For those of you with newer Direct injection engines. Important maintenance info.

WarpSpeed

2013-Cadillac-ATS-Direct-Injection-engin

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/direct-injection-engines-improve-performance-save-fuel-price-193000698.html?bcmt=1424210475979-94154479-d470-43aa-aff2-c2dd20572191_00002g000000000000000000000000-93bb025c-0c01-4a4d-b8e9-ec1bfbfd5849&bcmt_s=u#mediacommentsugc_container

It has been touted as the automotive holy grail, the ultimate marriage of better performance and greater fuel economy. It’s the direct-injection (DI) engine, the latest technology designed to squeeze more mpg out of cars. And it has actually been delivering results.

For example, the Mazda3’s combined fuel economy jumped from 28 mpg in 2010 to 32 mpg in 2012 in our testing of the new Skyactiv engine. Other automakers have been using direct injection to add horsepower—the Cadillac CTS, for example, gained 34 hp—without any sacrifice in fuel economy.

So now as I suspected years ago there's definitive proof and good reason not to drive like a nanny. Especially if you have a DI engine, it needs to be blown out and some fuel additives added to cleanse the valves but still it is not going to work directly as the deposits are upstream of the fuel injection, therefore never in the fuel stream like previous FI, or carbureted systems.The only thing I know of that will work is to have your engine run and a cleaner injected while it's running to clean off the carbon deposits that come through the PCV system which normally the fuel system would clean off with regular running, but does not with DI engines. Another option is to install a catch can ala racing systems and then if you need to get service or have an inspection then have it reconnected and the can removed, but definitely some things to give serious consideration to on the new DI engines.

While there is some merit in the article, direct injection has been around for a while and isn't new.

It is the EGR system and resulting hot recirculated gasses and oil vapor that gums up inlet manifolds and thereafter possibly valves not the method of fuel injection. EGR can be fixed with a blanking plate and oil vapor with a catch can. If you keep your vehicle for more than 100,000km then the net result is probably more environmentally friendly than all these nanny state mandated emission control systems.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 1

As clearly stated in the OP it IS the method of fuel injection that matters as DI carbons up the valves without any way of cleaning them and much of that is directly due to not having the fuel flowing over the valves and cleansing them which is not the case with other forms of fuel injection. The article has more than merit and while the engines have been around some time the point being missed here obviously is that the long term wear and related issues are just now cropping up precisely because the tech has finally been around long enough to show these issues and it is directly due to the location of the fuel injection, the tech is irrefutable.. As I mentioned in the OP I suggested your course of action though it couldn't be anything permanent in application though.

Edited by WarpSpeed

My point is, that direct injection does not cause carbon build up. The EGR system does. Its just that when fuel is passed through the manifold (aka not directly injected into the cylinders) , it happens to help wash of carbon deposits or prevent them from building up.

The article in my opinion wrongly implies that direct injection is the cause. It isn't, it only connection with the process is that direct injection takes away the cleaning action of a problem that already exists - caused by EGR.

Take two identical direct injection engines and disable the EGR system on one. The one without an EGR system operating will have a significantly cleaner inlet manifold.

• Like 1

My point is, that direct injection does not cause carbon build up. The EGR system does. Its just that when fuel is passed through the manifold (aka not directly injected into the cylinders) , it happens to help wash of carbon deposits or prevent them from building up.

The article in my opinion wrongly implies that direct injection is the cause. It isn't, it only connection with the process is that direct injection takes away the cleaning action of a problem that already exists - caused by EGR.

Take two identical direct injection engines and disable the EGR system on one. The one without an EGR system operating will have a significantly cleaner inlet manifold.

Yes, I noted that already, I don't see the article implying that, IMO it is very descript of what causes it and still it's semantics, the injectors are not located in the manifold or anywhere up stream of that, they are directly in the combustion chamber and so yes of course the EGR system is what does the damage in all cases but in other FI or carbureted applications the valves will get cleaned by the air/fuel velocity striking it and the cleansing action that the fuel has against oily deposits that otherwise can/will build up and harden over time like what is happening now, especially when they get heated to such high temps, hardened and bonded to the valves.

I see BMW now has been thinking along lines I had conceived some time ago as well and now here is a tech that might solve not only this problem but similarly be a good app for LP applications as well.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-brings-water-injection-system-m4-safety-car-192955600.html

bmw_100500934_m.jpg

Since 1999, BMW has been the official car of the MotoGP motorcycle race series. This new year is more of the same for the automaker, but it's also more of the new. BMW has employed its M4 for safety car duty, and it's fitted the decked-out coupe with a unique injection system under the hood.

I had water cooled brakes on one of my race cars where it was allowed, I used my former windshield water bottles and pumps for the water and then recycled the condensation from the cool helmet system back into the water tank to help extend the use, as it was activated by my brake applications during long races and if my brakes were not getting hot enough as it was quite effective, I had a shut off which allowed me to bypass the function to better regulate the usage postponing a refill and let the condensation collect a bit, the switch on my dash was aircraft grade and it lit up red when it was operating and white when in off mode so I could keep track of when it was on and not. The windshield wiper switch on the column also operated to provide a manual application if I needed more then a given braking zone provided or if it just wasn't getting enough and I needed to apply more cooling without using the brakes, that seldom ever happened though, but still it was an effective and easily added feature so I figured why not have the added options? If it was a shorter sprint race I didn't worry about it as I had enough most times and mostly used the manual as needed any way but in either case having it was still a massive advantage even if it ran out eventually as the competition had nothing and it made a huge difference in braking and extending my brake life just that extra bit from the race beginning.

That same system only including rain collection could be adapted to recycle the A/C condensation to refill this reservoir which produces far more water then did my cool helmet system and with rain water collection as well I think this could be a more user friendly system but as it stands now it may be a pain in the tail. The other upside is that both of those water sources are pretty much pure for the most part so acting basically like distilled water to prevent other mineral deposits collecting or damaging critical systems, especially the injectors.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well done! Excellent find! I haven't seen this episode, I wonder though, was that stig in the flesh?

That was series 1, episode 3 - which pre-dates James May on the show. According to wikipedia, that wasn't the Stig though.

Edited by IMHO