Thai politics: Continued imposition of martial law helps nobody in the end

webfact

At this point in time it's the devil you do or the devil you don't , I am not a great one for loss of freedom , but do the Thai's need that silly nonsense that was a lead up to the Coup, especially those stored military weapons, that's a worry, it is easier to rule under Martial law , anybody steps out of line the military will fire a bullet at you, anybody speaks out you going in for re-adjustment, no freedom for the media, no internet freedom ,telephones intercepted, under this law you can do basically what you like , however the test comes when you go back as promised to (Thai) Democracy , that's the catch 22, it would be interesting to lift martial law 6 months before the Elections ,that would be the test case to see if any lessons have been learnt , I don't hold much hope in this quarter.coffee1.gif

If it had not been for those wonderful citizens they call Red Shirts and UDD members , there would have been no coup. there would have been no Martial Law... So who have the people of Thailand to thank ?

Okay for us Farangs, we can leave anytime we like and go home and cause chaos in out own countries if we want to take that path. For people who want to get along in a normal manner , go to work , come home, spend time with our families and loved ones, Martial law makes not one jot of difference .. AND .. it will not last forever,

The military are here as nursemaids for very torn-up society that almost came to civil war... Let the dust settle, allow the military to seed out those troublemakers and punish the greedy selfish peoples who brought about the coup. Allow normal good minded citizens to go about their business in a safe and secure society.. When the time is right a general election will be called and some sort of democratically elected peoples will govern Thailand again. And Big brother military will again fade into the background doing what it does best in protecting this country.

And just think where the poor Thai peoples would have been today if civil war had broken out..!!! And all you outspoken Farangs as well as the quiet ones would have been "oot on your asses" back to wherever you call home. So in my stupid opinion... Give the General a chance.... it cannot be worse .. ! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Pravit Rojanaphruk's article seems to offer good reasons of why martial law is still in place; to stop the political players from paralysing the country as occurred in 6 mths prior to Coup.

The country was brought to it's knees by a corrupt Gov't who was allowed to do so by an ineffectual opposition, but was neutralised by massive street protests and disruption to the economy.

The Army acted when it was realised the democratic processes had failed to resolve the issues.

Does Pravit really imagine Thai people want to return to similar times before the Coup? Don't think so, most Thais struggle with issue of how they will get by on a day-to-day basis; martial law has little impact on most Thais lives; only those with political motivations as Khun Pravit!

• Like 2

Pravit Rojanaphruk's article seems to offer good reasons of why martial law is still in place; to stop the political players from paralysing the country as occurred in 6 mths prior to Coup.

The country was brought to it's knees by a corrupt Gov't who was allowed to do so by an ineffectual opposition, but was neutralised by massive street protests and disruption to the economy.

The Army acted when it was realised the democratic processes had failed to resolve the issues.

Does Pravit really imagine Thai people want to return to similar times before the Coup? Don't think so, most Thais struggle with issue of how they will get by on a day-to-day basis; martial law has little impact on most Thais lives; only those with political motivations as Khun Pravit!

I think you completely missed the point of the article. The point was that martial law is not stopping anything - just delaying, with the strong possibility that it will make things worse.

Martial law does not solve problems - it merely suppresses them and produces an illusion of normalcy and security. The longer martial law is in place, the deeper the anti-coup sentiment will be and more people will end up getting detained with little or no judicial recourse. This, in fact, is a recipe for a more volatile and antagonistic state of politics.

• Like 1

Having a vision for the future is a failure of this and every Thai government since 1970.

Further, the polls being quoted are small, which creates a confidence index that is only reliable if the percentage is below 20% or above 80% for pro or con responses (examples of one ended answers such as yes/no and like/do not like responses). Those polls, none of them, showed that. Instead those polls showed a little more or less than 50% supported martial law, which is statistically invalid when projecting from a small sample. In fact, any opinion anywhere near the 50% has a very low confidence rating.

In short, opinions that hover near the 50% for small sample studies have a very high likelihood (over 90%) of being erroneous -- and this is factual error intrinsic to the methodology employed, and not related to every pollster's refusal to show the demographics of the polled individuals, nor publish the questions asked. The last bits are other cans of worms altogether.thumbsup.gif

So what affect is Martial law having upon you and me as individuals,?

Well in my case no impact at all in my and our daily routine.

But then again we aren't corrupt thieving politicians or a wanna be new political dynasty family

So to all those naysayers who seem to think things were better before why do you take that stance?

Is due to political beliefs, business concerns, stipends paid to political commentators etc etc.

You came here because of what you saw, now some of you want to change it for that which you left and now want the country to be, just go back to where you came from lie down take a rest and you'll soon feel better, perhaps

Let's adopt anarchy then we'll all be happy.

Edited by siampolee

Out where I live in rural Thailand we have not seen any of the "evil soldiers" wreaking vengance on anybody.

In addition I haven't seen any soldiers up in Khampaeng Phet or even down as far as Nakhon Sawan or points in between and both places were supposedly full of Red Shirts.

Out here people just get on with their lives and leave wannabe politicians and rabble rousers to do their thing elsewhere.

@bruce64 post #7 Quote "For as long as such people don't have a problem with the indefinite imposition of martial law, they obviously don't care how others might suffer. Also, it clearly means nothing that other citizens of this country have been denied freedom of assembly or freedom of political expression since May last year."

Oddly enough those people are law abiding and are also known as the majority in the country. You of course support the views of the majority, don't you?

Martial Law doesn't affect any foreigner here. We have no voice in the political process. Martial law in upper Thailand affects Thai's who wish to have a political voice, i.e it suppresses any discussion, let alone dissent.

It's not in place to suppress violence, it's in place to suppress thought and speech.

As for the ludicrous suggestion that it 'stops mayhem and chaos' on the streets of Bangkok, well if Martial law was so good at that, I ponder why in the deep south, where martial law has been in effect for years, bombs & killings occur with depressing regularity

Without martial law, chaos will beback quickly in Bangkok streets.....

Without martial law, red mobs will beback to burn city......

In my opinion you are mistaken. The only thing Martial Law is doing is preventing political discussions by many people especially those in Isan. The other thing it is doing is preventing any critical comments about the military or the so called government. When it is dropped I wonder how the PM will handle the three fingered salutes he receives?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At this point in time it's the devil you do or the devil you don't , I am not a great one for loss of freedom , but do the Thai's need that silly nonsense that was a lead up to the Coup, especially those stored military weapons, that's a worry, it is easier to rule under Martial law , anybody steps out of line the military will fire a bullet at you, anybody speaks out you going in for re-adjustment, no freedom for the media, no internet freedom ,telephones intercepted, under this law you can do basically what you like , however the test comes when you go back as promised to (Thai) Democracy , that's the catch 22, it would be interesting to lift martial law 6 months before the Elections ,that would be the test case to see if any lessons have been learnt , I don't hold much hope in this quarter.coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Mmm, yes those stored military weapons.Curious how the finds dried up very quickly, wasn't it? And those public displays of thousands hundreds? of weapons where no mention was made as to whether they were part of the "weapons caches" found or in reality a display of the weapons handed in by the public as the result of the weapons "amnesty" (incidentally the number of guns owned by civilians in Thailand is estimated (in a 2007 academic paper) at around 10 Million, 6 million of those not registered..............) Enough for a "Civil War", or just enough to fan the flames of disinformation?

And the Kohn Kaen Model conspiracy - how's that going? Those 40-70 year old plotters still in jail awaiting their trial.(http://isaanrecord.com/2014/06/12/khon-kaen-model-raises-questions-in-the-northeast/), (http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/4431)

Yes Martial law is definitely needed, if you happen to be paranoid.

How many Coups without Martial law introduced , do you recon

Out where I live in rural Thailand we have not seen any of the "evil soldiers" wreaking vengance on anybody.

In addition I haven't seen any soldiers up in Khampaeng Phet or even down as far as Nakhon Sawan or points in between and both places were supposedly full of Red Shirts.

Out here people just get on with their lives and leave wannabe politicians and rabble rousers to do their thing elsewhere.

@bruce64 post #7 Quote "For as long as such people don't have a problem with the indefinite imposition of martial law, they obviously don't care how others might suffer. Also, it clearly means nothing that other citizens of this country have been denied freedom of assembly or freedom of political expression since May last year."

Oddly enough those people are law abiding and are also known as the majority in the country. You of course support the views of the majority, don't you?

I can't speak for the majority, and nor can you. The majority does not have a say since their right to vote has been taken away twice - first by the disgraceful vote blocking and more permanently by the junta.

I do know that tourism has been impacted by many things, and the coup and martial law is right up there. According to this article, 1 in 10 Thais are involved in the tourism industy, and this industry has been hit very hard. But I guess you don't care about Thais who have lost their jobs or businesses as a result of martial law.

http://www.bangkoknews.net/index.php/sid/230363087

That puts you in the first category - and the quote from the article applies to you:

"For as long as such people don't have a problem with the indefinite imposition of martial law, they obviously don't care how others might suffer. Also, it clearly means nothing that other citizens of this country have been denied freedom of assembly or freedom of political expression since May last year."