motorbike need to be with me when I register?

happysanook

I use the bike when I'm in CM, 2 hours from where I live during the week. Can I leave the bike in CM and register it in my town with all the paperwork, or does it physically need to be with me?

Also, the bike was purchased 2nd hand. I have all the paperwork, green book etc.. Is the transfer of ownership done at the registration office as well, or is that a separate division?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by happysanook

yes the bike should be with you when you change ownership, they have to check VIN numbers against the bike and green book.

Remember that you can only change the name at the DLT where the bike is registered. IE If your bike is registered in Chiiang Mai you cannot change ownership in Bangkok, (UNLESS YOU USE AN AGENT)

( . . . )

Remember that you can only change the name at the DLT where the bike is registered. IE If your bike is registered in Chiiang Mai you cannot change ownership in Bangkok, (UNLESS YOU USE AN AGENT)

Ignore this as it's simply not true. I've done it twice recently.

Op: if you are registering it in a new province then you should take the bike with you. If it's in the same province then probably not, but I'd take it with me anyway.

( . . . )

Op: if you are registering it in a new province then you should take the bike with you. If it's in the same province then probably not, but I'd take it with me anyway.

so you are saying if his bike is registered in Chiang mai he can transfer the name in Banglamung, no way

( . . . )

so you are saying if his bike is registered in Chiang mai he can transfer the name in Banglamung, no way

I bought my 1st Thai bike in Phuket and did a transfer there, but we inquired about transferring in our province and were told it's not a problem, but the procedure was a lot longer with more paperwork involved.

I'd say macknife is correct and what you say doesn't make sense, sorry.

( . . . )

Yes he can, and you will find many here on the bike forum that have done it. The bike would get a new plate with the new province.

( . . . )

Yes he can, and you will find many here on the bike forum that have done it. The bike would get a new plate with the new province.

no he cant, to re register the bike he would have to go to CHONBURI, the main office not Banglamung

Speaking of chiang mai. I bought a used bike there and transferred to my name with Banglamung address. It takes a few days there but the dlt mailed me the book & tax tag. So CM plates with Nongprue Banglamung address.

The bike is still registered in Chiang mai, your address means nothing

no he cant, to re register the bike he would have to go to CHONBURI, the main office not Banglamung

I have no idea where Banglamung is, as you brought it up not the OP. You first mentioned Bangkok, and claimed it couldn't be done for a Chiang Mai registered bike, well it can. It seems you now know this as you suggest it can be done in Chonburi main office.

I once bought a bike new from a dealer in Pattaya. Eventually I wanted to move the registration to Bangkok to make annual tax disc renewals easier since I live in Bangkok and not Pattaya. When I did this I had to get a new Bangkok plate and they needed to see the bike to check the VIN on the bike's frame against the green book as someone mentioned as being necessary already. So they do need to see the bike. I was concerned that my loud aftermarket exhaust was going to cause some problems but they weren't interested in that nor did they ask me to startup the engine. I remember for some reason though it couldn't all be done in one day. I had to go back a day or two later to pick up the new plate and registration, but can't remember why. Bear in mind the greenbook was already in my name. So it wasn't a change of ownership. I was just moving the registration from Chonburi to Bangkok. Cost me only a couple hundred Baht in total if I remember correctly.

No you don't need to get new LP.

I bought a bike in Phuket, transferred it right there on my name and to my address in Chaiyaphoom, already renewed the tax 2 times locally and still riding around with Phuket LP!

If you do not get new LP you can only change the name in the province it is registered

EG: The bike is registered in Chiang mai, you have to do the name change in Chiang mai, if you want the registration to move provinces you have to change LP also