Three French tourist injured after Phuket tour van flips

webfact

Three French tourist injured after Phuket tour van flips
Eakkapop Thongtub

1424167325_1-org.jpg
The three were lucky not to have suffered more severe injuries.

Phuket: -- Three French tourists were injured after the van they were travelling in crashed on the way to the airport (February 17).

At 1:15pm, Tahchatchai Investigator, Lt Col Watcharin Jiratikarnwiwat, received a call to investigate an accident where a mini-van had overturned on the central reservation of Baan Meang Mai – Airport Rd, about 350 metres from Thalang Technical College.

Upon arrival at the scene, police and rescue workers saw the wrecked Phuket registered Toyota mini-van belonging to the Persona Travel Company.

The van crashed on a curved part of the road and taking out a lamp post in the process.

The three injured French tourists have all been taken to Thalang Hospital. One had suffered a broken leg, one a broken arm and the other only minor injuries.

The victims were later named as Yassine Bouhou, 31, Frank Andre Alfred Leguelle, 33, and Sertac Akkurt, 26.

The van driver, Piboon Uthairangsi, 42, from Pattalung, said he picked up the three tourists from Patong and was on his way to drop them off at Phuket International Airport. He was not injured in the crash.

“I lost the control of the vehicle on the bend when my the right tyre burst. The van flipped in the air and landed on the central reservation,” he said.

Police took the van and driver to Thachatchai station and the driver faces possible charges of reckless driving.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/three-french-tourist-injured-after-phuket-tour-van-flips-51056.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-18

“I lost the control of the vehicle on the bend when my the right tyre burst. The van flipped in the air and landed on the central reservation,” he said.

Looks like it was a spare tyre already on the right front. Perhaps if he had been driving at a more sedate speed he might have avoided the crash whistling.gif

Well spotted. All van drivers think they are on an F1 circuit with an F1 car when going around curves. I shudder to be inside of these guys when those vans are leaning heavily when going much too fast on curves.

Looks like it was a spare tyre already on the right front. Perhaps if he had been driving at a more sedate speed he might have avoided the crash whistling.gif

"Looks like it was a spare tyre already on the right front." - why do you say that?

Hard to tell in from the photo, but it looks like a normal wheel but the hubcap has come off upon impact.

"I lost the control of the vehicle on the bend when my the right tyre burst" - tyres usually burst when they clip the kerb, at speed.

Trying to blame a mechanical fault, rather than driver error.

They are lucky to be alive.

Yes. Very French sounding names.

Does it matter? Are you trying to start the same discussion again?

The name of the second guy sounds real French BTW.

Forum is now safe knowing you're doing all the moral policing. Keep up the good fight.

Thank you, will do.

• Like 1

The rear wheel looks like a solid spoke rim and the front looks like the spare which is a little smaller and made to drive 45mph for safety not 120kmh.

"Looks like it was a spare tyre already on the right front." - why do you say that?

Hard to tell in from the photo, but it looks like a normal wheel but the hubcap has come off upon impact.

"I lost the control of the vehicle on the bend when my the right tyre burst" - tyres usually burst when they clip the kerb, at speed.

• Like 1

The rear wheel looks like a solid spoke rim and the front looks like the spare which is a little smaller and made to drive 45mph for safety not 120kmh.

I lost the control of the vehicle on the bend when my the right tyre burst. The van flipped in the air and landed on the central reservation, he said.

Now that had another look, I think NKM has a good point about the decorative cover coming off in the crash. But the blown tyre excuse is just a ruse to cover the high speed loss of control.

WIthout being clairvoyant, or literally knowing every detail involved, how can anyone believe what they hear from ... them? That is one thought about this. The other thought going through my head (any time I read about these constant dysfunctional events) is, "Can't they ever simply tell the truth so things can get fixed?"

Nah! I didn't think so.

Yes. Very French sounding names.

Does it matter? Are you trying to start the same discussion again?

The name of the second guy sounds real French BTW.

Correct for the second name - that makes it 33% for this case.

No need for discussion, it's just a running gag.

As a French passport holder, the rarity of French names among French passport holders in Thailand is just startling enough to be commented on, especially so as names are often witheld in the French press... on purpose.

• Like 1