'Democratic culture is being eroded'

Lite Beer

Indeed, I don't see anyone anywhere I go that is affected by martial law, but then I don't associate with politicians or trouble makers.

The OP says there are 20 people detained......Out of 65 million.

While the other 64.9999, whatever million go about their normal business.

and 64.999999999999 cannot vote .000000000000000001 are 'given' their posts by the Junta but you are not a fan of democracy as it's not 'your country' Thais I know are downcast and 'waiting' because they ALL know this is about something we cannot discuss here

What is democracy?

For sure it is not a bunch of brainwashed sheeples being abused to fulfill the will of a greedy family clan

and being helped as well as controlled by a violent gang abusing the word democracy in their name

you can't honestly believe this? you really have fallen for the Junta spin, Goebbels would have loved it

'we are getting rid of democracy for your own good because you keep voting the wrong way' clap2.gif

the anti-democratic commentary from, apparently, western foreigners, who come from, apparently, democratic systems of government, are absolutely unbelievable... and sad as well.

• Like 2

Bangkok is a feudal system. It is running Thailand.

No worse then the shin dictatorship.

Never seen an elected dictator. Universal suffrage is far from perfect, but people usually get the government that deserve. As much as you and other despise them, the Shinawatra are hardworking and intelligent. More so than any other Thai family. They paid attention to those in the countryside while other privilege families stayed home. There are reasons to dislike them but why can't some other family challenge them ?

Iran, Venezuela, Turkey. Egypt (Morsi). And, of course, Germany, Hitler. That's just a beginning of a list of elected dictators.

your point is nonsense, but just for the record: hilter was not elected dictator. He was appointed by the power that be. They, presumably, were sorry later.

• Like 1

Thaksin govt. by BY FAR THE LEAST corrupt in the history of Thailand, according to Transparency International.

You double posted across another thread when you said the same thing elsewhere two hours prior.

Next government is bound to carry out reforms or faces punishment

Thaksin govt. was by far the least corrupt in the history of Thailand according to Transparency International

The reply there remains unchanged here:

What we do know from Transparency International is that sister Yingluck's government was the MOST CORRUPT in Thailand's history with its worst score ever.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-slips-global-corruption-survey/

and 64.999999999999 cannot vote .000000000000000001 are 'given' their posts by the Junta but you are not a fan of democracy as it's not 'your country' Thais I know are downcast and 'waiting' because they ALL know this is about something we cannot discuss here

As usual hiding behind They all know" and "Those we cant discuss"

Why am I hiding? you think I don't WANT to discuss? we have all been warned by the mods and cannot discuss these things.

It is YOU who are manipulating the fact that it is against TVF rules to discuss these things to make it appear I am 'hiding' and do not want, like most in the country, to have an open debate

Shame on you trying to goad me into being banned,

Shame on you for using the TVF rules to obfuscate and SHAME on you for such cheap tricks because you have no real argument to support the junta

The normal troll post we are used to seeing from you.

as you well know, discussing the truth in Thailand doesn't just get you banned from a forum, but much worse.

• Like 1

I don't understand why the EU, USA, Japan think martial law is a problem. Since the army is in control things are getting better very fast. Without the army it would never happen here.

In this pace Thailand might become a "normal" and healthy country in a few years, corruption has to be stopped and that's what the general is doing right now.

So let the general do his job and let the other nations take care of their own problems. I feel much better in Bangkok since the army is here.

Most modern, representative governments have a difficult time placing all their faith in just one person who is not accountable to anyone. The junta has stifled debate and hauled people in for attitude adjustment. Something that would not tolerated in the countries you just mentioned.

• Like 1

* Thai Economy Loses $12 billion in 2014 Whats Ahead for 2015? John Le Fevre, January 15, 2015.

Hilarious to see anyone quote one of the most laughable of wannabe journalists eking out an existence in Thailand.

A red shirt fan that was laughed at for claiming crowds of 300,000 for a red shirt rally when all other journalists, with far more credibility, were saying 25,000. A marginalized photojournalist existing on the fringe and now he thinks he's a financial and economic analyst.

Ha..ha.. ha.. Laughable.

cheesy.gif

Edited by uppo

What has the shins got to do with my post, Rob? "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" I hope you are not one that believes in this quote?

I believe that Thailand never had a democracy and given the things the Shins have done im sure I am right. Whoever is in power will go after their enemies, the army does it the Shins did it. Whoever is in power will try to stay in power.. army and Shins again do the same thing.

I just feel the army is less bad as the Shins so I support them. So far they have done a lot more and are far more honest as the Shins and friends. They are far from perfect but the best there is at the moment. Maybe in 100 years Thailand will have a real democracy. What they had was just window dressing and would not have passed any tests back in the west. So I don't feel that it gives the previous government any moral high ground. We can only hope what will happen after the army.. but probably more of the same of whoever is in power.

Didn't know where you were going with that 'shin' tag Rob?

I just think it is sad for the Thai people that they have to suffer with Governments that look after their own kind.

If one is more honest than the other? Don't think so. It is something that is entrenched in Thailand’s class stratum.

"Sakdina continues in the attitude the people at the top of society should not be criticised by those lower than them and creates a culture of passive acceptance of authority everywhere, no matter how unjust or corrupt. Sakdina is probably still the most powerful influence on the Thai psyche today and its legacy never more prevalent than in the Thai political crisis of the present. The PAD argument is simply the people who voted for the Democrats may have been fewer in number but by being educated middle class were of higher caste and Sakdina so their opinion should count more." https://historyplanet.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/the-last-orientals-the-thai-sakdina-system/

Could you handle not getting a vote in your country or be told that your education level means that your opinion does not count?

Ah well, let’s see what the new constitution has to say?

• Like 2

* Thai Economy Loses $12 billion in 2014 Whats Ahead for 2015? John Le Fevre, January 15, 2015.

Hilarious to see anyone quote one of the most laughable of wannabe journalists eking out an existence in Thailand.

A red shirt fan that was laughed at for claiming crowds of 300,000 for a red shirt rally when all other journalists, with far more credibility, were saying 25,000. A marginalized photojournalist existing on the fringe and now he thinks he's a financial and economic analyst.

Ha..ha.. ha.. Laughable.

cheesy.gif

the economic numbers are real and serious for the country. Academics and business analysts are in agreement that the coup has cost billions to the Thai economy, and that it is not getting better fast.

Economist: Thailand is the slowest growing SE Asia economy in 2013, 204, 2015, and 2016, and Dun & Bradstreet point to 1% growth in 2014....

• Like 2

Never seen an elected dictator. Universal suffrage is far from perfect, but people usually get the government that deserve. As much as you and other despise them, the Shinawatra are hardworking and intelligent. More so than any other Thai family. They paid attention to those in the countryside while other privilege families stayed home. There are reasons to dislike them but why can't some other family challenge them ?

Iran, Venezuela, Turkey. Egypt (Morsi). And, of course, Germany, Hitler. That's just a beginning of a list of elected dictators.

your point is nonsense, but just for the record: hilter was not elected dictator. He was appointed by the power that be. They, presumably, were sorry later.

The Nazis were voted in as the largest party in the Reichstag and through the democratic process given the right to form a government. Nonsense would seem to describe your educational attainment.

you need to read up on German history ...

• Like 1

I find the article heading humorous. I think democracy eroded along time ago and that is why the military was able to took over.

The article is hardly any kind of an analysis but more of a generalization about any situation. Sure it will affect something in the long term negatively, but it will affect other things in a positive way. Depending which business you are in. So we have to weigh the out come. I don't know what other junta have this much autonomy to the people.

The only thing that I see affected are the very people who created this mess and caused the military to take over, The politicians.

Indeed, I don't see anyone anywhere I go that is affected by martial law, but then I don't associate with politicians or trouble makers.

Downcast and 'waiting'? Living in Isaan and knowing many Thais none of which fall into your category as quoted. Thais you know are obviously in the minority, but that's your choice.

• Like 1

I find the article heading humorous. I think democracy eroded along time ago and that is why the military was able to took over.

The article is hardly any kind of an analysis but more of a generalization about any situation. Sure it will affect something in the long term negatively, but it will affect other things in a positive way. Depending which business you are in. So we have to weigh the out come. I don't know what other junta have this much autonomy to the people.

The only thing that I see affected are the very people who created this mess and caused the military to take over, The politicians.

What is democracy?

For sure it is not a bunch of brainwashed sheeples being abused to fulfill the will of a greedy family clan

and being helped as well as controlled by a violent gang abusing the word democracy in their name

What is democracy?

For sure it is not a bunch of brainwashed sheeples people living in fear of being abused to fulfill the will of a greedy family clan a new gang claiming turf.

and being helped as well as controlled by a violent gang autocrats abusing the word democracy in their name.

And will use violence at the drop of a hat if the people stand up to them.

In the words of Uncle Too:

"If I fully exercise my power, many people cannot survive"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-protests-PM-30251364.html

• Like 1

I don't understand why the EU, USA, Japan think martial law is a problem. Since the army is in control things are getting better very fast. Without the army it would never happen here.

In this pace Thailand might become a "normal" and healthy country in a few years, corruption has to be stopped and that's what the general is doing right now.

So let the general do his job and let the other nations take care of their own problems. I feel much better in Bangkok since the army is here.

Most modern, representative governments have a difficult time placing all their faith in just one person who is not accountable to anyone. The junta has stifled debate and hauled people in for attitude adjustment. Something that would not tolerated in the countries you just mentioned.

And yet many posters here love to put their faith in just one person who is not accountable to anyone.

Good article that hits the nail on the head.

"The pollsters may have become a political tool [for the continued imposition of martial law],"

The irony of using dodgy polls to legitimise the regime, whilst simultaneously prohibiting a country wide poll, seems to be lost on everyone but the junta.

The republicans and democrats in the US have been using those tricks for years...nothing new here...it's called selective transmission of information.

The only time a politician gets off his high horse and kneels in front of the voters is at election time.

• Like 1

You can't honestly believe this. Amnesty bill that the majority didn't want, but was voted through by 310 - 0 for the benefit of one unelected accused mass murderer, accused terrorist and convicted criminal fugitive. Even the Junta votes were not this one sided and they never purported to be democratic.…Sure, yingluck was elected, but it don't make this scenario right.

What is democracy?

you can't honestly believe this? you really have fallen for the Junta spin, Goebbels would have loved it

'we are getting rid of democracy for your own good because you keep voting the wrong way' clap2.gif

To get rid of democracy you must have had it in the first place and by golly gee 1/15th democratic does not count.

It has been shown by the PTP that democracy ceased post ballot box. That is where democracy should begin.

A supporter base was being manipulated by unsustainable unaffordable policies to ensure electoral victory. A dictatorship is appealing to a very narrow supporter base in this case, rice farmers. A democracy is an ability to appeal to a broad section of the population and not just rice farmers.

The majority of Thai's realize this and to make it a reality, reform is needed before the next election lest in 10 to 20 years time that narrow voter base is manipulated again and we go back to square one. I cannot speak for the Thai's and I don't purport to, but if the PTP win after the reform my wife who is a supporter of all the principles of democracy would herald the win a success of democracy knowing full well there will be no abuse of power, no blatant corruption, no ramming through amnesties against the will of the majority and no telling voters "you will get what you want when you vote for us" and as is indicated by the brutal repression of peaceful protesters that is more akin to Iraq than Thailand where the UDD supporters laugh and cheer when they realize the opposition have been killed and maimed. That's not the democracy I am used to.

I look forward to a true real democracy. The one that is defined in the dictionary. Not the principle called election. People always harp on about elections as if that is it. Start finish and middle of democracy. Yet they stay silent on the abuses that the PTP perpetuated when they held power. Whether it is ignoring the fact or ignorance is still out with the jury, but suffice to say only one principle is only ever repeated here. One. Democracy is more than one.

Bizzaro world is when millions come out to protest. The biggest protests in Thai history and they are dismissed as the minority. When 3 students hold up 3 fingers in front of Prayuth they are the overwhelming majority.

​Lets have an election you may say? Why…If they did and the PTP didn't win you have already got the narrative lined up that the Junta have rigged the polls or some other wonderful excuse to disrespect the majority.

So many inaccuracies it's impossible to address.

Fact is, they had a democratically elected government, but the losers, egged on by corrupt courts and a corrupt army, violently seized government buildings seriously hampering the workings of government, then violently disrupted democratic elections (despite the promises of the general to protect said elections), deemed necessary by the removal from office of the PM, by the corrupt courts on the flimsiest of excuses. Of course this was all according to plan, the elites/Prem/Generals will never let democracy flourish, they have no wish to share the trough. What's needed is a Chavez/Gadaffi type to clear out the fascists and start running the country for the good of the Thai people and not just the old order.

• Like 1

Ha..ha.. ha.. Laughable.

cheesy.gif

the economic numbers are real and serious for the country. Academics and business analysts are in agreement that the coup has cost billions to the Thai economy, and that it is not getting better fast.

Economist: Thailand is the slowest growing SE Asia economy in 2013, 204, 2015, and 2016, and Dun & Bradstreet point to 1% growth in 2014....

Any links for your unlinked, alleged news source Economist quote?

Not that we distrust your paraphrasing or wonder if it actually exists.

I agree with the other poster who says, democracy has really not been real in the past either.

The recent government seemed to be too attached to a past Thai PM.

Maybe being related to someone who was in power in the recent past is hard to

stay distant enough to make the Thai population believe that big brother was no influence

at all.

I was going to say that I cannot believe that there are still so many people who

show support of the red party, but then I also have some relatives that are

supporters, so go figure!

I am just glad that the current PM is not a big red supporter.

Ha..ha.. ha.. Laughable.

cheesy.gif

yes, but since both articles/documents also discuss things that are illegal to discuss in Thailand, I did not post them.

but the economic impact to Thailand has been reported rather broadly. Whether you agree with those reports or not, I am surprised that you are not aware of them.

• Like 1

I agree with the other poster who says, democracy has really not been real in the past either.

stay distant enough to make the Thai population believe that big brother was no influence

at all.

I was going to say that I cannot believe that there are still so many people who

How was democracy not real? Thais voted in free and fair elections as per the 1997 Peoples Constitution, the Reds won time after time after time and each time they won they formed government and began enacting their policies - i.e. democracy.

You're saying past PM's lacked legitimacy because democracy wasn't real yet you readily support an unelected anti democratic PM because...........he is not a big red supporter.

Seems to me your issue is not with democracy but rather with being an extreme right wing nutter, you are bad-mouthing Thai democracy to provide a fig leaf of cover for your fascist tendencies.

So no different to Yingluck, she was appointed as well. Unlike popular belief she wasn't elected as she wasn't a constituency MP just party list. She was appointed PM after a parliamentary vote!

at all.

How was democracy not real? Thais voted in free and fair elections as per the 1997 Peoples Constitution, the Reds won time after time after time and each time they won they formed government and began enacting their policies - i.e. democracy.

You're saying past PM's lacked legitimacy because democracy wasn't real yet you readily support an unelected anti democratic PM because...........he is not a big red supporter.

Seems to me your issue is not with democracy but rather with being an extreme right wing nutter, you are bad-mouthing Thai democracy to provide a fig leaf of cover for your fascist tendencies.

In a free and fair election there is no vote buying (all sides have done it)

Also the "red's " didn't win time after time, they didn't exist until 2009-2010 bought into existence by Shinawatra money.

Now some may be an entity by themselves and I wish them luck in making their lives better. But certainly 2010 they were bought and paid for!

The Shinawatra clan in various guises won the elections. The first one in 2001 was a breath of fresh air for Thailand with high hopes for the future, then unfortunately it progressed into a power hungry me, me, me attitude!

It's no mistake that only one PM under the Shinawatra Thai rak Thai, People's party, Phua Thai evolutions hasn't been family .. and Samak was a huge mistake for Thaksin.

Edited by casualbiker

So no different to Yingluck, she was appointed as well. Unlike popular belief she wasn't elected as she wasn't a constituency MP just party list. She was appointed PM after a parliamentary vote!

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on who was the elected "dictator of Venezuela,

if you're referring to the late great Hugo Chavez, read on.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/president-hugo-chavez-a-21st-century-renaissance-man/5326842

at all.

In a free and fair election there is no vote buying (all sides have done it)

Also the "red's " didn't win time after time, they didn't exist until 2009-2010 bought into existence by Shinawatra money.

Now some may be an entity by themselves and I wish them luck in making their lives better. But certainly 2010 they were bought and paid for!

The Shinawatra clan in various guises won the elections. The first one in 2001 was a breath of fresh air for Thailand with high hopes for the future, then unfortunately it progressed into a power hungry me, me, me attitude!

It's no mistake that only one PM under the Shinawatra Thai rak Thai, People's party, Phua Thai evolutions hasn't been family .. and Samak was a huge mistake for Thaksin.

Vote buying effecting the outcome of Thai elections = fig leaf

Extreme levels of Shinawatra corruption = fig leaf

Thailand is changing, denying the citizens their rights is the only way the old guard can cling to their exploitive and corrupt ways - the oppression can only last for so long until the good guys come up trumps.

Better get your tickets to Nth Korea sorted, in the not to distant future your kind will no longer be welcome

Ha..ha.. ha.. Laughable.

cheesy.gif

yes, but since both articles/documents also discuss things that are illegal to discuss in Thailand, I did not post them.

So actually that's a no then and we're left with trusting you to paraphrase an article that doesn't have proof of existence.

In other words, if you can't link a quoted reference, probably best not to quote it in the first place.

wink.png

Edited by uppo

So actually that's a no then and we're left with trusting you to paraphrase an article that doesn't have proof of existence.

In other words, if you can't link a quoted reference, probably best not to quote it in the first place.

wink.png

Google "thailand's economy the high cost of stability", you should have no trouble finding it.

• Like 1