TNT Bomb Discovered Near Thaksin's Residence

Thaising

Netfan & John K-

Good stuff - all very plausible.

As has been voiced here I wonder what the next crafty move will be ?

I doubt whether it will be long coming ?

To see the future you must look to the past.

The common error in thinking is they think they can get away with it and can avoid the mistakes of others made in the past. There would need to be total ruthlessness and repression on Thaksin’s part for it to work. I doubt the Thais would have any of that. That type of government would end tourism completely. When was the last time you heard of vacation packages to Iraq, North Korea or other countries like them. Tourism is the life blood of Thailand.

The tide is ebbing for Thaksin and he will be incapable if preserving himself and the economy at the same time. All his energy will be diverted to saving himself. People that may have benefitted from Thaksin polices will discover the well has run dry. Then they too will turn on Thaksin. News for the economic front already shows this.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that has not silenced sceptics who note that police at the scene initially described a much less powerful and sophisticated device and that it was found on the first official day of campaigning for a general election scheduled for Oct. 15.

Newspapers quoted experts as saying the wires in the bomb, which police said was the second biggest in Thai history after one found in a foiled plot to blow up the Israeli embassy in 1994 :D , were not connected properly. :D

OH MY!... the SECOND largest bomb in Thai history???? :o

They were also quoted as saying the explosive materials police said they found in the car would have caused damage over a 50-yard radius, not the 1 km (1,000 yards) the government said would suffer.

This is a considerable difference, roughly 400:1, LESS than the government claim.

"What we still don't know is who are the others within this group and what were their activities," he said.

Hmmm... I thought he had said earlier they knew exactly who was involved in this "charismatic" group.

- Reuters

Open mouth , insert foot, close mouth, and chew, spitting out the usual inconsistencies.

Is it me or does this Lt Thawatchai Klinchana, a suspect in the alleged bomb plot targeting caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra look drugged or semi conscious in all the arrest photos?

Or semi conscious, and in shock, as being an innocent party, who doesn't know what is going on, and hasn't seen the script for how this is all supposed to go.

Well it appears Thaksin’s side requires a confession or the scam will sink. With the state the driver was in I doubt the public will see it the same as Thaksin. The public will read it as a coerced confession with little truth other than admitting he was driving the car. Based on how fast John Karr confessed to the Thai authorities, the public can easily see a contrast as it is fresh in their minds.

It also sends a second signal, Go against Thaksin and you too can have this wonderful new look.

After the 'car bomb' news was released , photographers were invited in at Government House and what was apparent and noticeable to many was Thaksin's mood.

Rather than looking shaken, worried or visibly disturbed like most people look after an assassination attempt, he was chatting merrily with others about this and that, like what's a car bomb betwen friends?!

Did pictures of Tawatchai being dragged/drugged make into Thai papers? It's awful. What have they been doing to him?

Does he have a lawer yet?

I still think that Thaksin will try to downplay the issue and push it away from the front pages - they can't pump out enough official news and no one outside the government seems to believe the official line.

PR-wise they hoped people would gossip about who among Thaksin's enemies was behind the plot and rally behnd the pm, but it seriously backfired as people gossip about Thaksin himself staging a show.

The setup was so uprofessional - for the first few hours the police created the impression that the bomb wasn't live. "Car laden with explosives discovered", not "Bomb hidden in the car".

Even now the official version that the bomb was wired but the electronic circuit was turned off, while one of the "experts" hired by the governemnt claims that the bomb didn't go off because the guy with the remote was too far, or his view of the car was blocked.

The Nation has a list of ten questions about the "bomb" that need to be explained and reconciled to believe in the assassination attempt, I don't know if it's online.

After the 'car bomb' news was released , photographers were invited in at Government House and what was apparent and noticeable to many was Thaksin's mood.

Rather than looking shaken, worried or visibly disturbed like most people look after an assassination attempt, he was chatting merrily with others about this and that, like what's a car bomb betwen friends?!

Oh that’s good to know. A normal person would be visibly shaken unless medicated. But even if he was medicated that would show too. It would take a person several days to get over the thought of escaping death. The fact he did not go back home is another clue, most would be looking for a dose of tranquilizers and rest to get over the mental trauma. The amount of stress he is under would make it highly likely he would be showing some signs. By your description it suggest this was some sort of reduction in stress. Body language does not lie, I hope there is footage and Thais read it well. I suspect some news clips will be in order here with proper captions with what to look for, a man who just launched a plot or a man who escaped death.

Edited by John K

60 hours later, still nothing about the 4 or more other men of whom Thaksin dared say publicly he knew their names. :o

well, if Thaksin does know who they are and what plots they were planning. .. he's not telling the police by the gist of this report?!?!?!

Meanwhile the clock keeps ticking on Thaksin for him to reveal something... anything... about all this intelligence he knows about....

Tick tock.... tick tock.... tick tock.... tick tock.... say, that sounds just a like a .....

ALLEGED ASSASSINATION PLOT

No more arrests 'at this time'

Police dismiss rumour two more warrants on cards

The police have no intention of seeking the arrest at this time of more suspects in connection with the alleged plot to take caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's life, a senior officer said yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Army has suspended the one person arrested in connection with the alleged plot, Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana.

Thawatchai continued to deny knowledge of the purported bomb plot. He said he was simply hired to drive a car later found to contain explosives. It was parked along a route taken by the prime minister's motorcade.

Following a meeting of senior police yesterday, Crime Suppression Division commander Maj-General Winai Thongsong dismissed rumours that investigators planned to apply for arrest warrants for two more suspects.

Winai said the evidence remained scattered and was insufficient to implicate any other suspects at this time.

However, police now believe others involved were near to the car and preparing to detonate the explosives at the time it was intercepted.

Police spokesman Lt-General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj said the investigation was continuing.

When asked if Thursday's incident had been staged, he said people could speculate all they wanted but the evidence would reveal the truth.

He said all the facts would come out when the allegations were tried in court.

Prosecutors would call witnesses such as bomb expert Lt-Colonel Khamthorn Ooncharoen, he added.

Royal Thai Army commander-in-chief General Sonthi Boonyarat-glin said he suspended Thawatchai from duty on Friday, and would assign a committee to consider disciplinary action against him.

Police continue to question Thawatchai, who has explained his movements on the day of his arrest.

He woke at 5am, left home for Suan Reun at 6am, and arrived at the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) office before 8am.

He met a man named Jui in the cafeteria and was asked by him to fetch the car. He did so and was arrested.

He told investigators he was an office worker and had no knowledge of explosives. He was "astonished" when police found bomb materials in the car.

Thawatchai's statement does not, however, tally with Isoc records that show Thawatchai drove the car from the office at about 5.40am.

Police officers reported that Thawatchai had warned them to "beware of the switch!" when they were searching the car.

Thawatchai has been visited by his wife, Sangworn Tadjampa, 45, and family members, and has been provided medicine for a thyroid condition.

The family has engaged a lawyer and will seek bail tomorrow.

Relatives refuse to talk with the news media.

- The Nation

60 hours later, still nothing about the 4 or more other men of whom Thaksin dared say publicly he knew their names. :o

well, if Thaksin does know who they are and what plots they were planning. .. he's not telling the police by the gist of this report?!?!?!

Meanwhile the clock keeps ticking on Thaksin for him to reveal something... anything... about all this intelligence he knows about....

Tick tock.... tick tock.... tick tock.... tick tock.... say, that sounds just a like a .....

The police have no intention of seeking the arrest at this time of more suspects in connection with the alleged plot to take caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's life, a senior officer said yesterday.

- The Nation

Okay, I'm a Prime Minister. And there has just been an assassination attempt. One guy has been arrested and I know who the 4 others are. But there is no rush to arrest them or even bring them in for questioning. Which means they are free to, oh, I don't know, try again? Or flee the country. Is there anyone out there who believes this is anything other than a botched attempt to stage a hoax? Please, please post so we can all be enlightened.

60 hours later, still nothing about the 4 or more other men of whom Thaksin dared say publicly he knew their names. :D

- The Nation

The main actor can't remember his lines. :D Why bother having more actors on stage?

They were saying yesterday "There's no need to beef up security" and up to 10 suspects would be now be allowed to wander freely? :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Well this is one of the cases that the more Thaksin says, the faster people on the fence will realize that it was all setup by Thaksin. He needs to milk this as long as he can, but yes time is running out. Scenario 2 or 3 are looking more likely per post# 172. His court date will come. I would not doubt that he would try to say the plaintiff had a hand in this too as an effort to delay. Remember the more panic he is experiencing the less logic is applied to his actions.

Thawatchai and wife in tearful reunion at prison

Emotions ran high in the detention cell of Thawatchai Klinchana, the suspect in the alleged bomb plot against the prime minister, after he was allowed a brief reunion with his wife yesterday. Tears ran down Lt Thawatchai's face as Mrs Sangworn threw herself to hug him from the other side of the bars in the Crime Suppression Division detention cell. She was accompanied by a daughter, relatives and a lawyer. She refused to answer any questions from reporters and did not allow cameramen to take video recordings. Mrs Sangworn brought clothes and medicine for Lt Thawatchai, who has a thyroid disease.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/27Aug2006_news09.php

------------------------------------------

This is good news... he's still alive, so this weekend is NOT a "Weekend at Bernie's" scene.

It's also good news that a "Farang Prince" scenario is also avoided. Let's hope that his days of confinement already, without his medication, has not been overly dangerous. If he was taking Thyrax, Euthyrox, Levaxin, Eltroxin, Levoxyl, or Synthroid... it very potentially was.

Edited by sriracha john

Meanwhile, the Army has suspended the one person arrested in connection with the alleged plot, Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana.

Thawatchai continued to deny knowledge of the purported bomb plot. He said he was simply hired to drive a car later found to contain explosives. It was parked along a route taken by the prime minister's motorcade.

Following a meeting of senior police yesterday, Crime Suppression Division commander Maj-General Winai Thongsong dismissed rumours that investigators planned to apply for arrest warrants for two more suspects.

Winai said the evidence remained scattered and was insufficient to implicate any other suspects at this time.

However, police now believe others involved were near to the car and preparing to detonate the explosives at the time it was intercepted.

So will they next tell us that these others, near to the car and knowing what was inside, unlike the almost-driver of the vehicle, were some of the top people in the military ? Don't hold your breath.

Police spokesman Lt-General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj said the investigation was continuing.

He said all the facts would come out when the allegations were tried in court.

Does anybody still believe there will be evidence linking the ignorant driver's boss, of 3 months earlier, in any way ? So WHY did the all-knowing acting caretaker unemployed PM sack him, within a few minutes of hearing of the 'plot', then refuse to name or sack any of the other senior officers involved, who had been supposedly under observation for months ?

ANSWER : DL has yet to get their names - from his fortune-teller ? :o

He met a man named Jui in the cafeteria and was asked by him to fetch the car. He did so and was arrested.

What was learned from questioning 'Jui', where is he - under arrest or what, this possible link to the real creators of this explosive-device ?

- The Nation

Nobody has yet explained the supposed switch in drivers. The initial photos show an unblemished face, yet the suspect had a large mole on his face :o

I still maintain that it's all smoke and mirrors and just a ploy to gain sympathy, and divert attention away from the likes of European princes dieing in custody, bashings of elderly at Siam Paragon, forthcoming court cases, airport corruption allegations and all the other nasty stuff that he would just love to be swept under the carpet.

When are people going to see through him?

Nobody has yet explained the supposed switch in drivers. The initial photos show an unblemished face, yet the suspect had a large mole on his face :o

I still maintain that it's all smoke and mirrors and just a ploy to gain sympathy, and divert attention away from the likes of European princes dieing in custody, bashings of elderly at Siam Paragon, forthcoming court cases, airport corruption allegations and all the other nasty stuff that he would just love to be swept under the carpet.

When are people going to see through him?

That would have to be one heck of a big carpet ! :D

"Pichai Obayawat, director of the security division, said security measures at Government House had been revised following the bomb scare.

''Government House is the symbol. A big bang can ruin the country's image,'' he said."

Funny- I thought they already had a man doing that job??

Abhisit urges Thaksin to arrest four military officers 'linked' to bomb plot

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva Sunday urged caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to arrest four military officers linked by the premier to the bomb plot against him.

Abhisit said since Thaksin had said there were four military officers behind the bomb plot against him, he should have enough information to convince him so.

"So, legal action must be taken and arrests must be made immediately," Abhisit said.

The Nation

source: http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/r...newsid=30012088

Once again, the PM puts his foot in his mouth and he can't produce results. Nothing but a shameful and low stunt.

Thailand's Thaksin is accused of fabricating attempt on his life

By Thomas Fuller International Herald Tribune

Published: August 25, 2006

A high-ranking military officer dismissed over an alleged attempt to assassinate Thailand's interim prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, denied any involvement Friday and called the plot a fabrication.

"If I had done it, I guarantee that the prime minister would not have survived," General Panlop Pinmanee, the deputy chief of the Internal Security Operations Command, told reporters in Bangkok. "I think Thaksin cooked the thing up to damage me."

The discovery Thursday by police of a car laden with explosives near Thaksin's residence has added intrigue to an already shadowy political battle between the Thai leader and groups in Bangkok vowing to oust him from politics.......

Thaksin said Friday that "three or four" military officers were involved in the plot and that more suspects would be arrested. "I never thought this kind of thing could happen in Thailand," Thaksin said, according to Agence France- Presse. "I don't have wicked intentions toward anybody." :o

News of the plot was met with skepticism by many in Bangkok. Newspapers pointed to conflicting reports by officers at the scene, noting that the police had been unusually forthcoming with information. Photos of the bomb-making materials and the officer apprehended were made readily available, the papers said.

"As more evidence emerges I just don't buy it," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a professor of political science at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. "The entire process was very hasty: I get the feeling that they reached conclusions even before they did any genuine investigations."

Surapong Suebwonglee, a government spokesman, sought to quash speculation that the plot was not real. "This was an assassination attempt," Surapong said in a telephone interview. "We caught the bomber. If it was a real set-up we would not have gotten any suspects."

>>>So, if they did not have a suspect, then everyone would know it was a "real set-up". Therefore, since they do have a suspect, we can all rest assured it wasn't a set-up. Beautiful logic.<<<

As a security precaution, Surapong said, Thaksin would cut back his public appearances. The interim prime minister would continue to attend to "very important" government business himself, but would not attend minor functions........

Opposition politicians said they feared that deep divisions in Thai society over Thaksin could lead to further violence. Earlier in the week, Thai television showed images of anti-Thaksin supporters and detractors scuffling, fighting that left several people injured.

Thaksin's support remains strong in the countryside, and news of the alleged plot may strengthen his party's chances in the October election.

"This immediately paints Thaksin as a victim and as an underdog," said Thitinan at Chulalongkorn University. "It will play out as Thaksin being threatened by his opponents. This will surely shore up Thaksin's popularity."

Intl Herald Tribune

Thailand's Thaksin is accused of fabricating attempt on his life

By Thomas Fuller International Herald Tribune

Published: August 25, 2006

A high-ranking military officer dismissed over an alleged attempt to assassinate Thailand's interim prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, denied any involvement Friday and called the plot a fabrication.

"If I had done it, I guarantee that the prime minister would not have survived," General Panlop Pinmanee, the deputy chief of the Internal Security Operations Command, told reporters in Bangkok. "I think Thaksin cooked the thing up to damage me."

The discovery Thursday by police of a car laden with explosives near Thaksin's residence has added intrigue to an already shadowy political battle between the Thai leader and groups in Bangkok vowing to oust him from politics.......

Thaksin said Friday that "three or four" military officers were involved in the plot and that more suspects would be arrested. "I never thought this kind of thing could happen in Thailand," Thaksin said, according to Agence France- Presse. "I don't have wicked intentions toward anybody." :o

News of the plot was met with skepticism by many in Bangkok. Newspapers pointed to conflicting reports by officers at the scene, noting that the police had been unusually forthcoming with information. Photos of the bomb-making materials and the officer apprehended were made readily available, the papers said.

"As more evidence emerges I just don't buy it," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a professor of political science at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. "The entire process was very hasty: I get the feeling that they reached conclusions even before they did any genuine investigations."

Surapong Suebwonglee, a government spokesman, sought to quash speculation that the plot was not real. "This was an assassination attempt," Surapong said in a telephone interview. "We caught the bomber. If it was a real set-up we would not have gotten any suspects."

>>>So, if they did not have a suspect, then everyone would know it was a "real set-up". Therefore, since they do have a suspect, we can all rest assured it wasn't a set-up. Beautiful logic.<<<

As a security precaution, Surapong said, Thaksin would cut back his public appearances. The interim prime minister would continue to attend to "very important" government business himself, but would not attend minor functions........

Opposition politicians said they feared that deep divisions in Thai society over Thaksin could lead to further violence. Earlier in the week, Thai television showed images of anti-Thaksin supporters and detractors scuffling, fighting that left several people injured.

Thaksin's support remains strong in the countryside, and news of the alleged plot may strengthen his party's chances in the October election.

"This immediately paints Thaksin as a victim and as an underdog," said Thitinan at Chulalongkorn University. "It will play out as Thaksin being threatened by his opponents. This will surely shore up Thaksin's popularity."

Intl Herald Tribune

It is maybe a measure of Mr. Thaksin's ability to manipulate the game that he can come out as "underdog", or a "victim", or "threatened by opponents" when he actually controls most of the media, the poce, a significant part of the army and bureaucracy, most local government etc. It is a complete inversion of the facts but he seems to always pull it off.

I have asked a few Thais here in Bangkok what they think of this and not a single one so far believes the bomb was real. They all think it was a set up by Thaksin.

I was wondering if anyone from the provinces could tell us what the reaction is there. I'm guessing it's the complete opposite.

I was wondering if anyone from the provinces could tell us what the reaction is there. I'm guessing it's the complete opposite.

Unfortunately you are right Womble. at least in the eyes of my maid. She came in all upset that someone was trying to kill the prime minister.

I went through the motions with her, explaining the front page of the Bangkok Post, and why people thought it was a farce. Eventually she grasped the fact that is was manipulated, and thought I was clever for working it out! :o

I have asked a few Thais here in Bangkok what they think of this and not a single one so far believes the bomb was real. They all think it was a set up by Thaksin.

At least here in Surat Thani, most people don't believe the bomb was real either. But then, he is widely reviled in the South.

Yeah I havn't been back to the islands since this news broke but I get the feeling that most people there will be thinking that way. I expect many down south probobally wish it was real, went off, and did what Thaksin claims it was supposed to do.

Honestly though, when you look at all the facts as they have been reported by the police themselves, anyone who thinks for themselves can really only draw the conclusion that it was a set up.

Watching Thai TV, most are reportint the government line, although the bangkok post news on channel 11 is extremely funny. Two of the presenters seem to be scared to talk about anything political, but the guy who does the business section certainly doesn't hold back with his views.

Who is he???

You've gotta love the quote from the monk who deplored the fact that it seems necessary in this day and age to plot to kill oneself. He went on to say that it is important for those plotting to kill themselves not to be too successful or they might give the advantage to their opponents!

I am getting the feeling this will head south very quicky for Thaksin probably by midweek. Literally anything else he says will add to the proof that he set this up. If he makes an arrest of military personnel accusing them of involvement, it will only add more doubt to Thaksin’s story. I think it was a good move on the Democrats part to call his bluff.

It would seem that Thaksin is trying to copy Newt Gingrich by making a statement without making a definition at to who or what he was talking about leaving people guessing. I have doubts that will work for Thaksin because Newt had respect where Thaksin has none. Most will just blow Thaksin off as a liar and they would be right to do so. I can’t think of any significant truthful statement he has made in recent months. In fact the last truthful thing I can recall was he was dissolving parliament.

At least here in Surat Thani, most people don't believe the bomb was real either. But then, he is widely reviled in the South.

Ditto for the many, many people in the East.

To remove this tyrant from office, it would go a long if these three areas worked cohesively to form a cornerstone of opposition for the entire Nation. Together with the disenfranchised peoples of other areas, it can be done.

Get this SOB out of Government House.