Nan -what to see?

pontious

There are plenty of interesting temples there: Wat Phumin (famous murals), Wat Phra That Chae Haeng, Wat Phra That Chang Kam, Wat Ming Muang, Wat Suan Tan, Wat Phaya Wat, Wat Phra That Khao Noi (big golden Buddha statue), and Wat Nong Bua (murals) about 40km to the north. The night market is pretty good.

I have a house near Nan and go often. There is a central well presrved historic area that you should visit - especailly the museum and ESPECIALLY the temple with equisite wall paintings. There is also a tourist info office to tell you everything about the place. There are also a couple of old palaces associated with past kings of Nan - one in particular is all run down but absolutely fascinating - you will probably pass it annd miss it and it is difficult to gain access although a descendant of the king's family lives there - just go in and knock on the door - it's free and he will give you a tour in Thai, but like I said is fascinating.

There is a central night street market on weekends which is very nice, with many small cultural events going on there. There are always things going on at night around the central zone, especially weekends. Don't miss Tony's place for western dishes. Tony died recently but his wife carries on the tradition - it is also in the central area and you can Google where it is. There is also a Tesco's - where everyone shops!

It is an OK place and has the most sets of traffic lights in the land but but only on red/green for 20 secs. My wife is from Nan and I go to Nan every year for a day or so but I still get lost with all those traffic lights. Oh if you want a coffee after 8PM you will be out of luck,, I take a flask.

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Nan Noble House Garden Resort just outside the city centre, which was delightful, but the bonus was meeting the owner - a gracious Thai lady who told us why the resort was so named.

She is the direct descendant of a Nan noble family and then offered to show us round here family home, called the Noble House and open to the public, by request only.

It is still occupied by the family from time to time but when it isn't it is open for viewing. It is a beautifully maintained traditional nobleman's house dating back some 200 years and stuffed full of precious artefacts closely guarded by CSTV and alarms!

Well worth a visit.

Links below:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g662326-d4192103-Reviews-Nan_Noble_House-Nan_Nan_Province.html

http://www.nannoblehouse.com/

Do not miss the village of Boklua. There are two ways to get there - one via Santisuk and the other via Pua. The Pua route has fabulous scenery and you will pass hill tribe hamlets, buffaloes on the road and some other not well known but sacred sites along the way. It is a very good sealed road all the way and there is a lovely little local run resort there in Boklua to stay in. English is spoken there and the chef is famed for his great food. Try the chicken Makram [not sure about that spelling but it is a delicious local herb]. The king's daughter, Princess Prathep sometimes dines there but that does not mean it is expensive.

• Like 1

Do not miss the village of Boklua. There are two ways to get there - one via Santisuk and the other via Pua. The Pua route has fabulous scenery and you will pass hill tribe hamlets, buffaloes on the road and some other not well known but sacred sites along the way. It is a very good sealed road all the way and there is a lovely little local run resort there in Boklua to stay in. English is spoken there and the chef is famed for his great food. Try the chicken Makram [not sure about that spelling but it is a delicious local herb]. The king's daughter, Princess Prathep sometimes dines there but that does not mean it is expensive.

Absolutely, the loop from Nan to Bo Klua to Pua and back to Nan (do it counter-clockwise) is one of the most scenic roads in the north. Chicken makwaen seems to be a local dish around Nan, the only region where I have found makwaen featured on menus. Makwaen is related to Sichuan pepper, but with a lot more kick. I started a thread on this in the language section a few months ago.

Nan is an ancient Muang (principality) and the temples in Nan rival anything in Chiang Mai. The Thai restaurant scene has improved greatly the past few years and the guesthouse scene offers decent western food. I have become so enamored with Nan that despite having had a home outside Chiang Mai for nearly 30 years, I am seriously thinking about renting accommodation in Nan for a month on my next extended in-country visit.

One last note, take the road via Phayao (1251 to the 1091) unless you are really pressed for time and have a very fast vehicle that can take advantage of the longer straight stretches on the highway via Phrae.

• Like 1

I know the Pua- Borkleua road pretty well. The last time I was there, we did the trip from Borkleua turning left instead of right, and going along the mountainside to rejoin the main north road at the Lao border (then back through Tung Chang). Actually we did it the other way round....go north to the border, and take the last turning to the right past the 'market' (I suppose I have to call it that!). I think it is the most spectacular road I've been on in Northern Thailand.