studies on both routes. For instance, for the route passing Pattaya, a train would start from Bangkok to Chachoengsao, Chon Buri and Rayong with a total distance of 193.5 kilometres.

Total construction costs would be Bt152 billion while the economic internal rate of return (EIRR) would be 13 per cent and construction would take about 54 months.

As for the route passing Hua Hin resort, the Office study showed that the route would pass five provinces, starting from Bangkok.

Total distance would be 209 kilometres with an investment cost of about Bt98.40 billion and EIRR of 8.11 per cent.

Sources close to the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning said it would be difficult to implement and it would not receive interest from the private sector to jointly invest in the projects due to high investment costs and difficulty in turning a profit.

However, other studies conducted in the country and overseas suggested that implementation of high-speed trains would benefit the country’s economy by raising land value along the rail line, creating new jobs and boosting the tourism industry. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-02-14

Pattaya is in desperate need of a rail or air link. The trip down to one of Thailand's prime resorts is appalling by car especially with the road works taking a lifetime to finish. Personally I'd open up U-Tapao if it were at all possible.

• Like 2

Pattaya is in desperate need of a rail or air link. The trip down to one of Thailand's prime resorts is appalling by car especially with the road works taking a lifetime to finish. Personally I'd open up U-Tapao if it were at all possible.

The flight would take 30 mins from Bangkok (after waiting 2 hours for the connecting flight) and then 45 minutes taxi to Pattaya ?

I prefer the 389 bus.

Edited by manarak

"They say it would take several years before an environment study could be completed while the private sector would also be reluctant to enter into a joint investment with the state."

Wise move.

"Therefore, the government may have to invest by itself if it wanted the programme to materialise."

No thanks. You can't even govern the roads.

And BTW, it's not the "government" investing.

It's the populace.

And I'll bet there's a bunch of bureaucrats salivating at how they can fill their pockets off of this one. wai2.gifwai.gif (While fleecing that public)

"Sources close to the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning said;

it would be difficult to implement and it would not receive interest from the private sector to jointly invest in the projects due to high investment costs and difficulty in turning a profit."

No worries. This pipe dream is dead in the water.

thumbsup.gif

Perhaps, stick to songwriting Uncle Too.

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

"They say it would take several years before an environment study could be completed while the private sector would also be reluctant to enter into a joint investment with the state."

Wise move.

"Therefore, the government may have to invest by itself if it wanted the programme to materialise."

No thanks. You can't even govern the roads.

And BTW, it's not the "government" investing.

It's the populace.

And I'll bet there's a bunch of bureaucrats salivating at how they can fill their pockets off of this one. wai2.gifwai.gif (While fleecing that public)

"Sources close to the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning said;

it would be difficult to implement and it would not receive interest from the private sector to jointly invest in the projects due to high investment costs and difficulty in turning a profit."

No worries. This pipe dream is dead in the water.

thumbsup.gif

Perhaps, stick to songwriting Uncle Too.

A train system like this would not be a feasible investment unless coupled with real estate development around each station.

This means the State has to acquire land around planned stations at present market prices and offer the lot for bidding by private investors.

• Like 1

I can already see the news reports of idiots trying to beat a high speed train across a RR crossing. Officials here are not smart enough to put in crossing barricades and the locals are not smart enough to know that they are there to stop traffic and protect lives. After all, they have their mini-shrines and good luck charms plastered all over their vehicles.

There should not be any RR crossing on a HST line, only tunnels and bridges, and all along the RR fences, easy as that they do it in civilized country's

• Like 1

The flight would take 30 mins from Bangkok (after waiting 2 hours for the connecting flight) and then 45 minutes taxi to Pattaya ?

I prefer the 389 bus.

Maybe binjalin means flights into U-tapao from further afield than Bangkok and an improved transport from there to Bang Saray, Jomtien and Pattaya

• Like 2

IMO, high speed rail would not be viable here for the next 2-3 decades......the studies and engineering alone will take several years......let along the construction....they have mentioned 4 1/2 years from BKK to Pattaya construction period..........and for HSR, probably close to the mark.

These people just spout out this trash for publicity purposes........they're army......no idea at all!!

Stick to conventional train transport......simple to manage and maintain......as long as quality equipment is used.

• Like 2

Here is my problen in Thailand.

1. Ockham's raizor.

2. Differential diagnosis.

Every manual for trouble shooting for Hardware respect it.

The Teaching of the Budda,

1 see what is what.

2.see what has to be done.

3..see what is possible to be done.

Rather than wait years on end while plans are poured over and costs escalate, why not develop U-Tapao Airport which is only a short hop from Pattaya.

Looking at the map on Google, there appears to be some kind of a rail link close by which could be developed to provide a viable service to transport passengers to their destinations.

I'm sure a couple of LLCs like AirAsia and Nokair will be more than happy to provide a shuttle service between Don Muaeng and/or Survanabhumi to that destination.

That in itself eliminates the cost of purchasing high speed locomotives needed to run the service.

Its 60 miles bangkok to pattaya.

Is this really worth having a high speed train for?

Further than you may wish. Actually 150km 0r about 93 miles.. Still not worth the expense of an HST.

No doubt TAT would be selling the train experience. "By train to Pattaya, you will come faster."

Far better to extend the elevated Airport Rail Link which is quite fast and improve the "maintenance".

It could even be extended to U Tapao and Sattahip.

Or follow the demise of the Airport Express.

I can already see the news reports of idiots trying to beat a high speed train across a RR crossing. Officials here are not smart enough to put in crossing barricades and the locals are not smart enough to know that they are there to stop traffic and protect lives. After all, they have their mini-shrines and good luck charms plastered all over their vehicles.

There should not be any RR crossing on a HST line, only tunnels and bridges, and all along the RR fences, easy as that they do it in civilized country's

Ahhhhh, but there's the problem. You said "civilized countries". We're talking about Thailand. No resemblance to "civilized countries" at all.

• Like 2

I prefer the 389 bus.

yes and the other week took me 3 hours + by taxi from BKK? i'd much prefer a 30 min flight with some check-in time etc.

I prefer the 389 bus.

Maybe binjalin means flights into U-tapao from further afield than Bangkok and an improved transport from there to Bang Saray, Jomtien and Pattaya

well I live in chiang mai and own a property in Pattaya so a hop from chiang mai to U-Tapao seems vastly preferable than via car from BKK