Want to get my dog desexed, but having second thoughts.

giddyup

As some others have mentioned, in addition to avoiding adding to the population of unwanted puppies and (hopefully) decreasing the humping behavior, the main reason to do this is that an unneutered dog will want to wander afar, risking being hit by cars, getting injured in fights with other dogs etc. Neutered dogs live far longer.

• Like 1

Now the vet rings with the results of the dog's blood test and say his liver function isn't normal and they can't do the desexing until he completes a course of medication.

Mate, honestly change the Vets, he is pulling your leg.

Liver function has little to do with desexing.

Not to mention, liver function could be a result from tick bite.

Seriously change the Vets

Now the vet rings with the results of the dog's blood test and say his liver function isn't normal and they can't do the desexing until he completes a course of medication.

Mate, honestly change the Vets, he is pulling your leg.

Liver function has little to do with desexing.

Not to mention, liver function could be a result from tick bite.

Seriously change the Vets

I'll call in and get the blood test results, seeing I've paid 500 baht for them, but that's it, no more treatment from that vet.

If you're having second thoughts about having your pet spayed or neutered, I think you've lived in Thailand too long. It's the responsible thing to do and has many advantages and minimal risks.

The dog never leaves our yard and out house is in a gated village, so the odds of him being able to impregnate a bitch are near to zero, but that doesn't mean I won't get him done. How long is too long BTW?

I have had/lived with 23 dogs in my life, 4 right now, and would NEVER cut them. The unkindest cut.

Instead either train your dog or put up with it. Mainly, if you will not train him, welcome to HIS pack. hee hee giggle.gif

I am sorry but one of the silliest post i have ever read.

You trained your dogs to control testosterone?and stop sexual urges?

Did you also train them to walk away from a fight, territory marking?

Did you also train them to avoid testicular cancer and prostatic infections?

• Like 1

I wonder if the dog thinks:

"Hmm....if I get him fixed some way, he'll be calmer, won't wander, and will probably give me lots more attention and she won't mind, heck I hump her leg all the time, that should be enough for her.

Leg humping (from a dog or a bitch) equates to dominance in the dog World. The dog is displaying dominance over you. In other words, your dog is the pack leader, not you. You might want to address that situation before having your dog neutered. There are plenty of books giving advice on this but better still is for you to go to youtube and search for Cesar Milan/Dog Whisperer. Good luck!

Dog humping as a form of displaying dominance is only one reason they do it. It can be, and most often is, nothing more than a sexual reaction. A Google search will confirm this. However, there are other reasons to get a dog neutered, like keeping the dog population down for a start, there's also less chance of the dog developing prostate cancer.

Shall I get myself neutered to minimise the risk also?

Leg humping (from a dog or a bitch) equates to dominance in the dog World. The dog is displaying dominance over you. In other words, your dog is the pack leader, not you. You might want to address that situation before having your dog neutered. There are plenty of books giving advice on this but better still is for you to go to youtube and search for Cesar Milan/Dog Whisperer. Good luck!

Dog humping as a form of displaying dominance is only one reason they do it. It can be, and most often is, nothing more than a sexual reaction. A Google search will confirm this. However, there are other reasons to get a dog neutered, like keeping the dog population down for a start, there's also less chance of the dog developing prostate cancer.

Well you should have medical head examination, because it does not take too many cells to figure out that humans can express themselves, can go to the doctor or feel body changes, while dogs can not.

And unless you have full veterinarian education and desire to play with your dogs balls on regular basis to make sure there is no growth or irregularity in his balls, you should most definitely have that medical head exam ASAP

Well you should have medical head examination, because it does not take too many cells to figure out that humans can express themselves, can go to the doctor or feel body changes, while dogs can not.

And unless you have full veterinarian education and desire to play with your dogs balls on regular basis to make sure there is no growth or irregularity in his balls, you should most definitely have that medical head exam ASAP

This reminds me of a joke. Cletis and Bubba were sitting on the front porch, having a few beers. Bubba's pitbull was laying on the porch, licking his balls. Cletis, after a few minutes of watching the dog said "Bubba, I wish I could do that". Bubba replied "Cletis you're crazy, he'd probably bite you".

giddyup,Vet is taking the piss.

NO blood tests needed or 12 hour fasting

Its a really simple procedure, pretty painless

Dog will be more calm and loving and unless you plan to breed or let him have regular sex, its best to desex.

as above,we had ours done,he will be a different dog.

but get him a blow up doggy doll.wub.png

I have had/lived with 23 dogs in my life, 4 right now, and would NEVER cut them. The unkindest cut.

Instead either train your dog or put up with it. Mainly, if you will not train him, welcome to HIS pack. hee hee giggle.gif

did you also train him how to put on a condomfacepalm.gif as there's a lot of dirty bitch's about.bah.gif

• Like 1

Konying When I say a "mask" that's what the vet told me, I haven't seen it so it may be something designed for a dog's muzzle, I don't know. Anyway, I'll opt for the "normal" anaesthetic.

thumbsup.gif

Yep think again Vet was taking the piss,

Next time ask Vet to show you the mask, i am certain it does not exist, with every dog having different size and shape nose, its impossible and have not been invented yetlaugh.png

Really do not hesitate, the benefits outweigh the negatives and pup will be up and running in less than 24 hours, unless you have a terrorist like one of mine, who kept "removing" his stitchesbiggrin.png

I don't know where you got your 'knowledge' from Konying, but these masks do exist and are generally safer than an injection. Just very recently my vet nearby referred me to the Small Animal Hospital where they have these masks (has a specific name, but I forgot) as she found it safer for the old dog to have the operation done there than at her clinic where she only has the injection type.

Furthermore, your "advises" to Giddyup are down-right dangerous for the dog.

It is NORMAL procedure (and advisable) to have a CBC, liver and kidney test done before an operation.

And it is normal and very advisable to have the animal fast before operation, because it is highly undesirable and dangerous when an animal vomits during operation.

I've seen too many dogs that show hardly any to no symptoms of dis-ease, but where the blood-tests showed low to dangerous low platelets often together with low to dangerous low RBC. Just today a young dog went home, who is on medication because her platelets are low. She did and does not show ANY sx of dis-ease. They found out as she need to be operated on her paw and therefore did a blood test first.

In other words, it happens quite often (with tick diseases being rampant here due to the ideal climate for this pest) that a dog does not show any sx, but where the blood test indicates to wait with the operation and first treat the unnoticed other illness. And, therefore, it is *safer for the dog* to have a blood check done before going ahead with an operation.

In Giddyup's case the CBC seems be alright, but the liver isn't. Anesthesia is quite heavy on the liver as are the meds. So, as every *good* vet would and should suggest, is to treat first the liver and get those liver enzymes down before adding another burden to the liver.

Now,with Giddyup's dog the question remains what causes an elevation of the liver enzymes. One possibility is again tick disease.

Best is to ask the vet who did the blood test.

From what Giddyup wrote, this vet seems to know his stuff, has heart for the animal, comes with normal/reasonable prices, and let you *choose* which kind of anesthesia you want . Both will do the job, but the mask one is safer (and more expensive) than the injection. Pretty good vet and certainly not taking the piss, methinks.

• Like 1

Konying When I say a "mask" that's what the vet told me, I haven't seen it so it may be something designed for a dog's muzzle, I don't know. Anyway, I'll opt for the "normal" anaesthetic.

thumbsup.gif

Next time ask Vet to show you the mask, i am certain it does not exist, with every dog having different size and shape nose, its impossible and have not been invented yetlaugh.png

Really do not hesitate, the benefits outweigh the negatives and pup will be up and running in less than 24 hours, unless you have a terrorist like one of mine, who kept "removing" his stitchesbiggrin.png

I don't know where you got your 'knowledge' from Konying, but these masks do exist and are generally safer than an injection. Just very recently my vet nearby referred me to the Small Animal Hospital where they have these masks (has a specific name, but I forgot) as she found it safer for the old dog to have the operation done there than at her clinic where she only has the injection type.

It is NORMAL procedure (and advisable) to have a CBC, liver and kidney test done before an operation.

And it is normal and very advisable to have the animal fast before operation, because it is highly undesirable and dangerous when an animal vomits during operation.

I've seen too many dogs that show hardly any to no symptoms of dis-ease, but where the blood-tests showed low to dangerous low platelets often together with low to dangerous low RBC. Just today a young dog went home, who is on medication because her platelets are low. She did and does not show ANY sx of dis-ease. They found out as she need to be operated on her paw and therefore did a blood test first.

In other words, it happens quite often (with tick diseases being rampant here due to the ideal climate for this pest) that a dog does not show any sx, but where the blood test indicates to wait with the operation and first treat the unnoticed other illness. And, therefore, it is *safer for the dog* to have a blood check done before going ahead with an operation.

In Giddyup's case the CBC seems be alright, but the liver isn't. Anesthesia is quite heavy on the liver as are the meds. So, as every *good* vet would and should suggest, is to treat first the liver and get those liver enzymes down before adding another burden to the liver.

Now,with Giddyup's dog the question remains what causes an elevation of the liver enzymes. One possibility is again tick disease.

From what Giddyup wrote, this vet seems to know his stuff, has heart for the animal, comes with normal/reasonable prices, and let you *choose* which kind of anesthesia you want . Both will do the job, but the mask one is safer (and more expensive) than the injection. Pretty good vet and certainly not taking the piss, methinks.

Thank you for confirming the vets actions. I thought he may have been over-vigilant and padding the bill somewhat, but I see now that is probably not the case.

thumbsup.gif

Nienke, as i said, my dogs have been treated by Thonglor, which you are aware of is one of the top and most up to day not to mention expansive Vets in Thailand and when my old dog needed oxygen, there was no mask.

My other oldie, was taken to Uni in Bangkok and was also put on oxygen and again no mask, but plastic collar with oxygen tube sticky taped to her nose and plastic wrap.

May be you should contact Thonglor and the Uni and advise them of mask existence.

I have had 10 dogs and 20 cats desexed in Thailand and at no time, any Vet including Thonglor who charge 7000 baht for the procedure did the blood test or any of the crap you seem to think is legitimate making this Vet to know his stuff

I have had 5 dogs desexed in Australia and none were blood tested or masked.

My disabled dog who had surgery for broken spine, broken legs and broken jaw was not masked or blood tested at any time.

My car struck pitbul had numerous blood transfusions, among other surgery's to fix legs did not have a mask, nor was it offered at any time.

So either Vets in Australia and every single clinic in Pattaya including Thonglor do not have a single clue, or someone is talking little porky pies.thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

Thank you for confirming the vets actions. I thought he may have been over-vigilant and padding the bill somewhat, but I see now that is probably not the case.

Rest assured it is the case, but to feel better you can accept the other versionbiggrin.png

You got it, best to change Vets, who will not try to scam every baht out of you.

Average price is around 800-1000 for a male, though government Vets do it for free.

I have been quoted 950 baht from two different vets, but then they want to charge extra if he has anaesthetic via a mask instead of a needle. Suggesting the mask is a far safer way to go. Haven't had a lot of dealing with the vets in Pattaya, the dog is only 9 months old, but from what I've experienced they seem to be intent in extracting as much as they can.

To be honest with you, in all my years of pet ownership i have never ever seen any surgery done with mask for a dog.

In Pattaya, i had puppy undergo major surgery like broken spine, broken legs, broken mouth and it was injection, no one ever offered a mask,, not to mention its pretty much impossible to put a mask on a dogs face.

I have used cheapest Vets to most expansive one's like Thonglor and again, never a mask.

One of my old dogs needed oxygen mask and it was very hard to get it right,and again it was not a mask but a tube blowing oxygen with plastic wrapped around her head to retain some of it.

Maybe you need to look a bit closer or change vets. http://www.dreveterinary.com/veterinary-supplies/anesthesia-supplies/masks-diaphragms/anesthesia-masks-canine-feline-and-rodent-sizes. Were your expansive vets just large or friendly and talkative?

You got it, best to change Vets, who will not try to scam every baht out of you.

Average price is around 800-1000 for a male, though government Vets do it for free.

I have been quoted 950 baht from two different vets, but then they want to charge extra if he has anaesthetic via a mask instead of a needle. Suggesting the mask is a far safer way to go. Haven't had a lot of dealing with the vets in Pattaya, the dog is only 9 months old, but from what I've experienced they seem to be intent in extracting as much as they can.

To be honest with you, in all my years of pet ownership i have never ever seen any surgery done with mask for a dog.

In Pattaya, i had puppy undergo major surgery like broken spine, broken legs, broken mouth and it was injection, no one ever offered a mask,, not to mention its pretty much impossible to put a mask on a dogs face.

I have used cheapest Vets to most expansive one's like Thonglor and again, never a mask.

One of my old dogs needed oxygen mask and it was very hard to get it right,and again it was not a mask but a tube blowing oxygen with plastic wrapped around her head to retain some of it.

Maybe you need to look a bit closer or change vets. http://www.dreveterinary.com/veterinary-supplies/anesthesia-supplies/masks-diaphragms/anesthesia-masks-canine-feline-and-rodent-sizes. Were your expansive vets just large or friendly and talkative?

May be you should realize we are talking Thailand , but will take your advice, and next visit will either fly my pets to US, or tell Vets here to shop at your link provided.thumbsup.gif

Since you know how to use google,googling thonglor surely is not that hardrolleyes.gif

May be you should contact Thonglor and the Uni and advise them of mask existence.

I have had 10 dogs and 20 cats desexed in Thailand and at no time, any Vet including Thonglor who charge 7000 baht for the procedure did the blood test or any of the crap you seem to think is legitimate making this Vet to know his stuff

A simple google search shows you the existence of these masks: https://www.google.co.th/search?q=dogs+gas+anesthesia+mask&rlz=1C1AISC_enTH529TH529&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=635&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YUPpVLKUNc6WuASl_YHYBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Another google search tells you that even Soi Dog Foundation in Phuket and Care for Dogs in Chiang Mai have gas anesthesia machines. assume these machine come with masks.

And on Thonglor's facebook page: a picture of a cat at ThongLor Animal Hospital in Bangkok with a, what looks to me, mask on his/her face:

https://www.facebook.com/Pet.thonglor/photos/a.197761787015308.18183.196503423807811/370441236414028/?type=3&theater

On their website the gas anesthesia is mentioned: http://www.thonglorpet.com/inner_clinic-detail.php?id=3

And for the preparation before surgery, also on the ThongLor website (translated by google, but still readable):

Preparing for Surgery and Anesthesia.
Since there may be many factors come into effect. From health, age, illness, or even the risk of losing doping. So to keep pets safe from having to undergo surgery under general anesthesia as possible. It has to be better prepared as follows.
1. veterinary health checks are offered.
- Study
- To direct the animals.
- Laboratory tests (blood tests, urine).
- Make special cases, such as EKG, ultrasound, X-ray, etc.
2. Follow the steps as veterinary advice refrain water at least 12 hours.
Prevent vomiting Or retching food out, which could cause choking into the lungs.

Please do not forgo the bloodtest. It's absolutely necessary. It shows whether the animal will have a problem with bleeding

I said at the very beginning of this post that they already have performed a blood test and that his liver function was low.

A simple google search shows you the existence of these masks: https://www.google.co.th/search?q=dogs+gas+anesthesia+mask&rlz=1C1AISC_enTH529TH529&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=635&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YUPpVLKUNc6WuASl_YHYBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Another google search tells you that even Soi Dog Foundation in Phuket and Care for Dogs in Chiang Mai have gas anesthesia machines. assume these machine come with masks.

And on Thonglor's facebook page: a picture of a cat at ThongLor Animal Hospital in Bangkok with a, what looks to me, mask on his/her face:

https://www.facebook.com/Pet.thonglor/photos/a.197761787015308.18183.196503423807811/370441236414028/?type=3&theater

On their website the gas anesthesia is mentioned: http://www.thonglorpet.com/inner_clinic-detail.php?id=3

And for the preparation before surgery, also on the ThongLor website (translated by google, but still readable):

Since there may be many factors come into effect. From health, age, illness, or even the risk of losing doping. So to keep pets safe from having to undergo surgery under general anesthesia as possible. It has to be better prepared as follows.
- Study
- To direct the animals.
Prevent vomiting Or retching food out, which could cause choking into the lungs.

And i am telling you for the third time, even with major surgery's like my dogs had, mask was never offered, including oxygen when it was badly needed.

Would seeing the bills make you believe? 1 night stay at Thonglor in ER 9800 baht, surely if they had a mask they would have put it on, do not you think?

Edited by konying

Anyone know how to interpret his liver function results? I picked up the printout from the vet today and this is what it reads for his liver.

SGPT (ALT) 73 (5-50:10-60) unit

There is an arrow pointing up alongside the 73 indicating that the reading is high.

From the research I've done it appears that 15-66 is a normal result, so 73 is higher than normal, but is it that bad?

Edited by giddyup

Anyone know how to interpret his liver function results? I picked up the printout from the vet today and this is what it reads for his liver.

There is an arrow pointing up alongside the 73 indicating that the reading is high.

From the research I've done it appears that 15-66 is a normal result, so 73 is higher than normal, but is it that bad?

73 is slightly elevated. Not serious. (I think, not completely sure actually)

But if your vet wants to go ahead with this result, you better discuss with him.

Maybe he prefers to play is completely safe, maybe he says this happens also in healthy dogs. Those blood results can fluctuate, but how much fluctuation is allowed I do not know exactly.

I think you best trust your vet's judgement on this. smile.png

edit/added: there are different tests with different normal range results. So, be careful when looking up stuff.

I suspect 5-50 is for males and 10-60 is for females, but don't pin me on that. Again, best to ask your vet.

Edited by Nienke

73 is slightly elevated. Not serious.

But if your vet wants to go ahead with this result, you better discuss with him.

Maybe he prefers to play is completely safe, maybe he says this happens also in healthy dogs. Those blood results can fluctuate, but how much fluctuation is allowed I do not know exactly.

I think you best trust your vet's judgement on this. smile.png

edit/added: there are different tests with different normal range results. So, be careful when looking up stuff.

I suspect 5-50 is for males and 10-60 is for females, but don't pin me on that. Again, best to ask your vet.

Thanks, but I'm a little concerned that this vet is just finding reasons to sell me more and more stuff. He suggested milk thistle for his liver, which I bought, and actually take myself in capsule form, and then wanted me to buy a blood "tonic" which I refused. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, and they have the dog's best interest at heart. I certainly hope so. It's not like he's a sickly 9 month old dog, he eats and sleeps well and has plenty of energy.

Edited by giddyup

- Study
- To direct the animals.

And i am telling you for the third time, even with major surgery's like my dogs had, mask was never offered, including oxygen when it was badly needed.

Would seeing the bills make you believe? 1 night stay at Thonglor in ER 9800 baht, surely if they had a mask they would have put it on, do not you think?

It's not about what kind of treatment your dogs have or have not had.

It's about you (initially saying; in this post you are saying it a tad different) that the masks do not exist. See your post #14:

"...Next time ask Vet to show you the mask, i am certain it does not exist, with every dog having different size and shape nose, its impossible and have not been invented yet . .. "

You are incorrect there.

And you saying (post #3):

"giddyup,Vet is taking the piss.

NO blood tests needed or 12 hour fasting ... "

​That is dangerous advise and mis-information, which can be potentially dangerous for the patient.