recent accident

n210mp

Could anyone help please?

After my recent cycling accident I have 7 different tablets to take after breakfast and then 5 after each other meal of the day.

My question is :

Is there a way of taking all these tablets in a way that they dont hit my stomach all at the same time and cause me some indigestion problems?

Thanks Harvey

What accidents need so many tablets?

I had my fair amount of accidents but never needed any tablets.

Please write which tablets you have to take and what damages happen to you? I wouldn't be able to comment on it, but here are a few very educated people who know more.

Like if there are painkiller and you don't have pain you can drop them, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the posts, the under listed are the ones that I am now on after going to see the Doctor yesterday at Banglamung hospitol

Hydroxyzine I tablet at bedtime

Loratadine 1 tablet after morning meal

Vitamin D 1 Tablet after morning meal

Calcium carbonate 1 tablet after morning meal

Clindamycin * 4 tablets a day after meals

Vitamin C 3 tablets a day after meals

Tramadol 3 times a day after meals

Paracetamol as and when may need a bt extra pain relief

*This item was changed from 2 tablets four times a day and the omission of another tablet four times a day which I can't remember the name of yesterday at the hospital with another antibiotic which may well have been giving me an allergic reaction which has left me with intense itching and a rash all over my body

Edited by n210mp

You had an accident. Now you are on 7 different tablets !! What the hell for????

I had a very serious accident. Broken 4th5th vertabrae, broken ribs, punctured lung , broken hip,pelvis, femur.

I am on only 3 tablets.

I like your post Colinneil and the straight from the hip (albeit broken) way that you talk but if you look at the OP my question was related to how to take tablets in a manner that didn't cause me any problem like indigestion or may to avoid another allergy from a clash of tablets taken at the same time

Now when I was in Banglamung hospital ,

I think (Because really dont know) that I received the best treatment that I could have received from the two Doctors who attended to different parts of my leg and the highly efficient nurses who took care of me

I dont know about my problems never mind yours but I have faith in the two Doctors who gave me the tablets and intend to do exactly as they told me to do and take the tablets they prescribed.

In acknowledgment to the over prescribing of drugs, yes I have thought about that and whether it may be relevant here but at my age and present condition (urgh) I am not really too worried about taking to much of anything and more concerned in getting better

I hope that you will soon be feeling better Col and send you my commiserations

Regards Harvey

My back gets very sore on occasion , I have prescribed arthritis tablets , but don't take them all the time just when my back gets very sore. However the missus gets "Medicine" from the Village Pharmacy that requires me to take 5 tablets . they do work well as a pain killer , but God knows what is in them

• Like 1

So the 1st two on your list are both antihistamines. Then you have a few supplements including calcium and an antibiotic plus pain killer....

What exactly is wrong with you ? Unless in severe pain, I would skip the Tramadol and take a paracetamol when needed. As for the Vitamins, depends what your normal diet consists of as to whether you really need them ! If you have broken any bones, maybe the calcium might be doing some good but it is also an antacid, so should help with indigestion.

As pointed out, doctors here will often sell you stuff you dont need. Self medicate with a bit of research...

• Like 1

So the 1st two on your list are both antihistamines. Then you have a few supplements including calcium and an antibiotic plus pain killer....

What exactly is wrong with you ? Unless in severe pain, I would skip the Tramadol and take a paracetamol when needed. As for the Vitamins, depends what your normal diet consists of as to whether you really need them ! If you have broken any bones, maybe the calcium might be doing some good but it is also an antacid, so should help with indigestion.

As pointed out, doctors here will often sell you stuff you dont need. Self medicate with a bit of research...

I have 5 broken bones in my right leg as a result of a freak accident on the 4th of this month on my pedal cycle had to have an operation to pin the broken bones and then 7 days in hospital before persuading the Doctors that I could cope at home with care from My Wife Wan

Ankle broke

Tibia and fibula broke just above the ankle with one of the leg bones protruding and the foot swept back and arterial bleeding

Tibia broke midway between knee and ankle

Knee broke

The pain is moderate and I am not in severe pain unless I catch the leg on something and then the pain is very bad

I had the stitches and clips removed yesterday and the Doctor re-prescribed the tablets above

I had thought about reducing the Tramadol and did for a day , in the morning of that day I felt OK but later the pain was too much and I went back on the drug.

That was three days ago so now maybe I will just take 1 Tramadol a day maybe after breakfast just to get me going

The allergy though is driving me crazy and the urge to scratch the skin rash that is all over my body

Thanks once again for all the posts

What are you allergic to? Identifying and addressing that would be the priority. (I hope it is not the antibiotic -- if so, need to go off it and take something else).

You do not have to take all of these after meals nor at the same time. Keep the Clindomycin as scheduled but you can vary the others

You can take the loratadine (antihstiamine) before breakfast or midway between breakfast and lunch

You can take the Calcium, Vit C and Vit D anytime though best when the stomach not completely empty

The tramadol should be only when needed and then at least 6 hours between doses

• Like 1

I had an accident where I broke some bones, similar prescription as yours, but I don't remember antihistamines. The calcium is to aid healing of the bones, and the Vitamin D is to aid the calcium working. I believe the Viatamin C is just for general health. I only took the tramadol, when paracetamol was not enough for the pain, most days only once at night to help me sleep.

• Like 1

What are you allergic to? Identifying and addressing that would be the priority. (I hope it is not the antibiotic -- if so, need to go off it and take something else).

You do not have to take all of these after meals nor at the same time. Keep the Clindomycin as scheduled but you can vary the others

You can take the loratadine (antihistamine) before breakfast or midway between breakfast and lunch

You can take the Calcium, Vit C and Vit D anytime though best when the stomach not completely empty

The tramadol should be only when needed and then at least 6 hours between doses

I dont honestly know Sheryl

The Doctor whom I saw when the stitches were being removed was an extra to the visit at the request of Wan my wife because of the rash and itching and He took me off the other antibiotic and replaced t with the one that I am on now,

I think it started with Dic and ended with I cannot remember or similar. I also got three small bottles of starlene or something or other which I think is maybe an antihistamine clear liquid.

Thanks for the dosing advice and I will follow your suggestions

I go to see the surgeon on the 24th so will bring the allergy issues up with him.

Thank you for you kind help

Tramadol 3 times daily !!Holy shit that is excessive.

Tramadol is addictive, especially if you take like that.

I am prescribed Tramadol twice daily, but i only take once a day, so i do not become reliant on it.

Tramadol 3 times a day is perfectly legitimate for pain. Not excessive at all as it is not a very long acting opioid.

All painkillers are addictive...... However when in serious pain they are often necessary.

Edited by inbangkok
  • Like 1

I had an accident where I broke some bones, similar prescription as yours, but I don't remember antihistamines. The calcium is to aid healing of the bones, and the Vitamin D is to aid the calcium working. I believe the Viatamin C is just for general health. I only took the tramadol, when paracetamol was not enough for the pain, most days only once at night to help me sleep.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your post.

The antihistamines are for a very itchy body rash that is driving me potty.

I have slept for most of the day only rising to get my daily fix of TV

I am prescribed Tramadol twice daily, but i only take once a day, so i do not become reliant on it.

Tramadol 3 times a day is perfectly legitimate for pain. Not excessive at all as it is not a very long acting opioid.

All painkillers are addictive...... However when in serious pain they are often necessary.

if you have pain.....Would reduce them and if there is pain take them again.......painkiller you can experiment to find the minimal dose (different than on antibiotics)

• Like 1

Thanks for your post

The last time that I took Tramadol was after breakfast this morning and upto now am not feeling any great pain so have decided to see what tomorrow brings and try to do without them at all.

I will use paracetamol unless the serious pain returns and then maybe use one Tramadol a day.

Actually after the operation on the 4th of this month I was on Morphine for about 3 days after that I have been on 3 Tramadol a day up to today.

To be honest their effect seems to be not as good as before which maybe in my opinion is me getting too used them.

I dont feel any urge to use them at this point though and Aunty Joyce from the UK who is 86 also didn't like taking Tramadol, made her feel down depressed and tired and suggested that I take 2 paracetamol and 1 Ibuprofen instead.

Edited by n210mp

The Doctor whom I saw when the stitches were being removed was an extra to the visit at the request of Wan my wife because of the rash and itching and He took me off the other antibiotic and replaced t with the one that I am on now,

I think it started with Dic and ended with I cannot remember or similar. I also got three small bottles of starlene or something or other which I think is maybe an antihistamine clear liquid.

I go to see the surgeon on the 24th so will bring the allergy issues up with him.

Dicloxacillin?

Important to find out as if it was an allergic reaction to that medication it is essential to avoid it and related drugs in the future, subsequent reactions will be more severe

Dicloxacillin?

Important to find out as if it was an allergic reaction to that medication it is essential to avoid it and related drugs in the future, subsequent reactions will be more severe

Yes that was it

but as the itching and rash is still going strong I suspect that it maybe something n the house that is affecting me rather than the initial ABs

When I see the Doctor on the 24th I will ask if I can have an allergy test

On the Tramadol front, have not had one since yesterday morning and to be honest I am feeling better for it

The tiredness and apathy seem to have gone and the pain I am having now is only moderate, like a dull ache in my leg and ankle area

I had the stitches and the clips taken out on the 19th and the wounds have dried up completely but I still have to put the leg and knee support bandages on but for how long dont know.

Another question I have and that is when can I go into the pool?

With all the itching I am longing to have a soak in the pool. My thinking is that the slightly acid waters of the pool may help my skin condition recover

Do you think that it is the right time or should I wait a little longer?

Thanks for your kind consideration really appreciate your imput

Regards Harvey

Harvey,

With the stitches out and the wounds closed, getting wet in the pool is not a problem, , but you need to follow physician advice in terms of any weight bearing in the leg and leg movement. If you are already allowed some weight bearing/walking then it should be fine but otherwise better ask the doctor first.

Re the rash, it is possible that it is the tramadol you are actually allergic to, not unusual and would explain no improvement despite the change in antibiotics. If so then you need to stop it altogether.

Harvey,

With the stitches out and the wounds closed, getting wet in the pool is not a problem, , but you need to follow physician advice in terms of any weight bearing in the leg and leg movement. If you are already allowed some weight bearing/walking then it should be fine but otherwise better ask the doctor first.

Re the rash, it is possible that it is the tramadol you are actually allergic to, not unusual and would explain no improvement despite the change in antibiotics. If so then you need to stop it altogether.

Hi Sheryl

and thanks for your counsel it really is appreciated.

The Doctor told me not to put my foot down for at least two months so I guess anything to do with putting any weight at all on my leg is a big NONO!

My friend Ozzie malcolm who suffered a similar fate as me but not as many breaks and is as I am, a bit gung ho in trying to beat the system and walk before He/I can toddle did exactly the wrong thing in trying to "exercise" the problem away

The result He had to go back for more surgery to put right the damage He had done in exercising much too soon.

I will learn from his mistake but the pool s so alluring when you are scratching yourself sill all the time

Anyway I will leave it to the 24th and see what the Doctor advises.

As far as the Tramadol and an allergic reaction you could be right because it was only when I came off injected Tramadol and went on to oral Tramadol that I have had the problem, it coincided with me coming home from the hospital as well

Wan and i have been trying to think what else it could be and come up with suggestions like it came from our Two Poms who I just love to cuddle but I think that maybe the Tramadol could be the culprit

Once again thanks a million for your expertice

Just a quick status report and another of the questions I cannot find answered on t'nternet!

For the first time since the accident I felt the power coming back into my body today, a sort of energy flow that made me conscious of a more positive future especially where my beloved bike riding was concerned.

Almost as though the enthusiasm motivation gene had come back in one swoop with the positive and warm feelings that came at the realisation that I was not a washed up old fart as one of my more malicious acquaintances retorted when he was told of my accident, his actual words were "Well thats him F++++D now"

At first this third hand info hurt me because in the past I had been or felt like like an older brother to him I felt so devastated by his off hand and nasty remark, for a little while I think that his unjustified callousness made me feel very bad, even more ill.

Anyway I decided or maybe more accurately my inbuilt self preservation instinct started working and just after I had heard these sad words decided to do more exercises than before and prove my former friend wrong on all counts.

Yesterday I went into the pool for the first time since the accident and boy what a great feeling.

I made sure that there was plenty of friends around just in case I had a problem but managed to get into and out of the pool on my own and unaided.

The feeling of satisfaction I cannot describe properly in mere words, only to say that this morning I woke up with a renewed sense of optimism, strength and vigor.

I previously made a thread or did I just post about the lack of any real friends I had made here in Pattaya.

Well I always had the ability to say that I was wrong when I was wrong and I herewith hold my hands high in the air and publicly say ;

I WAS WRONG ( Comes from a good upbringing)

The number of what I thought were merely acquaintances have made me feel ashamed that I ever thought I had no real friends

The number of people who have called round to the house and repeatedly rang and asked if they could help with transport or taking Wan to Big C has been truly eye opening. To Trev and M especially for carting us around at anytime of the day or night....... my heartfelt thanks.

Maywell be a good time to also say a massive thanks to my God for the love and attention that my Wan has given me over this last few weeks in learning how to change dressing take away the toilet accessories, have the patience of Job etc and just be the best wife a man could ever have.

If I appear to write in an emotional manner I make no apology, just as I always do on TV, I tend to vent my feelings whether its frustration or happiness. In this case its an happiness related to a renewed sense of me feeling that I am one of the lucky ones.

Oh dear I got carried away again sorry about that and my question is for Sheryl and our other medical experts,

Just how long do I need to be on the antibiotics because I have been on them now since the day of the accident the 4th of Feb.

Once again thanks to all who replied and especially to Sheryl and the other medical experts

Regards

Harvey

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

Duration of antibiotic treatment depends on the condition being treated; usually a course of 7-10 days is adequate for acute infections. I some cases, such as yours where there has been an open fracture, longer duration may be needed. However, 24 days seems a bit excessive now but the decision to stop rests exclusively with the treating doctor.

Be sure to also include food items in your diet such as natural yoghurt and fresh fruit etc to help re-establishing the normal bacteria in the intestine.

Tests that can be done to indicate an ongoing infection include a white cell count and a very old but fairly reliable test such as a simple ESR or erythrocyte sedimentation rate may be useful.

ESR is simply a blood sample in a special glass tube stood upright and the rate of separation of serum and red blood cells is measured; the quicker the separation, the higher the chance of ongoing infection.

Duration of antibiotic treatment depends on the condition being treated; usually a course of 7-10 days is adequate for acute infections. I some cases, such as yours where there has been an open fracture, longer duration may be needed. However, 24 days seems a bit excessive now but the decision to stop rests exclusively with the treating doctor.

Be sure to also include food items in your diet such as natural yoghurt and fresh fruit etc to help re-establishing the normal bacteria in the intestine.

Tests that can be done to indicate an ongoing infection include a white cell count and a very old but fairly reliable test such as a simple ESR or erythrocyte sedimentation rate may be useful.

ESR is simply a blood sample in a special glass tube stood upright and the rate of separation of serum and red blood cells is measured; the quicker the separation, the higher the chance of ongoing infection.

Thanks FBN

The reason I mentioned the antibiotics is that I dont appear to have any infection at all and the way my digestive tract is working makes me feel that maybe the ABs are clearing me out to a degree that may be harmful to the way that I would get the best out of the nutriments in what little food that I am eating and also of course the vitamins in tablet form that I am taking dail may not have chance to be absorbed n my stomach.

I am next due to see the Doctor on the 24th of next month but the antibiotics will run out in the next few days so maybe I will jut stop taking them. Or maybe should contact the Doctor and ask the question

Thanks for your imput

Almost as though the enthusiasm motivation gene had come back in one swoop with the positive and warm feelings that came at the realisation that I was not a washed up old fart as one of my more malicious acquaintances retorted when he was told of my accident, his actual words were "Well thats him F++++D now"

At first this third hand info hurt me because in the past I had been or felt like like an older brother to him I felt so devastated by his off hand and nasty remark, for a little while I think that his unjustified callousness made me feel very bad, even more ill.

Anyway I decided or maybe more accurately my inbuilt self preservation instinct started working and just after I had heard these sad words decided to do more exercises than before and prove my former friend wrong on all counts.

I take, by your reply you were referring to me and just to make matters clear, If you check your skype you will see I have tried to contact you many times today.

Also where did I say you blocked me on skype.

You feel you can say what a person has said about you even if it is incorrect but to clear it up you want it done privately.

Really!

No I just didn't think that the forum was the place to discuss this sort of thing,

if I had mentioned you personally on an open forum I would have been in the wrong but I didn't mention anyones name did I Jimbo and in the general context of my post there wouldn't be many on here who would have made any connection between us in any event or for that matter even remotely interested .

PS You have just contacted me on Skype and now will post no more on this subject other than to wish you and your wife and family all the best in the future

Harvey

May I remind you. You brought it up on the forum not me. If you felt it should have been discussed privately, why didn't you contact me.

Nor have you said that I never said anything of the sort. You have left it hanging out there as if I had.and your ps makes it look I have apologised when it is you who should publicly apologise for calling me a malicious acquaintance.

As I said to you earlier I will not have people putting words in my mouth so for clarity here is what was said now you have mentioned my name. It is all written on messenger so it's not up for debate grammatical mistakes as well.

Other: I hear Harvey's had an accident. Broke his leg and ankle. Sorry to hear that

me:Oh dear that's a shame I hope he had a speedy recovery. First I heard. How did it happen,

Other: Fell off bicycle

Me: saw on Thaivisa Harvey broke fibia in 2 places, tibia, knee, and ankle. He's f@?/edd. Long recovery ahead

As you can see nothing like what your so called friend relayed to you. Now if his remarks made you feel worse blame him not me.

Edited by jimmbo

Several posts have been removed from this thread. They were considered to be inflammatory and of a personal nature.

This is a Health Forum, not one for personal conversations of the type taken out of the thread.

Keep the topic on the medical aspects of the case; personal conversations of this type do not add value and should be done offline.