Staying in Thailand (most of the time) legally on a Tourist visa

This is my first post and my apologies if I use incorrect terminology. I have had a Thai Retirement Visa for 18 months and my Philippine girl friend has been studying Thai on an Ed Visa for the same period. We may terminate the Ed Visa and I would appreciate advice on how many days a year my GF would need to be away from Thailand if she is using a Tourist Visa. For example, if each calendar quarter we spent two months in Thailand and then travelled overseas for 4 weeks would Immigration find this acceptable? Could we even "push the envelope " further and spend two months in Thailand and then travel overseas for only one or two weeks each quarter ? My concern is to ensure that the approach would be totally acceptable to Immigration. Thanks in advance for your assistance !

This is my first post and my apologies if I use incorrect terminology. I have had a Thai Retirement Visa for 18 months and my Philippine girl friend has been studying Thai on an Ed Visa for the same period. We may terminate the Ed Visa and I would appreciate advice on how many days a year my GF would need to be away from Thailand if she is using a Tourist Visa. For example, if each calendar quarter we spent two months in Thailand and then travelled overseas for 4 weeks would Immigration find this acceptable? Could we even "push the envelope " further and spend two months in Thailand and then travel overseas for only one or two weeks each quarter ? My concern is to ensure that the approach would be totally acceptable to Immigration. Thanks in advance for your assistance !

As you would have found searching before posting.

There is no regulation. She can stay all the time on tourist visa. immigration doesn't have a voice on that because visas are issued by consulates not immigration. Some consulate may at some point ask to see proof of funds.

The fact that I am confused is an understatement Ubonjoe ! Perhaps it may help if I rephrase my question. Lets say my GF enters Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa. On the 59th day, we take an overseas flight and return to Thailand 3 or 4 days later. On arrival in Thailand she is given another 60 day tourist visa and we again take an overseas flight on the 59th day. Our intention would be to repeat this process every two months on an indefinite basis. My concern is that we may be perceived to be doing "Visa runs" and some Immigration officer at the airport will give her a hard time. Do you think taking three day overseas trips would be acceptable to the Thai Govt authorities or would it be better to take 1- 2 week overseas vacations ?

Tourist visas have to applied for at an embassy or consulate you don't get them on arrival. Only a 30 day visa exempt entry is obtained on arrival.

A 60 day tourist visa entry can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

If she has a tourist visa that allows more than one entry she can enter and get the 60 day entry then do the 30 day extension leave and re-enter within minutes to use the next entry with no questions asked.

She could get a 3 entry tourist visa in Bali that would give her almost 9 months of total stay. She would need to show tickets out of the country for each entry up to 90 days apart.

The fact that I am confused is an understatement Ubonjoe ! Perhaps it may help if I rephrase my question. Lets say my GF enters Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa. On the 59th day, we take an overseas flight and return to Thailand 3 or 4 days later. On arrival in Thailand she is given another 60 day tourist visa and we again take an overseas flight on the 59th day. Our intention would be to repeat this process every two months on an indefinite basis. My concern is that we may be perceived to be doing "Visa runs" and some Immigration officer at the airport will give her a hard time. Do you think taking three day overseas trips would be acceptable to the Thai Govt authorities or would it be better to take 1- 2 week overseas vacations ?

"Lets say my GF enters Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa. "

Do you mean she actually has a single-entry tourist visa issued at an embassy or consulate?

If so, she can enter for 60 days and then extend that for an additional 30 days at an immigrations office.

If you mean she gets a 30 day visa exempt entry (as the name suggests it is an entry allowed without a visa) and then gets an extension for 30 days at an immigration office, if this is done repeatedly an immigration officer can either warn her or refuse her entry if she appears to be abusing this facility.

It would be better if she could get an actual Tourist visa at an embassy or consulate. As said above, the decision to issue a visa is up to the embassy, not immigrations. Not sure how easy it would be for Philippine nationals to get a tourist visa even at the embassy in the Philippines.

Which consulates or embassies seem to be the best for approval rates for single or multiple entry tourist visas for younger single Filipino women tourists? Was any additional documentation needed, like plane tickets, income statements, bank statements, etc.? I've heard that its hard for them to get approvals at the Thai consulate in Manila even for a tourist visa.

Which consulates or embassies seem to be the best for approval rates for single or multiple entry tourist visas for younger single Filipino women tourists? Was any additional documentation needed, like plane tickets, income statements, bank statements, etc.? I've heard that its hard for them to get approvals at the Thai consulate in Manila even for a tourist visa.

You would start with Manila, then Laos once in Thailand.

My phillipine GF and I got a tourist visa at the thai consulate in Georgetown, Penang.

Hers was free of charge and no questions were asked.

Manila won't give them without loads of documentation and questions and even then the chances of approval between zero and none. That's why I was asking for other options. Laos is easy? Now questions or documents needed? Good to know.

My phillipine GF and I got a tourist visa at the thai consulate in Georgetown, Penang.

That's very good news too! Good to know Penang isn't going to be difficult like Manila.

And we got a 30 days visa extension at Hua Him immigration office in 15 mins.

• Like 1

"Which consulates or embassies seem to be the best for approval rates for single or multiple entry tourist visas for younger single Filipino women tourists? Was any additional documentation needed, like plane tickets, income statements, bank statements, etc.? I've heard that its hard for them to get approvals at the Thai consulate in Manila even for a tourist visa."

My GF has had several 60 day TV from Manila, all with no problem and AT NO COST as she is from an ASEAN country. Yes, I provided a letter of invitation, including accommodation, flight, income and bank details etc. If the girl is on her own it may be difficult to get one, but if you are with her it is not that hard.

"Manila won't give them without loads of documentation and questions and even then the chances of approval between zero and none."

Not my experience, but you do need to have supporting papers to show she will not be working illegally and will return to RP.

Edited by biggles45

Shiraz... If your girlfriend is from the Philippines, she can actually work in Thailand without any hassles now (according to the AEC 2015 agreement). If she works in any job, she can come and go (and stay) as long as she wishes (as far as I know).

I've heard similar but remains unclear now. Is that true now in 2015? And can Filipinos live in Thailand too even if they are not working? Do they need any sort of visa for either living and working or just living in Thailand?

Shiraz... If your girlfriend is from the Philippines, she can actually work in Thailand without any hassles now (according to the AEC 2015 agreement). If she works in any job, she can come and go (and stay) as long as she wishes (as far as I know).

That is not correct there is no such provision in the AEC agreement that starts on December 31st of this year.

Many people for some unknown reason seem to be equating the AEC with the EEC which it is not.

• Like 2

Patently untrue. The very limited labour provisions of the AEC are not yet in effect and will apply almost exclusively to a small number of professions. "Blue collar" employment is not included, so there will be no influx of waiters, waitresses and bar tenders. I suspect that Thailand will quickly erect administrative barriers to even the limited number of professionals eligible under the treaty.

• Like 1