Phuket considers making 129 illegal tuk-tuks legal

webfact

Phuket considers making 129 illegal tuk-tuks legal
Nattha Thepbamrung

1424065054_1-org.jpg
There were three solutions suggested in the meeting, but none were agreed.

PHUKET: -- Phuket authorities are considering legalising a further 129 tuk-tuks following reports from the Phuket Tuk-Tuk Union that the operators of the tuk-tuks have been working illegally for around a decade.

Details of the move were revealed at a meeting chaired by Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosuthirak on Friday (February 13).

President of the Phuket Tuk-Tuk Union, Darun Suksai said, “These tuk-tuk drivers have not registered with any company or the union. I have gathered a list of them and wish to put them in the system.

“I have also ordered GPS for these tuk-tuks so they can reach the service standard.”

However, V/Gov Somkiet offered another idea.

“In 2002, there was a mob of illegal tuk-tuk drivers who gathered at the Provincial Hall. At that time we legalised around 300 more operators. There was a promise made that no more tuk-tuks would be added in the future.

“Authorities have to follow the law not to legalise more illegal tuk-tuks,” said V/Gov Somkiet.

Meanwhile, Teerayut Prasertpol, Chief the Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) made a suggestion about the the additional tuk-tuks saying that the authorities will check the current 1,300 registered tuk-tuks to see how many of them are not really working.

"I'm sure that there are some of them that are registered but not working. We will replace these with the 129 new operators.

“However, I will have to negotiate with them and the three companies (who hold the driving permits and with whom the operators are registered with).

"In our next meeting, we will bring the three companies and the union to discuss this together to find a final solution," he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-considers-making-129-illegal-tuk-tuks-legal-51037.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-16

Phuket authorities are considering legalising a further 129 tuk-tuks following reports from the Phuket Tuk-Tuk Union that the operators of the tuk-tuks,

have been working illegally for around a decade.blink.png

“These tuk-tuk drivers have not registered with any company or the union."

Right.

So let's reward them.

facepalm.gif

“Authorities have to follow the law not to legalise more illegal tuk-tuks,” said V/Gov Somkiet.

thumbsup.gif

Phuket tuk-tuk means:

extremely high priced but under serviced 30 years old transit car service, and if you have any complain, please keep it, cause the break your head and get 500 B fine or less ...

Another 129 tuk tuks, really? There are too many here now, they should be reducing them not bringing more.

The more tuk-tuks that sit around and watch coach buses full of package holiday makers, drive past them, the better. biggrin.png

On that basis, I hope 1000 more tuk-tuks become legal. biggrin.png

Dealings with tuc tuc drivers is surely in the top 5 of negative experiences for tourists in phuket.

Why the major of patong has not implemented the same system as in pattaya..Nobody complains there..What has that new major been doing then?

Why not ban all tuks tuks and have small city buses..much better...

If these fail then make sure each tuk tuk as a meter so no longer needs to be any dealings negotiations..

reduce the amount of tuk tuks cause they only standing still and max have 1-2 rides a day cause people hate going with them..

Tourists dont much make return visits to phuket cause public transport in Phuket it is non existing..

I sure the situation will be the same in five years of time...as five years ago the situation was the same also..

• Like 1

Western business model: Regulate the taxis (tuktuks) in terms of the number of available licenses and fares. In the event that there are too many taxis in a particular area, making it difficult to earn a living, either move on to another area, or quit the business.

Phuket business model: No regulation of tuktuks. In the event that there are too many tuktuks in a particular area, drivers can monopolize all street parking areas waiting 2-3 hours for a customer. Form an association of drivers to fix the fares at an astronomical rate so that only 2 or 3 fares per day are necessary in order to earn a living.

• Like 2

So the Thai still think that quality tourists from Norway and Sweden like to sit in a doghouse like that?

Going from a Volvo/Benz/BMW/Audi to a tuktuk without a metre.....cheesy.gifclap2.giftongue.pngtongue.png

And it isn't even a real tuktuk tongue.pngcheesy.gif

Edited by Thian

Great news, 129 Tuk Tuks made legal, now all we need is another 100 Jet skis made legal (but not operate off the beach of course) This why Phuket 5 star holiday Island, farang so lucky have lots of tuk tuk, no have to walk far for get one. This we can do as we now have 'propa' sanitation and sewerage system with clean water courses, no flooding, all roads now good and safe, safety zones in place so no danger to tourist - anywhere, have lost of space on beach for get sun burn, farang Happy clap2.gif

I wonder who owns the Tuk-Tuk company? Remember in Thailand, no transparency!

Which tuk tuk company? There's no company mentioned in the OP just 129, presumably independent, unregistered taxis.

Remember in ThaiVisa no comprehension or logic!

What I find pretty funny is it sounds like these 129 aren't in a "co-op, (or union)", so someone is missing out on 129 monthly payments, thus making them illegal. Once they join the union, it's all good. If the Army couldn't sort out these thugs to a satisfactory conclusion, I see no hope for Phuket's public transportation in the foreseeable future.

GPS installed in the "illegal" tuk tuks? That's a pipe dream!

What I find pretty funny is it sounds like these 129 aren't in a "co-op, (or union)", so someone is missing out on 129 monthly payments, thus making them illegal. Once they join the union, it's all good.

Yes of course.. I thought that would be given..

Thats 129 more 10,000s per month paid into this 'non company'..

And then the problems solved ;)

I wonder who owns the Tuk-Tuk company? Remember in Thailand, no transparency!

Which tuk tuk company? There's no company mentioned in the OP just 129, presumably independent, unregistered taxis.

Remember in ThaiVisa no comprehension or logic!

If you substitute 'company' for co-operative its perfectly understandable.

5 or so years ago there were 600 tuktuks in Patong, each paying the keesin family 10,000 thb per month to operate.. If that 6 million baht a month revenue stream isnt a 'company' but a 'cooperative' in your world, then OK.. But thats the meat of the issue..

Secondly a large proportion of those tuktuks are on a local tabien baan, which means they can vote, and a subset of them are prepared to do thuggery when requested especially as the above fees and connections mean that thuggery will probably not be prosecuted..

So that 'company' now has revenue, connections, political clout, and enforcement. I mean, you dont really think that these are really 'independent' do you ?? ThaiVisa, no comprehension ??

I was wondering, if in addition to the "co-op", if one of the 3 un-named companies might be pisona, or another keesin empire business.