Importing T-shirts From Thailand To Malaysia

Dear All,

I'm a Malaysian who would import T-shirts from Thailand (Bangkok) to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) by land (which I assumed is cheaper). I already got the source from Baiyoke 2 (Bangkok) but did not know 1) where to find forwarder by land 2) about tax imposed by Thai authorities 3) transport fee (from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur) 4) the rules & regulations of importing t-shirts to Malaysia to sell 5) whether I had left out anything important.

Anyone can help me on this please.

Thanks.

Darryl Lee

On my last journey from bkk to panag by train i got talking to a woman who claimed she was travelling with two incredibly large boxes (think large industrial freezer) full of copied jeans. She was not the owner but said she was traveling with the jeans to make sure they got in to malaysia ok and she would be met in malaysia at padang besar - she said she lived near to padang besar. Sounded dodgy to me.

When i came into malaysia last time it states on the form that you can only have three new items of clothing so i think 2 incredibly large boxes of copied jeans may not be legally compliant. Also there seems to be some big changes taking place in malaysia with respect to intellectual prperty thefe - saw a store making a public apology in the star for selling copied timberland boots - and warning people doing similar to be ware. In penang even the copied cd/dvd shops are only opening i the morning as the police visit in the afternoon

Best guess is to talk to the malaysian government if you want the legallly correct answer. However there may be some other ways...

Well Bob thanks for your reply, the T-Shirts I've planned to import in are legal in Malaysia and I don't plan to smuggle it in illegally, that's why I'm trying to find out the legal procedure from thailand authorities as this is my 1st time dealing with Thailand wholesalers.

I can't really get info from my supplier because they have not done any dealings with any malaysian before.

I already got the source from Baiyoke 2 (Bangkok) but did not know 1) where to find forwarder by land 2) about tax imposed by Thai authorities 3) transport fee (from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur) 4) the rules & regulations of importing t-shirts to Malaysia to sell 5) whether I had left out anything important.

Apart from sensitive items, Thailand does not restrict or tax exports. Generally, the taxing and restrictions are done by the Custom Authorities in the importing country - it this case, malaysia.

You should contact a customs agent in Malaysia for advice about the relevant tax issues.

Do you have a Thai company? If not, you can't really act as the exporter. You can have your supplier be the exporter, Issuing an Invoice to your address in Malaysia, with you being the Malaysian importer. I do not know the Malaysian laws, but in most coutries you need to be at least registered for VAT in order to perform a commercial import.

Thanks for the info. To answer you, I do not have any company registered in Thailand. Do you know any trustworthy land forwarder that I can use to transport the goods to Kuala Lumpur? Because I've have been looking around but mostly are by air or by sea which is quite expensive.

Darryl, if I were in your situation I would look for a shipping agent in Kuala Lumpur and talk to him.

He can first of all advise you whether land transportation is really cheaper than sea or air. And he can arrange through a shipping agent in Bangkok to pick up the goods, handle the export documentation, ship the goods to KL, handle the import documentation and delivery to you. This way, you can handle everything through the KL shipping agent and pay everything to him.

The Bangkok manufacturer will only have to prepare an invoice, a packing list and probably also a dispatch order for the BKK shipping agent, who will assist the manufacturer in this as necessary.

--------------

Maestro

Darryl, if I were in your situation I would look for a shipping agent in Kuala Lumpur and talk to him.

He can first of all advise you whether land transportation is really cheaper than sea or air. And he can arrange through a shipping agent in Bangkok to pick up the goods, handle the export documentation, ship the goods to KL, handle the import documentation and delivery to you. This way, you can handle everything through the KL shipping agent and pay everything to him.

The Bangkok manufacturer will only have to prepare an invoice, a packing list and probably also a dispatch order for the BKK shipping agent, who will assist the manufacturer in this as necessary.

--------------

Maestro

Well maestro, I really appreciate your advice because I've never thought of that before. All this while I only focus on seaching around in Thailand to source for the best price. I think this will help me to solve my problems.

Thanks.

hi darryl,

check the malaysian yellow pages for forwarders and compare prices. they will handle all the paperworks and tax matters for you. if i'm not mistaken you need an export agent in BKK to prepare outbound papers for your goods (please check this) which includes the important gross price which will be used to issue the tax papers, or the shop/factory should prepare this.

Malaysian tax for garment or textiles are roughly 30%. i so far have only used land.

PM me if you need more info, i help where i can.

• 2 years later...