Rough guide to cost of building a house please

I had a 3 bedroom house built 5 years ago, up here in the North East, by a local builder on my wife's land (one and a half football pitches) for Baht 2.6m.This for the foundations, pillars ( 76 in total !!)and main structure. Brick / Conbloc cavity walls and he provided all the labour for tiling and painting. I purchased all floor and roof tiles. I sub contracted the chippy and electrical work. The plans were drawn up by an architect but the builder didn't know how to read them !! I fitted all the plumbing for the 5 toilets, three bathrooms ,2 kicthens .laundry room. 2 RO water filter systems, the main pump house with storage tank , two 2000 ltr.septic tank systems with drain fields and most important of all a sink in my bar. The costs were mounting rapidly ! The 2 meter perimeter wall (almost 1/2 a kilometer) and the 70 meter drive cost another Baht 1.7 m. Rule No. 1..... Cost the main items, Rule No.2...stick to a budget . Rule No.3......find a builder who knows what he's doing and his workers know what 'square' means ! The brickies had never built a cavity wall or used Conbloc . I showed them the maker's DVD. I showed them how to build the cavity wall using wall ties at 1m intervals along and up. 'We can't build the inner and outer walls together'' they said....... 'OK then, build the outer wall and place the wall ties where I said'..... Some of you will probably have guessed what happened next. Because the wall ties didn't line up with a course of Conbloc the ties were bent out of the way and the wall continued up !! The electricians did not know what a 'ring main ' was. They were self taught and used by the builder for all his other builds. I sent them packing. Rule No.4..... seek a qualified electrician... difficult I know ! However I did find one and he was excellent. Rule No. 5..... if you haven't applied Rules 1 & 2 then don't look at your building supplier's receipts ! Five years on and I still haven't. The 6 mtr wide arch over the main gate was too difficult for the builder so I and my wife's cousin built one. The swimming pool cost another Baht 1 million. Good luck with your build and remember the rules ! Luckily I don't know where the receipts are. I will attach a heli-cam shot when I find out how to.

Aside from cost is there a reason no-one seems to build anything upcountry that could be considered modern?

I see all these boring spanish style villas, but nothing built with steel and glass.

I have seen some great villas around the coasts and in Bangkok, so I know it can be done.

Neither steel or glass are very good insulators, and neither are particularly cheap either. You certainly won't be using these materials if building to a budget, or if you want a cool house.

Once you get to 1.5Mbht for just building a 2-3 bed house, you must start to seriously consider who is stealing from you.

When talking houses, number of bedrooms is not valid measure...

My guest house has only one bedroom, but is 190sqm, for example ;)

• Like 1

Aside from cost is there a reason no-one seems to build anything upcountry that could be considered modern?

I see all these boring spanish style villas, but nothing built with steel and glass.

I have seen some great villas around the coasts and in Bangkok, so I know it can be done.

Lack of skilled builders. They know how to build very basic houses, but they know nothing about steel and glass. Generally "the coast" and bangkok is wealthier, so some people can afford expensive houses, which in turn attracts skilled builders, who can build those houses.

It is for the same reason there are no luxury car repair shops or dealers upcountry. There is no demand.

ke? There are Benz dealers all over the country, and people with money all over too. You need to get out more I think ;)

• Like 1

It’s all depending on where you are building, your choice of materials, and your finishing.

2 million for 80 square meters is 25,000 baht per square meter, and that sounds fair for a descent quality construction at for example a major holiday destination, like Hua Hin or Phuket or...

Up Isaan you can build cheaper, probably around 15,000 baht per square meter with good materials, like comfort blocks and insulation under roof tiles and over ceilings to stay cool; i.e. in the vicinity of 1 million baht for 80 square meters.

Often comes a bit extra on top, even carefully planned; and prices has also gone up compared to some few years ago, so the earlier usually counted 10,000 baht per square meter may not work anymore.

Wish you good luck with your project.

smile.png

It’s all depending on where you are building, your choice of materials, and your finishing.
2 million for 80 square meters is 25,000 baht per square meter, and that sounds fair for a descent quality construction at for example a major holiday destination, like Hua Hin or Phuket or...
Up Isaan you can build cheaper, probably around 15,000 baht per square meter with good materials, like comfort blocks and insulation under roof tiles and over ceilings to stay cool; i.e. in the vicinity of 1 million baht for 80 square meters.
Often comes a bit extra on top, even carefully planned; and prices has also gone up compared to some few years ago, so the earlier usually counted 10,000 baht per square meter may not work anymore.
Wish you good luck with your project.
smile.png

25,000/sqm buys you pure esoteric luxury... everywhere except Phuket, Pattaya and the Islands.

• Like 1

Just don't get sucked into the farang builder thing. Thais do all the work so you do not get better work done. There are a few things they show to them and the foreman may be pretty good but he can't build the house themselves. The farang cannot supervise them, so you end up with a slightly better looking product with all sorts of problems.

Plumbing, electric, paint, trim, etc that I still have to fix. Got a good portion finished, more to do on a 1 1/2 yo house. Warranty you say? 5555555555555555555

They come out and play and never fix anything.

If you want cool, use Q-con instead of concrete block. I used 20 cm block and could not be happier. Cool and quiet. Not that much more than concrete and I suspect the difference in the electric bill will make up for it.

They also have 10 cm blocks. I can't vouch for the cooling and noise reduction but it still has to be better than concrete.

I am presently building a 600 sq meter boutique resort (6 bedrooms, 6 kitchens, 11 bathrooms 5 living areas) 5 one bedroom suites, 1 studio and a gym/entertaiment room. It's being built with double q-con walls with insulation in the cavity, windows are 12 mm vs 6mm.

Originally it was 400 sq meters with a bid of 3,200,000 baht (8,000/sq meter) ....have pushed out some walls and added the bridge and 2 rooms atop. Cost now has been pushed to 4,500,000 baht (7,500/sq meter)

As has been pointed out in this thread costs from different areas can vary to build. I cannot vouch for that. What I do know is that on the eastern seaboard with a good builder my costs are indicated as above for the building that is shown below.

Key to any building project is #1....get an HONEST builder who knows what he is doing ...AND watch them like a hawk.

If you've never built before or do not know building practices....BE VERY CAREFUL as you will be viewed as a pigeon.

Good luck

post-190189-0-10191000-1424105524_thumb.

• Like 2

You can built it but u can not own it,under these current thai property laws...

So you might wonder how interesting will this investment be for you in comparison with a condo for example.

Sorry you are wrong.

You can't own the land.

You can own the building.

Yes you correct.

The Op can own the building but that building will sit on some else their land :)

I once found this - rough calculation:

8-9K/sqm for very, very basic finish using the cheapest materials

10-15K/sqm for 'standard' finish

15K-25K/sqm for high standard finish

Not sure where you "found" your guide ...but as I pointed out in my previous post you can do a "high standard finish" project for 8,000 baht sq meter.

double walled q-con with insulation between the walls, 12mm vs 6mm glass AND double paned, 330 concrete premixed with #16 rebar vs #12 rebar and top of the line looking tiles throughout....it can be done....I'm doing it now!whistling.gif

• Like 1

Not sure where you "found" your guide ...but as I pointed out in my previous post you can do a "high standard finish" project for 8,000 baht sq meter.

double walled q-con with insulation between the walls, 12mm vs 6mm glass AND double paned, 330 concrete premixed with #16 rebar vs #12 rebar and top of the line looking tiles throughout....it can be done....I'm doing it now!whistling.gif

I think there's a misunderstanding here with definitions...

To most people here, I think "high standard" includes things like marble, precious metals, handcrafted woodwork, etc - i.e. actually needing real stonemasons, real carpenters etc.

If the building on the left side of your photo is representative, there's a few quite obvious things it's missing in order to qualify for what I'd class as medium level finish, e.g. window/door casings, soffit crown moldings, stonework, siding, wall/accent lighting etc.

• Like 2

To most people here, I think "high standard" includes things like marble, precious metals, handcrafted woodwork, etc - i.e. actually needing real stonemasons, real carpenters etc.

If the building on the left side of your photo is representative, there's a few quite obvious things it's missing in order to qualify for what I'd class as medium level finish, e.g. window/door casings, soffit crown moldings, stonework, siding, wall/accent lighting etc.

Your point is well taken...thumbsup.gif

As for my definition a quality standard, it not only includes some of those things you mentioned but also how the "bones" of the building is built which to me is more important than some of the "fluff" finish touches..... which btw the buildings will have as they are not finished yet.

Here is a representative picture of a bathroom of which there are 11.

post-190189-0-72577600-1424149419_thumb.

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Your point is well taken...thumbsup.gif

As for my definition a quality standard, it not only includes some of those things you mentioned but also how the "bones" of the building is built which to me is more important than some of the "fluff" finish touches..... which btw the buildings will have as they are not finished yet.

ood

Yep, the way you build the structure is important too.. e.g. using Mor Or Gor steel, high compressive strength concrete, double block walls, high grade rendering mortar, even better quality gypsum etc. Surprisingly (or maybe not so for you) is that the difference between using cheap materials and good quality isn't that much - it only adds maybe 5-10% to the total construction price.

Just as important are the skills of the workers, and making sure that forms are well made, concrete is properly rattled, concrete is properly cured, mortars properly mixed, levels checked, walls straight etc. That doesn't cost even one Baht extra, if you find the right team ;)

• Like 1

1 million upwards depending on the materials you want to be used.

a red brick, corrugated roof house = 10,000 baht a metre area to include walk ways and balcony's.

double skinned insulated walls, with a nice tiled roof 15,000 baht a metre.

you supply all materials about 2,500 to 3,000 baht a metre.

when getting prices check on the materials being priced for.

Forget the double skinned walls.Use Superblock,very cost effective.Also insulate the roof.I hardly use the ac.

Also Isan is getting expensive.

Contractors (farmers) are already asking 2000 baht per day for themselves when doing a construction job.

2 million baht is not going to be enough.

Be very careful !! I have been building for 7 years now.

At this point my advice would be rent.

I rekon you added a zero there mate,i'd be working for 2k/day.

• Like 1

Also Isan is getting expensive.

Contractors (farmers) are already asking 2000 baht per day for themselves when doing a construction job.

2 million baht is not going to be enough.

Be very careful !! I have been building for 7 years now.

At this point my advice would be rent.

I rekon you added a zero there mate,i'd be working for 2k/day.

I'd be talking to the Burmese builders, they will accept 150bht a day.

(that's what my moobaan developer pays them)

Just don't get sucked into the farang builder thing. Thais do all the work so you do not get better work done. There are a few things they show to them and the foreman may be pretty good but he can't build the house themselves. The farang cannot supervise them, so you end up with a slightly better looking product with all sorts of problems.

Plumbing, electric, paint, trim, etc that I still have to fix. Got a good portion finished, more to do on a 1 1/2 yo house. Warranty you say? 5555555555555555555

They come out and play and never fix anything.

I used a thai contractor and he repaired a leak in my roof for free 2 years later. I planned to pay him for the repair because of how long it has been but he did it for free. Yes I was surprised.

a red brick, corrugated roof house = 10,000 baht a metre area to include walk ways and balcony's.

Forget the double skinned walls.Use Superblock,very cost effective.Also insulate the roof.I hardly use the ac.

Standard 7.5cm AAC blocks are definitely better than standard 6cm red bricks - but double red brick cavity walls are absolutely more effective at heat and sound insulation than a single course of standard AAC blocks..

The best of both worlds is using 7.5cm AAC blocks for the outer course, then 6cm red bricks for the inner course. Then you get extremely good insulation, and can actually hang things on the inside walls securely wink.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Never had a problem hanging anything on AAC block walls to include a very heavy wooden carving and all my kitchen cabinets

The main advantage of standard 6cm red bricks is that Thai's are more used to working with them and they don't need special mortar

Get the experience of a few more houses, and you will see. Glad to hear you've been lucky so far though smile.png

Properly laid and rendered AAC has only ~2mm-10mm render, and holds anchors very poorly. Indeed, it's only the render itself that offers any real mechanical strength.

Edited by IMHO

At the moment it is less expensive to use double 7.5cm AAC block walls than 20cm block walls, so even with Superblock (an AAC block) double skinned walls have a place.

When I am drilling a hole in my wall to install an anchor bolt I guarantee you I can tell when I have passed the render and am drilling into the block. No need to experience " a few more houses "

I would be very surprised if you couldn't tell the difference - AAC has the mechanical strength of butter when faced with a hammer drill ;)