Presents For Folks On Holiday Back Home

GanDoonToonPet

Hello Kitty, Ben10, and other similar stuff is cheap here and some is not available elsewhere.

Remote control cars/trucks - cheap as chips.

School supplies - pens, pencils, pencil cases, notebooks, staplers, erasers, etc. very reasonable prices and no one else at school will have them.

Art supplies - good quality pencils, brushes, paints, paper - half the price of the UK.

In Central toy store Pattaya there is a great range of really good quality wooden toys (cars, trucks, trains, kiddies kitchen ware, etc) prices are not bad.

Soccer strips for all ages - some expensive, some cheap whistling.gif .

Having said all that, I find that a crisp 20 quid note does the trick better than anything.

• Like 1

I got my old man some Thai Whisky to try out for a laugh, I also got my mum some Thai silk.. could get the nippers some replica footie tops

for a real laugh you should have taken him a Katoy

From Katoysrus?

• Like 1

those old siam style cloth elephant wall hangings and hats of the same motiff seen everywhere around Thailand are always a favorite when i get back home....

Bolts of real thai silk is a good one too...

From Pattaya in the past I've gotten In bulk knock off golf shirts newish style material 5 bundles 20 per bundle (cheaper that way)..

Great for gifts and hand out to golf buddies...

A lot of people I've met who don't know much about Thailand associate it with elephants, so any sort of thing with elephant images might go over well. (Remember, the trunk has to be raised for luck!) Try to find things that wouldn't be available in the places they live.

Once when leaving Nepal for the US, where I was going to be doing a lot of visiting and sleeping on friend's couches, on the day I was leaving I realized I should have something to give my hosts. Ran out on a quick shopping trip, I ended up getting a bunch of woodcut prints, black ink on rice paper, images of deities. I think paid US$1 for a dozen of them. Went over well as one-size-fits-all gifts. Some people had them framed. On the other hand things like mirrored vests would have ended up in a closet, maybe worn once at Halloween.

What would a Westerner do with one of those Thai pyramid pillows other than attract dust?

Last time I went back to see folks in UK was 1983. Took silk material for mum & sis to make evening dresses from. For dad it was a crocodile skin wallet. Unfortunately on arrival it was all missing. Probably Air Lanka staff at plane change in Colombo had helped themselves to it.

• Like 1