can i buy a train ticket at hualumphong for the thonburi station train to kanchanaburi?

chubby

can i buy a train ticket at hualumphong for the thonburi station train to kanchanaburi?

i'd like to buy one in advance, but don't want to go out to thonburi to do it , or there possibly a way to buy one online :) or elsewhere , thx

The above post is correct. You can purchase a ticket for any train up to 60 days in advance at any SRT station.

However, there is absolutely, positively no need at all to purchase a ticket in advance for the Kan trains as these are 3rd class with no reserved seating. Just turn up on the day and buy a ticket (note that you can catch an earlier train to Taling Chan and get on the Kan train there to save going to Thonburi - depending on which train you want to take)

It would only be the weekend tourist train to Nam Tok that you would want to purchase a ticket.

thanks, looks to me, like there is a 0700 and a 1300 train, on Friday from Thonburi station.

not sure what you meant by 'which train you want to take' ?

did you mean taking a train from hualomphong station to taling chan , and then changing? if so about how often do those taling chan trains run, seems like maybe easier to just taxi out to thonburi station, though 0700 is a bit early .....

won't be using the tourist train, but may ride up to nam tok/end of the line, and then back to k-buri town for the ?100baht?

The above post is correct. You can purchase a ticket for any train up to 60 days in advance at any SRT station.

However, there is absolutely, positively no need at all to purchase a ticket in advance for the Kan trains as these are 3rd class with no reserved seating. Just turn up on the day and buy a ticket (note that you can catch an earlier train to Taling Chan and get on the Kan train there to save going to Thonburi - depending on which train you want to take)

It would only be the weekend tourist train to Nam Tok that you would want to purchase a ticket.

You canNOT buy these tickets in advance, as they are for day-sale only. As this is 3d cl ;local, its free for Thai and since some years an inflated farang price of 100 bt.

To go only to Kan take a bus/van, they also leave from across that maligned Khao Sarn along Ratchdamnen-110 bt, 11th ride free.

There IS the odd train from HLpong-of course also serving Samsen-bangsue, to ward Nakorn Pathom, but double check times. As for ages the Kan trains have left more like 7.40//45//50 and ditto 13xx. Also note that Thonburi OLD station along river is not on the tracks since at least some 4-5 years now-your map is likely much out of date and taxidrivers will not know that. Tell them to go SriRath hospital and get off at the viaduct. This thus also means the riverboats are not of much use.

In short a train to Kan is only for amusement value and most farang are misled by seat61 not wanting to tell any negative about trains in general or likely those here in Th in particulair-as so many posters also like to do.

It's definitely worth it. The carriages are wooden and quaint. I was amazed at the constant sweeping of the floor. There's more space than a minivan. And the views through the windows are interesting.

The only think I don't like is the discriminatory pricing.