Royal Enfield in the news

onlycw

News Flash Dated - (soon)

Honda to begin production of 500cc single motorcycle to compete for market domination with the Royal Enfield.

Or the SR400/500...

Honda just can't leave a market alone can they?

If Honda (or any other reputable manufacturer) made an SR knockoff and priced it realistically I wouldn't complain whistling.gif

The SR400 is reasonable priced in both U.K. and U.S.....approx. equivalent THB 150,000 so why here is it 260K... I would snap one up at 150K but with what happened on the tax with Triumph I just don't want to end up in the future with a bike that can be purchased new at a fraction of the cost I paid...Still waiting on some bargain Triumphs to come on the market but sellers still asking more for an 7 year old T1 than a new one??? the mind boggles

Some unfinished business for the new UK Technology Centre - fix the oil leak. biggrin.png

To be fair - my Enfield Bullet Thunderbird that I ran in India didn't leak any oil and it was a very enjoyable bike to own.

And according to the BBC - Enfield India now sells more bikes globally than Harley.

I hope they get a local dealer in Thailand. 500 Classic for me.

It's rather amazing that the oil leak problem persisted during 60 years of UK production

(1910-1970), but now with production in India evidently the problem is solved.

As with many British motorcycles, it was a beautiful machine, but too many flaws.

To be fair, until the introduction of the Honda Hawk in 1962 all motorcycles leaked oil to the point that Cycle World complained the Hawk didn't as the chain wasn't getting oiled automagically.

• Like 1

There were recent efforts to import RE into Thailand, but I heard rumours, that RE was ask to pay 3 million THB for the Homologation of one model (not unit) only, not counting import taxes and such. I could image, that either Honda, or one or more of the other big players on the market in Thailand, would not be very fond of another competitor and made there moves with the DMV way ahead.

I received this letter from India back in October 31st 2014:

Hi Mr Walter,

Thanks for your mail to us, We don’t have authorised associations with the site you are mentioning, Please note the following ;

1) At present we don’t have any authorised dealers appointed in Thailand.

2) We don’t see possibility of our bikes being sold authorised way in Thailand in few weeks.

3) We don’t have bikes made to pass the Thailand Homologation norms .

4) We are searching and looking to appoint distributors and dealers in Thailand and if any party is interested, they can contact [email protected] , [email protected] and [email protected] .

5) We are happy to note that customers are interested in our bikes and we will surely reach them once we appoint any authorised network in Thailand.

Once we appoint any Thailand network- we will inform it officially on our website. Please do refer our website www.royalenfield.com for more details on our authorised network globally.

Have a good day ahead.

Best Regards,

Manoj

Highly doubt that any of the big players have enough pull to do such a thing. After all, their import models will be stung with the same problems...

The newly retro-release of the Yami SR400 is $6,000usd.....apparently very well built and in limited production.

Still,very pricy for what it is......oh,ya, kick start only. Anyone know the Thai-price??

I hope Honda ramps-up a retro offering soon.

Honda to begin production of 500cc single motorcycle to compete for market domination with the Royal Enfield.

Or the SR400/500...

If Honda (or any other reputable manufacturer) made an SR knockoff and priced it realistically I wouldn't complain whistling.gif

I don't know about the Honda 500 single, but the SR400 is a tiny bike.

Used to have a Honda,single,500,scrambler.Couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground.

My Two Enfields I have in India....One Petrol and one diesel

attachicon.gifAfter Total Rebuild.jpg

attachicon.gifThe Diesel after rebuild.JPG

perfect. i rode the diesel one too, what a noise!

where do you live/lived there in India

I lived in Powai, Mumbai........Now in Thailand HH.................My bikes are still in India, awaiting the right time / opportunity to import them..

Pics before rebuilds,

attachicon.gifBefore Rebuild (2).JPG

attachicon.gifD' before rebuild.jpg

Wow,diesel,betcha that chugs up the Himalayas no probs.

• Like 1

I eagerly await posts from those who replied with their own listing of production number totals from each manufacturer world wide.

How about this one.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/5-of-the-worlds-best-selling-motorcycle-brands-do.aspx

Ducati, which can be viewed as a luxury brand in the motorcycle world, also has luxury-type sales numbers. In 2012, Ducati sold around 44,000 two-wheelers.

BMW's Motorrad division sold a whopping 117,100 bikes in 2012, of which 106,400 were BMWs and 10,700 were Husqvarnas.

America's favorite cruiser comes in at second place with 249,849 bikes sold around the world in 2012

And the winner is ...

Honda's motorcycle division sold nearly 15.5 million motorcycles in 2012, of which 13.2 million came from Japan and other Asian countries. In North America the company also dominates, with 153,000 bikes sold,

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/yamaha-reports-increased-net-profit-in-2014-even-as-sales-number-drops-slightly-ar167704.html

Japanese motorcycle company Yamaha has reported an increase in sales by 5.3 percent on the strength of increased sales in developed markets. According to data released by the company, Yamaha’s overall sales for 2014 actually declined by 3.4 percent from 5.65 million bikes to just 5.39 million this year. So how did the company increase its sales revenue?

yes, of course Honda is the biggest motorcycle manufacturers and seller on Earth and again followed by another Japanese maker.

yamaha's less sales but more profit might be originated from many factors. it can be cost cutting measures, loans with better interests, new techniques on manufacturing, better work flow arrangements, if they are using existing tooling at newly released bikes, better deals from part suppliers, better shipping rates with the falling petrol prices or they might be going lower quality on the parts or manufacturing process etc etc.

Some unfinished business for the new UK Technology Centre - fix the oil leak. biggrin.png

To be fair - my Enfield Bullet Thunderbird that I ran in India didn't leak any oil and it was a very enjoyable bike to own.

And according to the BBC - Enfield India now sells more bikes globally than Harley.

It's rather amazing that the oil leak problem persisted during 60 years of UK production

As with many British motorcycles, it was a beautiful machine, but too many flaws.

To be fair, until the introduction of the Honda Hawk in 1962 all motorcycles leaked oil to the point that Cycle World complained the Hawk didn't as the chain wasn't getting oiled automagically.

Honda motorcycles of today leak oil!!! Read this: http://hondacb500fproblem.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

yes, of course Honda is the biggest motorcycle manufacturers and seller on Earth

With the exception of the CBR150 I would hazard a guess as most people would call the smaller bikes scooters.

To say Honda is the largest 'Motorcycle' manufacturer is misleading.

Or the SR400/500...

But how can they match a beauty like this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/motorbikes/1331513d1421934168-re-continental-gt-captain-signing-10465532_10152504427959176_240519451961646220_o.jpg

• Like 1

yes, of course Honda is the biggest motorcycle manufacturers and seller on Earth

With the exception of the CBR150 I would hazard a guess as most people would call the smaller bikes scooters.

To say Honda is the largest 'Motorcycle' manufacturer is misleading.

c'mon, they sold 15,5 million bikes and give wings directly to 15,5 million household and indirectly around 75 million people around the globe and this is just a year.

i dont know seedy, but reality bites that i know.

then it is up to you to believe whatever you like if facts are not enough for you.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

A friend of mine bought a 350 Bullet in India many years ago, and took it aboard his sloop. He keeps it on-board for transport when he visits islands around the world. I last saw him in Florida eight years ago, the bike was covered in rust, but still ran well. Got an email response from him last week, he still has it, it still runs good; must be 40-45 years he has had it.

• Like 1

None of my 1960 bikes leaked oil, you just need to install the gaskets properly.

Oiling the chain can't be classified as a leak.

Bullets were good bikes (but the 250 was slower than the besa) and it will be good to see the Indian version back in the UK (I hope they improve the welding around the tank). Only pity is that production had to leave the UK as Brits who had the world wide motorcycle market in their pocket in the 50's could not get off their lazy bums and compete with Honda.

But the Yamaha SR400 is a great single thumper if you can get a properly registered one here.

post-221948-0-92790400-1424426678_thumb.

None of my 1960 bikes leaked oil, you just need to install the gaskets properly.

Bullets were good bikes (but the 250 was slower than the besa) and it will be good to see the Indian version back in the UK (I hope they improve the welding around the tank). Only pity is that production had to leave the UK as Brits who had the world wide motorcycle market in their pocket in the 50's could not get off their lazy bums and compete with Honda.

But the Yamaha SR400 is a great single thumper if you can get a properly registered one here.

Besides Norton, Triumph, and BSA in those days, there were Ariel, Brough Superior, Matchless, Francis Barnett, Rudge Vincent, and many others. The British government at that time, failed to impose harsh import taxes on Japanese motorcycles, which were built (as we say), for a handful of rice and a kick in the butt.

With some efforts like mergers (Norton Villiers), and a decent technology exchange, Great Britain, I believe so, would still be running a competitive motorcycle industry today. Look at it from another viewpoint. Britons have designed the most appealing and beautiful motorcycles, and cars in this world. Nobody does it better.

Besides Norton, Triumph, and BSA in those days, there were Ariel, Brough Superior, Matchless, Francis Barnett, Rudge Vincent, and many others. The British government at that time, failed to impose harsh import taxes on Japanese motorcycles, which were built (as we say), for a handful of rice and a kick in the butt.

With some efforts like mergers (Norton Villiers), and a decent technology exchange, Great Britain, I believe so, would still be running a competitive motorcycle industry today. Look at it from another viewpoint. Britons have designed the most appealing and beautiful motorcycles, and cars in this world. Nobody does it better.

that is arrogant to say. especially while living in asia.

why cant you say brits do not have enough mind and dedication to do things like japanese do? while brit mechs were drinking in the pub, japs were developing their engines most probably by doing overtime and they became no 1 on motorcycle sales and production at the end.

lucas refrigerators, leaking bikes etc sure uk is not the cradle of tech, does not it?

moreover forget about bikes, they got richer than brits at the end overall!

Edited by ll2

Honda motorcycles of today leak oil!!! Read this: http://hondacb500fproblem.blogspot.com/

Hmmm...looks like Richard's writing...and it even has the same replacement parts list he threw out on another thread. But Honda has admitted there was an issue with the camshaft bolt (which whomever wrote the blog refers to as a "crank-case-shaft." and even called people (myself included) in to have it checked and or repaired.

If it's arrogant to say because he's living on Asia, were you in Japan or UK during the "70"s?

As you say LL2 , show me a link or its lies

no i was not but numbers dont lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

sorry if i offended Brits, just could not hold myself after some discriminative comments.

but we have to look at our a..s..s..e..s first before saying things to others's a..s...s...e...s.

Edited by ll2

Was just messing with you LL.. Seriously though, it was the crap government and unions in those days, not the workers IMO.

Ride Safe

no worries bro. i apologize if i offended any Brit around.

i have no problems with UK as i have very good friends from there. my problem is discriminate words.

and i believe Japanese are more hardworking and dedicated people than Europeans and Americans. this is what i see and what numbers show.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Was just messing with you LL.. Seriously though, it was the crap government and unions in those days, not the workers IMO.

Ride Safe

no worries bro. i apologize if i offended any Brit around.

i have no problems with UK as i have very good friends from there. my problem is discriminate words.

and i believe Japanese are more hardworking and dedicated people than Europeans and Americans. this is what i see and what numbers show.

I think a couple of posts have been deleted.

But hardworking and dedicated are pretty subjective and I would like to take a bet that the majority of contributors to TV (and certainly the majority of Brits) would much rather be riding a wonky frame Bonneville to the pub than living and working like the average Japanese.

However, I do not want to knock anybody or any country; my initial comments were meant to be rather tongue-in-cheek. I am very happy that we have so many marvelous Japanese bikes and we should not forget the contributions by the Italians - 8 cylinder Gilera's + the fantastic MV 4's and Desmo Ducati’s, not to forget BMW's, etc.

I would state that the Manx Norton was and still is the most beautiful bike ever produced. But only marginally, so many modern bikes are fantastic to look at and have amazing performances, plus modern oils, tires, electronics, engines, frames and suspensions (everything) are vastly superior to the bikes of the sixties.

If I could have only one bike from the past (leaving out the Manx) it would be the 1962 Honda 125cc Twin with the swinging arm forks. That was a great looking bike, better than the Dream 250.

But isn’t it great that Triumphs and Ducati’s are also made now in Thailand; and it’s just amusing to me that the old Royal Enfield’s, which have been one of the mainstays of Indian motorcycle production for decades, are now going back to be made in the UK.

It is a shame that the yanks have not really made any really great strides in motorcycle development; choppers being a kind of retrograde step and Harley’s only catching up a bit in the last few years on the real technological improvements made in Europe and Japan.

Roll on every improvement to motorcycles in the future and lets hope that the new track in Buri Ram will see all the great riders competing at the highest levels very frequently in Thailand now we have a world standard track.

• Like 1