Volvo T5 4 and 5 cylinders

Jitar

Volvo Thailand offer the V40 with the old 5 cylinder T5 engine (B5204T9). This has 213hp, direct injection, turbo with E20 fuel.

Apparently this engine is being replaced elsewhere with the new 4 cylinder T5 (4204T15). This has 220hp, direct injection, turbo and can take E85 Fuel.

The S60 gets this engine now in Thailand.

Anyone know if there is much advantage to the new T5 engine, (apart from the E85 flexfuel) and if it will be offered in Thai V40's anytime soon?

I know someone with the 5 cylinder V40 and chipped it to 305hp and 420nm torque. The sound is amazing.

The only downside is the gearbox is the 6 speed slushbox and it's terrible through the gears compared to the 8 speed that comes in the new car 4 cylinder (edrive) which is a much nicer box.

It's a trade off, the 5 pot with the 6 speed or the 4 pot with the 8 speed.

Depends on what's important to you as power is much the same stock.

I'm a sucker for the 5 pot. It's the same engine that's in the Focus RS and the TT RS just with a reduced displacement for fuel economy. Haven't seen what chips or tuning is available for the 4 pot.

Thanks Hans. The 6 speed Geartronic is a bit ordinary, I have not experienced the 8 speed.

Seems strange Volvo market two different T5 engines at the same time. The 5 cylinder's days are probably numbered.

The dealer told us the 4 cylinder T5 in the S60 can be bumped up to 245hp with Volvo warranty. I guess this is the same ECU map used in countries without the 220hp tax barrier like Thailand.
There was no Volvo option for increasing the V40 5 cylinder T5 hp. I assume there would be aftermarket tuning options but at risk of warranty implications.

Thanks Hans. The 6 speed Geartronic is a bit ordinary, I have not experienced the 8 speed.

Seems strange Volvo market two different T5 engines at the same time. The 5 cylinder's days are probably numbered.

The dealer told us the 4 cylinder T5 in the S60 can be bumped up to 245hp with Volvo warranty. I guess this is the same ECU map used in countries without the 220hp tax barrier like Thailand.

There was no Volvo option for increasing the V40 5 cylinder T5 hp. I assume there would be aftermarket tuning options but at risk of warranty implications.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volvo/v40/first-drives/volvo-v40-drive-e-t5-first-drive-review

This is a good quick review of it.

I'd love to see the aftermarket tuning for the twin turbo.

Volvo Thailand are very lenient of aftermarket tuning. Heico Thailand is approved by Volvo. A piggyback ecu is easily removed before service and even volvo technicians recommend to so it doesn't mess with software updates for the car.

I'm surprised Volvo is offering factory tuning, it's great way to attract buyers.

Cars can't have more than 220hp in Thailand from factory due to tax implications but the T5 5 pot can easily handle 400hp. Its a very well engineered engine and that's why many still opt for it. The only thing holding it back is that gearbox. If you could mate the 8 speed to it then that would be terrific.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread.

Have really been struggling to find something turbo, 5 door, small, modern, comfortable and tunable for decent money in Thailand. Came across the V40 and it pretty much ticks all the boxes. (would prefer four or rear wheel drive but have basically given up). 2014 models can now be had for 1 million baht with sub 50,000 km on them. I am astounded they offered them here with the T5 engine.

They also released a new V40 T5 R with 20 more hp and the 8 speed auto plus smaller 4 cylinder engine for 2 million baht but is out of my budget.

My question is, what tuning option do people know of?

I searched online for the typical stage 1, stage 2 kits and couldn't find anything exciting at all.

Edit: I found this site, but 10% power increase is not so inspiring: http://www.rica.nl/chiptuning.php?v=37-541-2485

They talk about more stages by adding typical breathing mods like intake, exhaust, intercooler: http://www.rica.nl/Stage23chiptuning.html

However to be honest any performance shop can do a custom turbo back exhaust and bigger intercooler etc.

Edited by madhav

How much extra power can the FWD V40 get to the ground before traction control / wheel spin and torque steer come to the party?

This is the problem with all of these smaller hot hatch cars. Nothing else really modern, turbo and rear wheel drive or 4WD available except the Audi Q5 but this is quite a bit larger, or maybe the Golf R but is way out of my budget. The V40 cross country in Thailand doesn't even have 4WD.

Edit: Golf R prices coming down (1.6 million) http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-bangkok-metropolitan-ratchada-huai-khwang-lat-phrao-sukhumvit/2781316/

Edited by madhav

With 220 bhp the stock car will probably be pretty rapid and fast enough for Thailand. There was a story in the main national newspaper a while ago that Volvo Thailand was selling the Polestar edition which had an extra 20 or so bhp. I'd consider one for my wife if they had good main dealer support in Rayong.

The new 2L 4cylinder T5 engine was rated at 220hp in LOS but 245hp elsewhere. Last year Volvo offered a free or low cost upgrade from 220 to 245hp. Since the old 220 hp excise tax limit was dropped from Jan 2016, the new T5's should be back to 245hp. The Volvo Thai website still shows 220hp. Wonder if this is true?

I noticed on volvos own website they offer 28 units of the T5-R version which has the 245hp engine upgrade and a few other dress up features. Price is 2 million. This is listed in the news section:

http://www.volvocars.com/th/thailand-news/news/news-and-event/121215

I can't imagine anyone selling a used model for less than 1.5 million. At that price if I had to choose between the Volvo and the golf R I would obviously pick the golf R. Huge upgrade potential and 4wd.

If the price was 1 million and I had to choose between the new Volvo vs the Mk6 GTi? Well that is an interesting choice with numerous pros and cons...

The Rica stage one package brings the power from 245 hp to 276 hp, and torque up to 420nm.

http://www.rica.nl/chiptuning.php?v=37-573-2775&tabblad=0

With a stage 2 package, i.e. intercooler, intake and exhaust, I imagine it would go up at least another 10-15% to 310-320 hp.

Would be interested to know how much boost they run from factory and if the driveline could take more boost.